Help with divorce

Discussion in 'Tunisian Love & Relationships' started by katie87, Feb 1, 2017.

1. katie87

katie87 New Member

His got a new girlfriend now I'm pretty sure so I'm sure his not trying to persuade me back more likely trying to get me to pay for the divorce And when we married in 2015 we was told that I didn't have to inform anyone of the marriage over the uk as it will be done for me same as a friend of mine was told the year before she married n she was told the same.

2. Mango Chutney

Mango Chutney Well-Known Member

Haha, agreed!!! Used to take bloody hours in the police station to register me legally every three months, even after I'd done it enough times to be a familiar face. Everything is soooo painfully slow and frustrating! Katie, I believe that to find out whether or not he has divorced you, you can request a copy of his birth certificate online, just to check your name has been removed. I don't know if you receive any official documentation as such, but I'm not aware of any.

3. Mango Chutney

Divorce is cheap in Tunisia, so I'm sure he and the new girlfriend can club together and pay for it, after all, it is they that are in a hurry for it, not you! Is the new missus a Tunisian girl? If she's foreign, he will probably tell you he doesn't love her, you are his one true love, blah de blah :rolleyes: Can I ask, why did you not get him a visa?
    Who told you this? As I've said, my knowledge is minimal on these proceedings, but I've read much stuff and never come across this before. Was it explained to you in your language?

4. katie87

katie87 New Member

Yes In my language and like I said my friend has her husband on a spouse visa n I've read it somewhere if I get chance tomoz il look for it and put it on here. And we split up 12 weeks ago just as about to do visa luckily we split days before I booked appt

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    Mango Chutney likes this.
  5. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

After the divorce, you hire a tunisian lawyer to get the divorce papers from the court for you. This will be a lot cheaper than going there yourself

Amira, Laura2014 and Mango Chutney like this.
  6. Mango Chutney

Ah, I see. Strange that he left you just before the visa application :confused: Did you click on the link Heidi popped on? I'll confess, I haven't looked, but I'm going to...just out of curiosity! There might be some help to be gained from there :)

7. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

Which will take up to 6 month after the divorce ;)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    Laura2014 and katie87 like this.
  8. Mango Chutney

Thank God somebody knows this stuff!! I'm truly useless here, but very interested :p

Laura2014 likes this.
  9. katie87

katie87 New Member

I've not looked yet but I will do thanx

10. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Well-Known Member

Actually, not only in the EU, but generally, it works like this:

If you marry in one country by following the law of the country for a lawful marriage (lawful! meaning: according to state law, not religious folklore), this marriage is valid everywhere on the world (well, only in the countries who signed the international private law accord, but that is almost all countries of the world).

If you now move into another country (where you did not marry), you will, when asked to, have to produce the original marriage certificate (and possible a translation) and the country will then decide whether or not it will accept the marriage. If the marriage was lawful, it will usually do that, but it can object when this marriage will stand against the "common law" of the country - for example if a 40 year old is married to a 10 year old, if a shotgun wedding took place, or if one of the couple is not aware that heshe has married at all ... this will go against the common law of almost all countries in the world. So, in some cases you will be told: Sorry, but we do not think that you are married - but in most cases, your marriage will be accepted.

Now, you are not forced to declare that you are married - and you only have to present evidence when the state law requires it, eg. when you want to get an advantage on taxes, or when it is important to be recognized as a resident, and so on.

HOWEVER, be aware that when you live in a valid (lawful) marriage, it will be applied - for example, if you decide to marry again without divorcing first, and the state becomes somewhen aware that you are now married 2 times, then you will be pursued as a bigamist, whether or not you have officially "declared" that you are married.

This was the general rule, some countries may have additional rules on recognizing an abroad marriage - only the place/authority where marriages are registered in this country can tell you exactly whether or not there are additional or different rules.

When it comes to divorce, the private law accord says that you have to divorce in the country where you (both) live - you can also BOTH unanimously decide to divorce in a different country though. When you do now not live anymore in the country where you lived together (seperated and moved) or when you lived all the time in different countries (that is one in the one and the other in another country), then each person can divorce where heshe lives now. There, is however, a rule - the country in which the divorce is started, superseeds countries, where divorce is later also filed. For example, one lives in Tunisia, one in England - then where the divorce is first filed, England or Tunisia, the whole divorce will take place (when you file in another country they will check whether there is already a divorce pending somewhere else). The other person must then comply with the rules of the country, where the one person has filed it first.

