Welcome to TLR

Help with divorce

katie87

hi I'm just wondering if anyone has any info on how I go about divorcing my tunisian husband he lives in Tunisia and I live in England. I have no papers at the moment he has them all but I'm hoping his gonna send me them (we're arguing about that at moment). My thinking is just to get wedding papers off him let him worry about a Divorce as I'm in no rush for it then once I'm ready I believe I can go to Tunisia n get divorce papers (which he would of had to sort) is this correct thinking ?

Last edited:
M

Mango Chutney

He can divorce you in Tunisia, you don't need to go there for this. There is a thread on here somewhere about obtaining papers via the internet, but I'm not sure what the thread is called :confused: Any idea, @Heidi or @Laura2014 ....anyone? I didn't marry mine, thank God, so I'm afraid I'm of little help, sorry :)

L

Laura2014

As I understand it, if the marriage is not registered in the UK then you don't have to do anything. It's up to him to divorce you and he can do this easily there. If he wants to marry again he has to divorce you. Quite often they give the court there a false address in the UK and they send the papers to that address but don't find you and after a few weeks you are then divorced in Tunisia.

Let him do it and pay the money to divorce you. He can't get to the UK without you sponsoring him anyway. If you made an application for a spouse visa you can cancel it with the embassy saying the marriage has broken down. If it's not registered in the UK then I'm pretty sure it does not count. However if you did register the marriage in the U.K. Then you have to go through normal divorce proceedings. A pre nuptial agreement although not technically legal in the U.K. Has to be given consideration by a judge in the UK. Generally in Tunisia you both take what you entered into the marriage with. Hope this helps but there will be other members with more grounded information. Good luck

katie87

When we married we was told you know longer have to register the marriage in the U.K as the person who Marrys you does that for you or something like that and I know people that have got married just before me and not registered there marriage in the U.K. And got there husband visas over here. So if I let him divorce me in Tunisia will the divorce stand over here ?

M

Mango Chutney

Aww, I wish I knew more to help. It's really late now for many of us members, but hopefully, a few more will be able to advise you tomorrow...don't give up hope, there's somebody for everything on this forum :)

L

Laura2014

When we married we was told you know longer have to register the marriage in the U.K as the person who Marrys you does that for you or something like that and I know people that have got married just before me and not registered there marriage in the U.K. And got there husband visas over here. So if I let him divorce me in Tunisia will the divorce stand over here ?
Hopefully others will answer you too. It's very unusual for anyone to get a spouse visa to the UK if the marriage is not registered here. Generally to do so you have to register it here and then it is considered a normal marriage in the UK. I am sure I have read it before here that if the marriage is not registered in the UK it has no legality in the UK. As a spouse it would be your responsibility to register it.

Last edited by a moderator:

katie87

Yes once u get married in Tunisia they now register it for u in London or something so my marriage is registered in the U.K.

L

Laura2014

Yes once u get married in Tunisia they now register it for u in London or something so my marriage is registered in the U.K.
has to edit my post the gremlins were at it again.....

Ok that's new to me. Not heard that before in which case I guess normal marriage law in the UK apply. Hope you had a Pre Nup....

M

Mango Chutney

But I'm pretty sure his not gonna be an arse about it.
I wouldn't be so sure!! Go to the CAB and get advice on your rights. If there is a legal loophole exists, trust me....the Tunisian husbands know it! A Tunisian pre nup isn't worth the paper it's written on in England anyway. These men know every way to access our stuff, so cover your back now, before he becomes aware :) There is an online website about marriage fraud, it was set up by a member on here, it might be of some help to you, even if your marriage wasn't scam, you may find some helpful tips on there for divorce proceedings.
Do you have any children together?

katie87

No children toegether thankgod. And yes il have a look thank you. I'm personally in no rush for it but he obviously is and I dnt wonna go out there to do it which his trying to get me to do

M

Mango Chutney

No children toegether thankgod. And yes il have a look thank you. I'm personally in no rush for it but he obviously is and I dnt wonna go out there to do it which his trying to get me to do
He probably hopes you'll go out there, he can put the mask back on....and fish you in again! If he's in a rush, he can deal with it AND pay for it. If you can't find that other website, don't panic.....I suspect a link will appear in the morning when our 'Link Fairy' awakes ;)

M

Mango Chutney

@Big Bang Theory seems a little clued up on legalities, but doesn't come on very often now and I'm not sure of her nationality :confused: I'm English, but useless here! So I've tagged BBT just in case she logs in :)

L

Laura2014

That bit I am sure of, you don't have To go there, it can be done in your absense.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 146

I got married abroad do I need to register this somewhere in the UK?
You cannot register a marriage conducted overseas in the UK. Marriage ceremonies conducted abroad are carried out under the laws of that country, but in spite of this it is possible for a marriage conducted abroad to be recognised by the UK authorities.

