Have you been scammed by a love rat? TV documentary

Discussion in 'Rat Behavior' started by Milly Yarde, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Milly Yarde

Milly Yarde New Member

Hello, you might remember a few years ago, the UK broadcaster, Channel 5, released a hit series about marriage immigration fraud, called Holiday Love Rats Exposed. The series explored this little-known area and brought these scams, and the terrible impact on sometimes vulnerable men and women, to public attention. The contributors involved thanked us for giving their cases traction. You may have come across an organisation called Immigration Marriage Fraud UK (immigrationmarriagefrauduk.co.uk); we’re working with founder Dee and contributor Kim to make a further documentary.

We’re keen to hear from people who’ve been affected by marriage fraud. Ideally, this would be someone who went on holiday and met someone, perhaps married them, brought them home to the UK or America (or planned to do so), only to find that their partner was sadly only with them for a visa, money etc.. Does this ring any bells for you?

You could be based in the UK or further afield.

We do of course understand that discussing these matters is highly sensitive but I can assure you that any initial conversations will remain confidential and be for research purposes only. If you then feel comfortable taking it further, we can discuss it [​IMG]

Nine Lives Media, the independent television company making this documentary, has won two Baftas, an International Emmy plus RTS awards and prides itself on working with contributors on sensitive issues.

If you think you fit the bill, please feel free to message me for a call back, call me on 0044 (0)161 832 2007 or email me on [email protected]. Our turnaround time is quite tight, and we’ll need to identify potential contributors swiftly, so if you'd like to take part, send me a message or post your experience below.

Many thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Mango Chutney

Mango Chutney Well-Known Member

For any members contemplating doing this, I would strongly recommend you don't, however, it's your life, your business.
    Please do read this thread though, for an understanding of the media and bezness....have your eyes wide open before doing something impulsively, that you may come to regret in the future :love:

https://www.tunisianloverats.com/threads/the-media-and-bezness.4498/

I'm sorry to be a spoil sport, but I'd hate to see any survivor be made a victim again.....a victim of the media :Cry:

Big Bang Theory, Heidi and juicyfruit like this.
  3. Mango Chutney

Mango Chutney Well-Known Member

They edit stuff. They like victims that are older, overweight, disabled etc....anything that will pull in an audience and money. I've seen what they do and it's despicable!

They do not show the true face of bezness, nor that anybody, regardless of age, shape, size, religion, colour or gender is a potential victim. How many young'uns have been destroyed, thought their rat was genuine...because the media lie for headlines and money? The media would have them believe it couldn't happen to them because they are young/slim/pretty etc. It's cruel!

If you ever read the viewer/reader comments, the victim is publicly ridiculed and blamed.

I can appreciate TLR is mostly public, however...it is a support group of mostly people that have been through it, so unless a rat or troll gets on ...the victim/survivor is not ridiculed.

I normally say any publicity is good publicity....but not in this instance, not when it mocks and blames the victim.
    Bezness kills people, it destroys people...it should not be used as fodder for the media to line their pockets.

There are better, less harmful ways of exposing this cruel scam....and actually, I think we're doing a real good job here :)

Big Bang Theory and juicyfruit like this.
  4. Brasilgirl

Brasilgirl Well-Known Member

Now that you put it that way, it does sound bad. I guess documentaries I’ve seen are somewhat different. They don’t blame the victims, at least I haven’t seen that. But I haven’t seen too many.
    Thanks for letting me know. I wasn’t planning on taking part. I just wanted to make sure people knew they should stay anonymous no matter what.

5. Bostons

Bostons Member

I agree... being screwed over by a rat hurts enough without some media whore trying to make you look like a fool!

6. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

@Caramel might be able to shed a light on that ;)

7. Milly Yarde

Milly Yarde New Member

@Mango Chutney @Brasilgirl @Bostons
    Hi all, many thanks for taking the time to comment on this thread. I can completely understand anyone's wariness or distrust with the media - and of course why would you trust someone just because I say you can? All I can do is give you the facts and then you can make up your own mind :)
    - This isn't tabloid magazine 'journalism'. I agree wholeheartedly that those articles victim blame and put the victim in an extremely bad light. This is a 45 minute documentary which has to go through a legal team and Ofcom guidelines to ensure we are doing our job properly. Our focus is the predatory scammers who make victim's lives a misery. To be honest, that's the shocking part.
    - My background and training is in current affairs. I work for a double Bafta, RTS and International Emmy award winning company. You only have to look at our previous output or previous Holiday Love Rat programmes to know that you'd be in safe hands: http://www.ninelivesmedia.co.uk/#/production
    - We strive to show each contributor the programme before it airs. This gives the contributor an opportunity to tell us about any factual inaccuracies and give us feedback.
    - One of our contributors is hoping to to have the first known marriage scam prosecution in the next few weeks. She featured in our previous series of Holiday Love Rats and believes it was the programme which propelled her case. We think that this programme is coming at just the right time to make the best traction possible.

Of course I do understand if you'd be worried or wary - so many of the people I've spoken to so far have been through horrendous and sustained trauma. But even just a chat with me to broaden my horizon with what actually happens would be helpful for me to paint an accurate picture. No one has to talk about anything they are uncomfortable with :)
    If you feel like a chat, I'm on 0161 832 2007 - ask for Amelia. No worries at all if not and thank you for having me here :)

8. Snuggle

Snuggle New Member

I wonder why you did post in so many threads. It’s doesn’t come over to me as genuine.