Have you heard?

alAzima

Administrator & Voice of Reason
Staff member
I read on the facebook page of nomarmiteintunisia.co.uk this morning the following information :

http://www.facebook.com/pages/wwwnomarmiteintunisiacouk/157936739217
Read about this a few days ago, but now beginning to hear it more and more.....
Tunisian men married to English women and living in England need to know the following ;- If they visit Tunisia, on exit they are likely to be stopped from leaving Tunisia and forced to serve a time in the military. This has happened to 3 Tunisian men to my... knowledge - all of whom have wives and children in England......What we need to know is...Are these men who previously should have served in the military (who had been called up) but somehow or other for whatever reason managed to avoid it, or are random men being picked on? This won't help Tunisia much in terms of their people living abroad, wanting to visit the country for a holiday (they will go elsewhere) or invest (they will think again!)

alAzima

Staff member
Has anyone else heard anything about this or know any further information?

I'm slightly curious as to whether or not my husband will encounter problems or issues next month while we are in Tunisia. Our son has a Tunisian passport but does not have a Tunisian birth certificate. The Tunisian consulate in the US refused to issue and said it's something we have to handle while in Tunisia by showing hubby's birth certificate and passport, baby's Tunisian passport, and baby's American birth certificate.

I was under the impression that Tunisian males who are married with children do not have to serve. Further that Tunisian males with permanent residency in another country are ineligible to serve based on issues of loyalties and patriotism, but now that doesn't seem the case?

I'm kicking around the idea of calling the Tunisian consulate in DC and asking them about it.

W

WouldI

Has anyone else heard anything about this or know any further information?

I'm slightly curious as to whether or not my husband will encounter problems or issues next month while we are in Tunisia. Our son has a Tunisian passport but does not have a Tunisian birth certificate. The Tunisian consulate in the US refused to issue and said it's something we have to handle while in Tunisia by showing hubby's birth certificate and passport, baby's Tunisian passport, and baby's American birth certificate.

I was under the impression that Tunisian males who are married with children do not have to serve. Further that Tunisian males with permanent residency in another country are ineligible to serve based on issues of loyalties and patriotism, but now that doesn't seem the case?

I'm kicking around the idea of calling the Tunisian consulate in DC and asking them about it.
There is a member of T.com whose husband has been forced to stay after a visit to Tunisia (I think he has been living in the UK a year) He had had military training and her account was that they couldn't give two hoots about his residency in the UK or his circumstances - that his loyalties, first and foremost, should lie with Tunisia. She said that there were about 18 others held back. I guess there is very little these men can do when on Tunisian soil - there's very little in the way of law or rights to protect them.

There is a member of T.com whose husband has been forced to stay after a visit to Tunisia (I think he has been living in the UK a year) He had had military training and her account was that they couldn't give two hoots about his residency in the UK or his circumstances - that his loyalties, first and foremost, should lie with Tunisia. She said that there were about 18 others held back. I guess there is very little these men can do when on Tunisian soil - there's very little in the way of law or rights to protect them.
Hiya hubby was home in March, he got back okay.
Ive not heard anything, but nothing would surprise me xx

alAzima

Staff member
Karma did your husband have previous military service? My husband never served but was always " in status" as far as checking in with them and showing his Uni paperwork. My hubby seems to think this is only affecting those who did serve basic training and/ or their one year of service and are therefore already trained and ready to go. It seems they are grabbing for election security and bodies for the Libyan border. I just don't want to find out one hour before our departure flight that he's not coming home with us. I will go postal. You'll read about me on the news!

Karma did your husband have previous military service? My husband never served but was always " in status" as far as checking in with them and showing his Uni paperwork. My hubby seems to think this is only affecting those who did serve basic training and/ or their one year of service and are therefore already trained and ready to go. It seems they are grabbing for election security and bodies for the Libyan border. I just don't want to find out one hour before our departure flight that he's not coming home with us. I will go postal. You'll read about me on the news!
Hi hun, yes he did 1year, ive just asked him are they making people do more service in the army and he said bcz of the lack of police its possible. xx

Top Bottom