divorce laws help needed

Discussion in 'Ben's Corner' started by dave king, Jul 31, 2012.

1. annabella

annabella Active Member

Dave i am going to send you a pm, i know your ex wife and her husband !

sparkle and NetNiet like this.
  2. NetNiet

NetNiet EVIL member :D

As other members already did say, you're divorced in the UK, but if you didn't handle it in Tunisia seperetaly than you might be still married here in Tunisia.

As long as you don't have plans to get in Tunisia again, don't worry about it, because for you now, it doesn't matter.
    Like the other members did say , if your husband wants to get married again, than he has to take care of it in Tunisia.

It's even possible to get divorced in Tunisia without the European woman knowing it, it even happends that Tunisian man did this and pretended to the European woman still being happily married. So yes he could have taken care of it, without telling you.

Concerning the birth certificate from your husband, that is the way how you will be able to see if it has been taken care of here in Tunisia, because if you're married or divorced, that is the paper which will say it here in Tunisia.

marilyna likes this.
  3. crazypink

crazypink The Muslim One!

If you divorce in the UK - you would NOT be divorced in Tunisia. You would be free to marry anyone else (other than another Tunisian!)
    If you go back to Tunisia - you would STILL be married there unless you divorce in Tunisia (or regisiter the divorce there)

NetNiet, sparkle and marilyna like this.
  4. crazypink

You are divorced in the uk - but still married in Tunisia.

This would only ever be a proiblem if you want to marry another Tunisian.

5. crazypink

If he wants to remarry, he would have to divorce you in Tunisia. It makes NO DIFFERENCE to you at all lol. It will cost him if he wishes to remarry so dont worry about it.

Like I said it only affects you if you wish to marry another Tunisian man.

6. scoobydoo

scoobydoo Active Member

You are 100% divorced here in the UK and according to every other country in this world other than backward Tunisia....unless you want to marry another tunisian i wouldnt give a flying fk whether you are divorced out there or not, the only person it will affect is him if he wants to get married again. Then even in that instance, let him sort it out and pay for it etc....

As far as you going on holiday there, why would it matter whether or not you are still married...?

Pat yourself on the back that you got rid of him and live your life!

7. scoobydoo

scoobydoo Active Member

I cant see any reason why it would be....the only scenario i could imagine would be if you were with another guy and he/someone saw you....its adultery and that is a crime there....the chances of anything happening are slim, but its a chance...so as long as your not planning of any PDA's with a bloke while your there you should be fine x

NetNiet likes this.
  8. DragonZest

DragonZest TLR tester

NN ment: "As long as you don't have plans to get involved with another Tunisian again, don't worry about it, because for you now, it doesn't matter."
    Just a little bit was lost in translation ;)

NetNiet, crazypink and Munki like this.
  9. scoobydoo

scoobydoo Active Member

Yeah he can get divorced over there without your knowledge...its not legal, but its easy to do! Again though Habibi, why do you care? You are divorced in the UK and thats all that matters!!

10. scoobydoo

scoobydoo Active Member

THe court has to send you papers....they can give a false address....the court sends out 3 sets of papers...if there is no response to this, then they just grant the divorce....absolutely ridiculous i know but.....

marilyna likes this.
  11. Mona1

Mona1 Well-Known Member

I think it is less the Tunisian laws but, in this case, the lack of respect of the man for those laws and for his wife. The court has no idea where the wife lives nor does the court know if she has received the letters. It must assume that no contact means that the wife has no interest in the marriage. It is just an extension of the criminal rat behaviour, really, and does not happen that often. Most of the rats just want out and are happy to divorce and move away from their wives.

NetNiet and marilyna like this.
  12. scoobydoo

scoobydoo Active Member

Yes i agree its a lack of respect...however here in the UK the divorce isnt just granted without proof that the other party has received the necessary paperwork.....i dont think they should be assuming anything.....i know of at least 5 people whom this has happened to....i think thats a lot and i expect there are many more....

marilyna and tunisiasun like this.
  13. Ariel

Ariel Under the Sea Staff Member

Yep - very true, we have to go to huge lengths to ensure that we can prove they have received the notice of divorce e.g. paying a bailiff to hand deliver it.

marilyna likes this.
  14. Mona1

Mona1 Well-Known Member

Five, my goodness, that is a lot of people. Why would they divorce them and still live with them? Grounds for throwing them out of the UK, I would say. Did the women tell the UKBA?