In reality, there can be numerous things that go wrong, some countries may have a different view, and some judges anyway ... which is why you should have the help of a specialized lawyer.

As a word of warning ... if one is not yet divorced, but only feels like that, or does not care at all, be aware, that your marriage can still be valid in another country and even be enforced when you visit that other country. So, if you do not care whether you are divorced or not, some bad things could be lurking even after many years when you visit that other country and find out that you are there still legally married and the husband could have some rights to enforce on you (husband support, or even, in some wild countries, the right to sleep with the wife).

11. Laura2014

Laura2014 Well-Known Member

The right to sleep with the wife -
    Yes, often referred to as "Legal Rape".

12. Big Bang Theory

Big Bang Theory Well-Known Member

I don't think it is automatically registered in the UK and I'm not sure how you would register it.
    My friend just has copies of her divorce (officially translated) so she can prove the divorce if she ever needs to.
    You can order some documents online now (but I'm not sure if divorce certificates is included)
    Its a thread started by Lawrence I think and gives the link to the website. I will try to find it and post the link here.

katie87 and Mango Chutney like this.
  13. neat

neat Active Member

14. CUDDLE

CUDDLE Well-Known Member

You have to register the marriage here yourself they do tell you at the Tunisian Embassy what procedure to follow and yes the marriage is lawfully accepted here in the UK..

I have the address somewhere as to where to send the paper //you get a reply back to state the marriage is now officially recognise etc..It is done in anticipation of the spouse moving here ...

You would have to do the divorce under UK law if you reside here and would be more of a safeguard ut will also cost you UK fees ..

15. Beverley

Beverley Well-Known Member

Hi,does anyone know approximately how much the divorce costs in Tunisia?

16. Jisela

Jisela Well-Known Member

It should be around 800 dinar (TND). Most things here for residents are lower price. If anyone quotes you much higher, it's because they know you're not Tunisian (and you don't know the normal prices).

AmberHeart and Big Bang Theory like this.
  17. Beverley

Hi thank you for the quick reply, my soon to be ex husband is in court on Tuesday 18th this month, I’m now receiving a text that it will cost 1700 dinar, and he doesn’t have enough money to pay it,so I need to send it, even I want to be divorced , he applied, so he can pay, I knew it didn’t cost that much,just wanted to double check Xx

18. Snuggle

Snuggle Well-Known Member

Beverly, let him pay for himself. Don’t send him any money. It’s most probably a sub story to get money out of you. Tell him you paid for the wedding and now he can pay for the divorce

19. Beverley

I agree, even up till the end he is trying to get money from, I was longing and waiting for the 18th, now I’m thinking is this going to go on forever.... more mind games...xx

AmberHeart likes this.
  20. Liona

Liona Well-Known Member

I agree with Snuggle. Please-please, don't send him any money. You have spent too much money already. Tell this stupid ass to pay the divorse himself.

AmberHeart and Beverley like this.
  21. Mango Chutney

Ha....busted!!!!
    Lying bastard caught out!!

Beverley, if you are not in a hurry to get remarried, let him do it all and pay for EVERYTHING....after all, being single means more to him than to you (if you are single)....he NEEDS to get married to another victim...so he can damn well organise and pay for it, the big, scamming shite!

22. Brasilgirl

Brasilgirl Well-Known Member

I agree with Mango @Beverley !
    He needs the divorce and making it more difficult for him may just give his next victim a bit more time to see the rat that he is.

23. Beverley

I’m not going to send him anything, I’m in no hurry to marry ever, he knows what he can do, he applied for divorce, cancelled it,applied again, he’s got money from somewhere,but this bank is definitely closed xxx

24. Mystery

Mystery Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's been covered but you no longer regester marriage abroad in the UK.
    Tunisian marriages are legal in the U.K..
    You can divorce him from the UK or get a legal separation. You will still be married in Tunisia.
    Unless you want to marry another Tunisia God forbid. I wouldn't worry about it.
    If he wants a divorce he needs do it.
    Before he can get the divorce they will need to send you the papers for you to agree to it.
    They more likely send it to a wrong address, if you don't answer then after 2 attempt to contact you
    He will get his divorce. Let them rot in thier hell.
    Just laugh at him.