It is also possible to have the official documentation from your marriage abroad sent from that country to the UK to be deposited with the General Register Office. This will allow you to obtain copies of your documentation more easily in future.

Having original documents sent to the General Register Office is not a legal requirement and is not an automatic process. You will need to contact the authorities in the country in which you married to ask them to produce original certification.

https://www.contactlaw.co.uk/686-no...eed-to-register-this-somewhere-in-the-uk.html

M

Mango Chutney

Yay, the link fairy works her magic again! I had faith :p

M

Mango Chutney

HOW? This sounds fishy to me...
I think so too, but I don't have enough knowledge on marriage and divorce to give any decent input, just gut feelings and my gut feeling says: Katie does not need to go to Tunisia for the divorce and there is an ulterior motive behind his telling her she does :confused: Was your marriage automatically registered in America?

L

Laura2014

Likewise I would have concerns about why he wants you to go there? If he wants a divorce ( and you do too) let him pay for it.

katie87

if I leave him to do the divorce how would I go about getting divorce papers after as I know if I dnt pay anything towards the divorce he will not give me any help in how to get the papers

RatBitten

Junior Rat Expert
Unfortunately I got married in America. But all the laws are on my side, and getting a divorce with or without him here is not difficult. It will just take some time, and money of course.
If I had gotten married in Tunisia, my government would not know, and wouldn't care! And I find it impossible that knowing how 'efficient' bureaucracy is in Tunisia that they would be able to register anything in England, let alone a marriage:sneaky:
Just to give you an example, last week I was contemplating getting my marriage legally registered in Tunisia so my 'husband' couldn't get married again. The TN embassy told me after submitting paperwork it would take up to ONE YEAR for the marriage to be registered. One year ladies. I actually laughed and asked why. The poor guy was embarrassed, and admitted everything was done manually by hand so it took a long time.
@katie87 it sounds like your guy just wants to get you to come back to him, and is giving you incorrect info. Good luck, please don't fall for it.
We are lucky in one sense, that we all come from countries where corruption isn't rampant and we have legal resources and help. Lately I've been thinking about these rats scamming local women, or those from surrounding countries, or even from some E European countries. I wonder how they cope??

katie87

His got a new girlfriend now I'm pretty sure so I'm sure his not trying to persuade me back more likely trying to get me to pay for the divorce And when we married in 2015 we was told that I didn't have to inform anyone of the marriage over the uk as it will be done for me same as a friend of mine was told the year before she married n she was told the same.

M

Mango Chutney

And I find it impossible that knowing how 'efficient' bureaucracy is in Tunisia that they would be able to register anything in England, let alone a marriage:sneaky:
Haha, agreed!!! Used to take bloody hours in the police station to register me legally every three months, even after I'd done it enough times to be a familiar face. Everything is soooo painfully slow and frustrating! Katie, I believe that to find out whether or not he has divorced you, you can request a copy of his birth certificate online, just to check your name has been removed. I don't know if you receive any official documentation as such, but I'm not aware of any.

M

Mango Chutney

His got a new girlfriend now I'm pretty sure so I'm sure his not trying to persuade me back more likely trying to get me to pay for the divorce
Divorce is cheap in Tunisia, so I'm sure he and the new girlfriend can club together and pay for it, after all, it is they that are in a hurry for it, not you! Is the new missus a Tunisian girl? If she's foreign, he will probably tell you he doesn't love her, you are his one true love, blah de blah :rolleyes: Can I ask, why did you not get him a visa?
when we married in 2015 we was told that I didn't have to inform anyone of the marriage over the uk as it will be done for me same as a friend of mine was told the year before she married n she was told the same.
Who told you this? As I've said, my knowledge is minimal on these proceedings, but I've read much stuff and never come across this before. Was it explained to you in your language?

katie87

Yes In my language and like I said my friend has her husband on a spouse visa n I've read it somewhere if I get chance tomoz il look for it and put it on here. And we split up 12 weeks ago just as about to do visa luckily we split days before I booked appt

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 146

if I leave him to do the divorce how would I go about getting divorce papers after as I know if I dnt pay anything towards the divorce he will not give me any help in how to get the papers
After the divorce, you hire a tunisian lawyer to get the divorce papers from the court for you. This will be a lot cheaper than going there yourself