What if you are divorcing in the UK and the other person lives in another country? It is not always possible to get proof of delivery in some countries. Does that mean that the divorce does not go through in the UK? I am not defending Tunisians just wondering what would happen in this case.

15. Ariel

Habibi- Lou, in short, if neither you nor your ex husband have registered the divorce in Tunisia then you are still married in Tunisia. He might have divorced you there without any involvement from you (he might even have done this before your divorce came through in the UK). You are free to remarry anywhere other than in Tunisia if you are still not divorced there. The only complication I can possibly think of if you visit Tunisia and he knows where you are is if you have any outstanding financial issues which he might then want to chase up as part of the marriage contract?? I don't know in reality if this happens but it may be worth checking out xxx

16. Ariel

I think that you can have it brought before a Judge and, as long as you can prove that you have tried every means of finding that person and having proof that they have receive the papers then he can decide whether to let it proceed minus the other party's signature (so it is at a Judge's discretion)

NetNiet, marilyna and Monastirienne like this.
  17. scoobydoo

scoobydoo Active Member

Nooo i mean where the wife is in the UK and the husband is still in Tunisia...the cases i talk about are those men divorcing the wives behind their backs!!

Thats right tunisiasun, and its not just a case of saying you have done everything you have to prove it too! For me this divorce after 3 sets of papers is an absolute farce.....like most things in tunisia - esp laws- its utter nonsense....

marilyna and tunisiasun like this.
  18. Mona1

Mona1 Well-Known Member

Sorry I misunderstood, I thought both were in the UK.

As for the laws....I will not comment as some of our laws are farcical as well. Tunisian law is, if I remember correctly, based on French law. There is a very good website in French offering free advice, from lawyers, on Tunisian law. Not sure I remember what it is though.

Before going into a marriage with a Tunisian, one should remember that it is a country outside of Europe and everything is different. As have said many times before, getting married to a Tunisian is not something for the faint hearted and you need to be very, very clear what you are getting yourself into.

NetNiet, sparkle, marilyna and 2 others like this.
  19. scoobydoo

scoobydoo Active Member

Yes we do too.....
    I can bet my life that in France they dont just hand out divorces like sweets, the way they do in tunisia! Its astounds me actually, seeing as its a muslim country with a huge emphasis on family life....

Oh believe me, been there done that got the whole kit!:eek:

marilyna likes this.
  20. Mona1

Mona1 Well-Known Member

I remember you that you have gone through the mill with yours, I seem to remember that it was very traumatic and I can understand your anger which is totally correct.

The Tunisian law is based on French law but surely not the same! Divorce is in all countries these days. The Saudi woman with whom I was chatting told me that her parents were divorced and that it is now more usual. Her husband only had one wife but his brothers all had several. We are a Christian country and should also have a strong emphasis on family life and protecting children but do we? Again, I am not supporting what goes on but saying that things are changing all over the world and the relgions no longer has anything to do with it.

21. scoobydoo

scoobydoo Active Member

Interesting, I have never mentioned on here anything that has happened to me, may I ask what makes you think I went through the mill??!

Yes of course divorce is in all countries, my point is that they should not be handing them out willy nilly the way they do, maybe a few more checks etc wouldn't go a miss!

22. BrownGirl

BrownGirl Moderator And Queen of Summaries Staff Member

But you have mentioned in on t.com .....

The problem is not with divorce but with the attitiude people have to marriage. Removing the stigma of divorce is not a bad thing, children are much better off with divorced parents than with parents who are constantly fighting and miserable.

23. scoobydoo

scoobydoo Active Member

I have referred to it there yes, but have never gone in to any great detail!

The problem isn't the divorce but the way it's handled, it should not be allowed to pan out the way it t does for some. Is it right that a man in Tunisia is able to divorce his foreign wife without her knowledge?? No it's not.

Thankfully this wasn't my situation I divorced the Tunisian scum

24. BrownGirl

BrownGirl Moderator And Queen of Summaries Staff Member

Certainly not, I agree!

25. Mona1

Mona1 Well-Known Member

As BG said, it was mentioned on T.com and obviously what you said left the impression on me that you had had a tough time. If I misinterpreted what you said and it was not the case then I apologise for my assumption.

NetNiet, tunisiasun and scoobydoo like this.