Staff member
By 'one of ours' I meant a TLR member

alAzima

Administrator & Voice of Reason
Staff member
I thought she looked familiar.

marilyna

Chocolate Connoisseur
C'mon Al Azima, confess, it is you,:D, gosh I was trying to figure out what she was saying ROFLMAO.

alAzima

Staff member
I had a hard time understanding her as well and wasn't sure if she really was American or not, but the guy says she is (the taller, older guy with the gut yelling next to her and sometimes translating what she says into Arabic for the benefit of the crowd)

She's saying she thought this was a free country, she came there because they (??) told her it was a free country and she has the right to go to (Friday) prayers at the mosque and not be attacked and she doesn't have to put up with their crap, etc etc.

It was cracking me up though ( I know I'm awful) because it's all English but she throws in some wallah's every now and again and it's a huge pet peeve of mine.. I find American women with Tunisians and the only word of Arabic they speak is wallah or hamdouallah and they insert it everywhere, as often as they can. A friend of mine (haha not naming names) and I play a game called count the wallah to see how many times they can possibly get it into one sentence. If your entire sentence is in English, why not just say I swear or I swear to god, instead of wallah?

W

WouldI

I had a hard time understanding her as well and wasn't sure if she really was American or not, but the guy says she is (the taller, older guy with the gut yelling next to her and sometimes translating what she says into Arabic for the benefit of the crowd)

She's saying she thought this was a free country, she came there because they (??) told her it was a free country and she has the right to go to (Friday) prayers at the mosque and not be attacked and she doesn't have to put up with their crap, etc etc.

It was cracking me up though ( I know I'm awful) because it's all English but she throws in some wallah's every now and again and it's a huge pet peeve of mine.. I find American women with Tunisians and the only word of Arabic they speak is wallah or hamdouallah and they insert it everywhere, as often as they can. A friend of mine (haha not naming names) and I play a game called count the wallah to see how many times they can possibly get it into one sentence. If your entire sentence is in English, why not just say I swear or I swear to god, instead of wallah?
hahahaaha so true - wallah :p

alAzima

Staff member
I promise it's not me. First of all I'm big, but not that big. I'm also not that short. And I don't wear hijab. And if I was going to yell at them, you'd be sure to understand my English or I'll just scream in Arabic.... and if I scream, you wouldn't need a camera, you could hear me at your house! And if that guy next to me was my husband (which I think the guy next to her could be) he'd politely pick me up and tote me home to avoid a Facebook embarrassment of epic proportion. Besides that, I thought the issue with the mosque, the tear gas fired on demonstrators, and the brutality at the Kasbah were by the police and she's yelling at the military. On second thought maybe she is American as she doesn't seem smart enough to have figured that out :p

alAzima

Staff member
"If my country ever did this, I'd kill 'em myself" Wow she's very eloquent.

alAzima

Staff member
"I have the right to stand up to you guys if I want to stand up to you guys and you treat me like crap. I have the right to come out of jummah (Friday prayers) when I want to come out of Jummah"

alAzima

Staff member
She also says when she "came up", " they called me names" as she's gesturing toward the soldiers. I might be so inclined to follow suit :p

W

WouldI

Some of her gestures remind me of my mother in law haha! The hand flicking - is that a Tunisian thing that the crazy yank has picked up :D??

alAzima

Staff member
Some of her gestures remind me of my mother in law haha! The hand flicking - is that a Tunisian thing that the crazy yank has picked up :D??
I was thinking the SAME thing! We do NOT do that here and I make fun of my husband who can't talk without wild flailing hand gestures. I call him my windmill and tell him to stop it before he puts someone's eye out.

She's closing her finger tips and flicking her hand at the wrist, very very Tunisian gesture that yankee doodle picked up there, I suppose. I wonder if she moved there before the revolution because she just " didn't feel free to practice Islam without scrutiny" here in the US or to expose her children to true Islam there... I've heard that one before.. If I had a dollar ....

W

WouldI

oooo we'd better hope she's not one of 'us' now eh???? *whistle* hahahahhaa :D

alAzima

Staff member
oooo we'd better hope she's not one of 'us' now eh???? *whistle* hahahahhaa :D
Eh... the " I care " train has ridden out of the station. I believe it occurred somewhere between Paris and Tunis in early May ;)

DragonZest

TLR tester

This made me laugh! I've seen sooo many WAG's of Tunisians who do this on facebook, pick a language to comment with and stick with it!

Top Bottom