Has Tunisia become the new Nigeria????

Soleil

Hello everyone.

I'm sure we all know that the majority of scams and scammers come from Nigeria. Do you think that Tunisia has become just as bad? As an American, I can honestly say, I would never want to go to Nigeria. When I even hear the name "Nigeria" sadly, I automatically think "internet scammers."

Would this turn you off to visiting Tunisia at all???

I still want to go to Tunisia because I love to travel and I want to see the country, the history, the culture, etc.....

I just don't want the "love rat" idea to turn me off to my love of travel.

Any thoughts???
Anyone ever traveled in Tunisia, without any rat troubles???

thank you

simple

Major Ratslayer
Although rats dont claim to be Tunisian Princes ,who need to move their money to an outside bank account !! They scam a different way ,emotionally ..Visiting Tunisia ,i always suggest to do it as a package ,with tour guides and hotel groups..Once you understand that scamming is rife there and you are aware that they are very clever in their approach ,you can protect yourself ..Hotel staff ,waiters ,animators ,shop staff ,,anyone you come in contact with ...Decent Tunisians rarely make contact with tourists outside of their work ..But yes Tunisia is worth seeing ..But i suggest you continue reading here ,untill you get a better understanding of how rats operate ,before you make a choice ,,,

Lass

Major Ratslayer
I have visited Tunisia many times, mostly with friends and family. One time I went on my own and it was ok but that was after several previous visits and after having some knowledge of the culture. I stayed in a nice 5 star hotel and I still had some trouble, even in the hotel, even bother from the hotel staff. I reported everything. One night a group of young men from Algeria got in the lift with me and followed me, they seen which room I went to and they came back about 3 am repeatedly banging on the door. I called the reception and they confirmed they checked the CCTV and it was them. It turned out they were loyal visitors of the hotel so nothing was done except the manager having a chat with them. It was a bit tiring in the hotel itself too as they never give up in chatting you up even if you totally blank them.
Nevertheless I love travel and Tunisia and it is a beautiful country definitely worth visiting. Go with @simple advice and pick a package deal and guided tours only. Do NOT venture outside the hotel on your own.

simple

Major Ratslayer
I remember having to stay in a hotel ,when my house needed a new roof ,,Oh my days ,it was like swatting mosquitoes away ,,They wont leave you alone .If you sit on your own having a coffee ,its like open season for hunters..Good greif its exhausting ,telling them politley at first ,sorry not interested ,to f""k off and leave me alone ,,all in the space of one coffee,,,

Thequeen

Junior Rat Expert
Be on your guard and always be aware of your surroundings
Although now I'm more comfortable going out alone in my earlier days of visiting Tunisia I was spiked with a date rape drug
Nothing was done about it
The cctv miraculously disappeared and I had to sit in a room with the police and the 2 men who did it
I Definatly don't recommend going out alone especially at night

Bubbly

Major Ratslayer
I consider Nigeria to be way more dangerous than Tunisia, generally speaking. They have one of the most powerful mafia in the world, responsible for a great part of international human trafficking nowadays (illegal immigration, drugs, prostitution, kidnapping...)
They also use religion and witchcraft to submit their victims.
They are scattered into small gangs operating everywhere on the globe, it is rarely known. In Nigeria they do sell their own brothers and sisters for a few thousand dollars.

Tunisia is still famous as cheap holiday destination. The risks are less, even if nowadays it seems unstable. I’d rather have to deal with Tunisians if I had to choose between two evils.

Anna2you

Major Ratslayer
I dont think the Tunisian love rats are as advanced as the Nigerians in their online scamming but they are possibly on their way. I have been there 3 times and i dont feel any urge to go there again. I have seen the main points of interest there and there is many other countries also beautiful and worth seeing. I stayed briefly in a hotel in Tunis and the only thing that bothered me there was some guy in the reception who went to buy me a power adapter. I gave him his money back even though he did not want to take it and was not friendly towards him at all so he left me alone. No outsiders were allowed on the hotel property and it seemed pretty safe. The reason i stayed in the hotel then was becasue it was the first time i was meeting my husband and was not sure if i would like him in person so did not want to be stuck in a situation where i had to go with him. I stayed in my room till my husband arrived to pick me up. I can not imagine going back to a country if somebody would give me a rape drug. Also, i would not go back there alone for sure. Each time after that my husband met me at the airport. Even then there were guys on the train who were trying to flirt with me even with my husband next to me. He would get pissed off at me for them flirting even though i was not even looking at any of them. It was tiresome and i dont feel any urge to go back to Tunisia at all. Before i arrived at the hotel the taxi driver ripped me off by charging me 120 dinnars for a ride to the hotel and then when i sat down briefly in front of the hotel some waiter charged me 40 dinnars for a bottle of water. I did not know at that time that i was ripped off lol. But no thank you..there is many other places where one does not have to worry about being scammed. I think it is a much better idea to go for holidays where one can truly relax and let their guard down. Now knowing what i know about Tunisia i would not advise any woman to travel there especially alone.

Last edited:

Etoyoc

Major Ratslayer
I'm sure we all know that the majority of scams and scammers come from Nigeria. Do you think that Tunisia has become just as bad?
No, the two things are not the same. They are, in fact, very different and cannot be compared.

In Nigeria scams (419 scams), the one and only objective is to obtain money with as little personal (face-to-face) interaction as possible. In fact, most Nigeria scams do not involve just a single scammer, but industry-like distribution-of-labour of scam groups. Nigeria scams, therefore, also usually involve catfishing, in that a person is not who and what he claims to be.

Bezness, as practiced in Tunisia, has a different objective in that the goal is to obtain a visa and/or money and/or sex and for this, a face-to-face (and closer) interaction is a vital condition and as such, you will usually deal with just one real person at a time (no catfishing).

Last edited:

smiley

Major Ratslayer
Hello everyone.

I'm sure we all know that the majority of scams and scammers come from Nigeria. Do you think that Tunisia has become just as bad? As an American, I can honestly say, I would never want to go to Nigeria. When I even hear the name "Nigeria" sadly, I automatically think "internet scammers."

Would this turn you off to visiting Tunisia at all???

I still want to go to Tunisia because I love to travel and I want to see the country, the history, the culture, etc.....

I just don't want the "love rat" idea to turn me off to my love of travel.

Any thoughts???
Anyone ever traveled in Tunisia, without any rat troubles???

thank you
I would never return to tunisia,even if i got a free ticket and free hotel to stay.