divorce laws help needed

Discussion in 'Ben's Corner' started by dave king, Jul 31, 2012.

1. sarah152

sarah152 New Member

Hi plz i need help and advice ,
    • ,i m tunisian , my tunisian friend has a problem with her husband ,he is british ,they ve been married since 1 year ,they both want to divorce but he won't to follow tunisian laws at least she can protect her rights ,he didn't spend money on her since july as his responsibitily ,she doesn't work and she can 't pay the lawyer for divorce . he ask her to send him divorce paper ,then he will send her her compensation ,but he is malicious and he want to cheat her . she went to lawyer and he told her that she can sue him from tunisia but it s difficult to apply the tunsian law in england ! she can't stop crying ,her husband is not man,he married her after when he get bored ,he wants to divorce her. what can you advice her !!!

2. crystal

crystal The Punchy Scot

Troll go away....

Heidi, marilyna and MH007 like this.
  3. Big Bang Theory

Big Bang Theory Well-Known Member

It is not possible to apply Tunisian law in England so she cannot sue him - the lawyer is lying.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    sarah152 likes this.
  4. MH007

MH007 Moderator Staff Member

Well said!

Xxx

Heidi likes this.
  5. sarah152

sarah152 New Member

thank you so much for answering ,you are right dear . really she doesn't know what she have to do now, she needs hepl and advice.

6. Big Bang Theory

Is she living in Tunisia and her husband returned to England ?

sarah152 likes this.
  7. sarah152

sarah152 New Member

she lives in tunisia,she applied for uk visa but it was refused ,her husband originally from pakistan but he has british natinality and he has british passport ,he lives with his parents in England , also he has 4 sisters they live in England

8. Big Bang Theory

If she lives in Tunisia and he lives in England she cannot sue him.
    If he returns to Tunisia she can sue him there.
    If they married in Tunisia she can divorce him in Tunisia (even if he stays in England and never returns to Tunisia)
    If he wants to divorce her I don't think he can do it from England (because she never lived there) so he would have to return to Tunisia to divorce her.

sarah152 likes this.
  9. Big Bang Theory

Do they have any children ?

sarah152 likes this.
  10. DarkTown

DarkTown Well-Known Member

she is asking about the fee for her living after divorce since she wont be able to get it since he took off to the UK

sarah152 likes this.
  11. sarah152

sarah152 New Member

no hun ,they don't have children ,he took copy of their marriage contract translated to English , do you think he can register marriage contract in England then he can do the divorce in uk and go throught british courts !!!

12. Big Bang Theory

If he stays in the UK she cannot sue him for the living fee. If he returns to Tunisia she can sue him there but he will probably just return to the UK and then there is nothing she can do.

sarah152 likes this.
  13. DarkTown

tell your friend to forget him and do her divorce and then look for a job, its a useless case , he might never come to Tunisia

Big Bang Theory likes this.
  14. sarah152

sarah152 New Member

thank you so much for help guys xx, but do you think if he register the marriage contract in England , can he do the divorce in uk and go throught british courts !!!

15. Big Bang Theory

I don't think he can divorce her in the UK because she never lived there. But I am not sure on this point. (it would be very expensive for him to do this in the UK)
    It is possible that he can employ a lawyer in Tunisia to do the divorce for him there (would be much cheaper for him) but I think he would have to return to Tunisia for the court hearing. Again I am not sure on this point.

DarkTown is right. The best thing she can do it divorce him in Tunisia and move on with her life. It is very, very unlikely that she will ever be able to get any money from him

16. sarah152

sarah152 New Member

my friend is sick ,she keeps looking for job ,bt it s difficult to find job in tunisia mainly after the revolution ,she finish her studies and she was working as secretary with lawyer in the past ,anyway i will tell her that .

17. Big Bang Theory

Probably best if she can talk to the lawyer she worked for - if she thinks he is trustworthy

Heidi likes this.
  18. DarkTown

best luck

19. DarkTown

no lawyer would give advice for free and she already said she has no money to do so

Tactfull likes this.
  20. sarah152

sarah152 New Member

yes you are right guys ,i will tell her that ,tunisian laws say if husband ask for the divorce , instigate proceedings ,he must pay her the compensation in condition to accept to divorce him .

21. Big Bang Theory

If she is not in a hurry to get divorced maybe she should wait to see what he does ??

If he wants the divorce and if he must do it in Tunisia, perhaps he will have to pay her ??

sarah152 likes this.
  22. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

She can forget about that. Your friend better get a divorce in Tunisia and get on with her life. She can get a copy of her wedding papers there in court.
    In Tunisia after a divorce there is no alimony, if the woman is childless. What kind of compensation are you taking about ? Even if the tunisian court would grand her compensation and he was back in England, she would have to sue him at an english court if he did not pay.
    Anyway, if the marriage is not registered in England, he is not legally married in England. He might think, it´s cheaper to keep her.... if he never wants to visit tunisia again.

crystal, Laurence and sarah152 like this.
  23. sarah152

sarah152 New Member

thank you so much for your help guys xxx

24. wallah

wallah Well-Known Member

''Dear''? ''Hun''? ''Guys''? In 13 years I have never heard a Tunisian woman use any of those words :confused: however, I ask, did her anticipation of easy money fail to materialise as she'd expected Sarah. Apologies for being cynical - it comes with living here too long I'm afraid.

crystal, Laurence and Heidi like this.
  25. Lalalove187

Lalalove187 Active Member

Yes. It seems like she's more after the money than the actual divorce

Laurence likes this.