Day of Anger

Tunisianbelle

'Don't call me Darling!' Mod
Staff member
Tomorrow, Friday 29 April, is the "Day of Anger" in Monsastir.
  • Magasin General, Monoprix, all hanouts, patisseries, etc will all be closed.
  • The airport will be closed and there will be no flights in or out of MIR
  • Taxis, Louages, Trains, and Busses will NOT be working.
  • The road between Sousse and Monastir (in front of the airport) will be closed starting at midnight.

If you are in Monastir, be sure to get bread and other things you will need for tomorrow (the strike is only supposed to last one day) tonight.

Tunisianbelle

Staff member
They are trying to be pains in the behind! :mad:

They are protesting the fact that flights are going to NBE.

W

WouldI

They are trying to be pains in the behind! :mad:

They are protesting the fact that flights are going to NBE.
awwwwww I bet it will be a pain for you ...and probably for some tourists (so quite short-sighted if tourism is ever to recover..) I doubt it will change anything - surely in building a larger, more modern airport it was to be inevitable that the flights would go there. Perhaps there hasn't been enough/any communication with the people/workers about the future plans for Monastir airport (if, indeed, any plans exist), so they are (rightly or wrongly) assuming the worst.

Tunisianbelle

Staff member
Monastir isn't closing. People are upset because (at least for the near future) flights are encouraged to go to NBE to help it establish itself.

The worst part is, those who want to do the protesting are obliging EVERYONE in Monastir to protest. They have gone out in groups today to warn business owners that if they are open tomorrow, their business will be damaged/destroyed.

Tunisianbelle

Staff member
My son will like this because it means he gets a day off of school!

W

WouldI

Monastir isn't closing. People are upset because (at least for the near future) flights are encouraged to go to NBE to help it establish itself.

The worst part is, those who want to do the protesting are obliging EVERYONE in Monastir to protest. They have gone out in groups today to warn business owners that if they are open tomorrow, their business will be damaged/destroyed.
That kind of mentality seems to be the unfortunate by-product of the revolution - that change can only be be achieved by force and destruction.

Tunisianbelle

Staff member
So far, things are pretty normal. Granted it is only about 7:30am. Cafés are open, some hanouts are open, there are some kids walking to school..........Let's see how things are later in the day during the midst of the big strike which is supposed to really kick off around 10am.

CUDDLE

Thanks for keeping us informed about these events, it is really useful, esp for those who are visiting Tunisia in the near future.

Tunisianbelle

Staff member
Today was the "Day of Anger" in Monastir.

Most cafés stayed open, but other than that, not much else. A few things were open in the morning, but quickly closed around 10:30 when the protest was in full swing marching from the airport to the government building.

All schools were closed. Some kids had walked to school this morning only to be told to go home.

There were no flights into/out of MIR today as the whole airport was completely closed.

No trains, buses, taxis, or louages worked to/from or within Monastir.
  • The road leading into/out of Monastir by way of Sousse was blocked at the airport. Any Taxis/louages/busses that had passengers had to leave them off there.
  • The road into/out of Monastir by way of Sahline (behind the airport) was blocked near the railway tracks. Any Taxis/louages/busses that had passengers had to leave them off there.
  • The road into/out of Monastir by way of Khnis was blocked at the roundpoint in El Agba. Any Taxis/louages/busses that had passengers had to leave them off there.

There was a taxi caught in the Center Ville today who wanted to give a ride to a man, and the taxi driver was smacked around and forcefully told that would be his one and only warning not to work today.

Two hanouts were open this morning in the neighborhood of R6, and their hanouts were destroyed because of it.

As of 6pm, roads are now open, and some hanouts and small business have opened up as well. Most things still remain closed, and transportation is still completely stopped until tomorrow unless you have your own car.

W

WouldI

Personally, I think it's disgusting behaviour to react with violence toward those who didn't want to participate and it makes me less sympathetic to the cause. These people, after all, are only trying to make a living too. The perpetrators should be ashamed of themselves.

paula01

I agree Woodz, is their answer now to resort to violence if they dont get what they want? even against their own people! I think this is the way they are going to react in future to anything or anyone who does not agree with them..... bully tactics now they can get away with anything so it seems.:huh:

Tunisianbelle

Staff member
I also wanted to add.....

Yesterday more than 7 cars were vandalized, protesters were fighting with the police and military when they were asked to leave property alone, and this morning there are reports of multiple boutiques/hanouts having been vandalized due to being open when they "shouldn't have been". I'm sure more will come out as the day goes on.

CUDDLE

This kind of actoin helps no-one, the revolution has instilled an unwelcome factor into Tunisian society. Ordinary folk now seem to think they can do whatever they want, it is destroying all the good they have achieved.

the highlander

I read this with sadness, but i also find it normal when society breaks down
Tunisia on the world stage has been overtaken by lybia and now the assaination of bin ladden
Do the people still not trust the police?
if not why are the army not taking control of civil policing until the election?
What you have is mob rule and as i said on other forums that was my biggest fear

North Africa and middle east is not used to democracy as we know it here in the EU or USA
there have always been dictators
When the old powers left ie BRITAIN, FRANCE, ITALY
they were replaced with home grown bully boys that grabbed power
be it nassar in egypt to gdaffi in lybia
I do really hope this time the people get what ever democracy they want
but will it be like the west
i doubt it
al the best
the hairy one

This kind of actoin helps no-one, the revolution has instilled an unwelcome factor into Tunisian society. Ordinary folk now seem to think they can do whatever they want, it is destroying all the good they have achieved.
We thought everything was getting back to normal, so why did the goverment delay all decission, i don't get it xx

Top Bottom