Health insurance for non Tunisians in Tunisia

Discussion in 'RSN Lounge' started by NetNiet, Aug 16, 2012.

1. NetNiet

NetNiet EVIL member :D

I'm wondering how other members here who are living or did live in Tunisia, arranged their health insurance?

I'm not sure how it works for other Nationalities but for excample in Holland you can take a expat insurance, but that is soooooo expensive, so I was wondering how other persons are doing this or did this.

2. Laurence

Laurence Well-Known Member

I always kept my belgian health insurance (and official adress) in Belgium and went back there for important health care, although I am having a "carte de résidente" in Tunisia. Experiences with f i a Tunisian dentistin my bled made me realize that within a few years I would end up without any teeth of my own if I went on with his "care"...so thank god I could have taken care of my teeth in Belgium.

NetNiet likes this.
  3. NetNiet

That's not possible in Holland, because in Holland is the law that if you stay 8 months outside the country, you're not a resident anymore and you're therefore not able to keep an official resident address in Holland which you need to have a health insurance.

4. Tunisianbelle

Tunisianbelle 'Don't call me Darling!' Mod Staff Member

I am on my husbands insurance. We have insurance directly from his company, plus we have insurance through the CNAM (with the yellow/private card).

With CNAM, they will pay only so much for the family per year. So we use that first.
    When/if that runs out, we use his companies insurance, but it only reimburses for my husband 100%, and to a lesser percentage for the children and I.

If you have a long term illness, you can get a special long duration coverage from CNAM and they will pay everything and it doesn't go against your yearly allowance for normal medical costs.

5. NetNiet

Thanks Tunisianbelle!

The problem with us is that my husband can't get a CNAM insurance.
    The fishermen here are working for years to be able to get their work registrate as company owners or whatever, so they have the right papers to get them for excample registrate at the CNAM.
    And offcourse they get everytime promisses....but untill now this problem is still not solved.

And the CNAM will not accept my husband for insurance and therefore they told us, it's also not possible for me.

6. Tunisianbelle

I am not sure how private insurance works here. I know in the US, you can get private health insurance for yourself, but the monthly premiums are higher. Do you know if anything like that is possible here (getting your own private health insurance)?

NetNiet likes this.
  7. NetNiet

Yes I searched and asked around for that but couldn't find any information about it.
    I understand that the monthly premiums will be higher, but I don't think they will be higher than my expat health insurance;)

8. Tunisianbelle

I will ask for you as well, and if I am able to find out anything will let you know.

crazypink and NetNiet like this.
  9. Mona1

Mona1 Well-Known Member

When I lived in Tunisia I went private for the few times I needed a doctor. I found the service I got was inexpensive and, if not what I would have expected at my own doctor's here in the UK, acceptable. I had one doctor (woman) whose "bedside manner" left a lot to be desired and the other was just lovely (she was a locum). On the whole, I was happy with the treatment but I did not need any large operations.

Galadriel, Bergo and NetNiet like this.