Help with divorce

katie87

Hi just wondering if anyone can help with divorce. Literally been trying for 3 years on and off now to get a divorce and still no nearer, I’m being told I need to go Tunisia myself for it to finish but I really don’t want to go. Hopefully someone here can help in how to go about this . Thanx

MH007

Administrator
Staff member
Hi just wondering if anyone can help with divorce. Literally been trying for 3 years on and off now to get a divorce and still no nearer, I’m being told I need to go Tunisia myself for it to finish but I really don’t want to go. Hopefully someone here can help in how to go about this . Thanx
Hi Katie

Welcome to the forum.

Was your marriage registered in your country?

Did you marry in Tunisia?

MH x

katie87

Yes married In Tunisia. And when I married end of 2015 you no longer had to register marriage in England I’ve checked this is right since and It is correct.

MH007

Administrator
Staff member
Yes married In Tunisia. And when I married end of 2015 you no longer had to register marriage in England I’ve checked this is right since and It is correct.
Then your best bet is let him reap what he's sowed.

Let him divorce you - he will because he will want to marry again. If you are not intending visiting Tunisia then don't worry.

Have the last laugh and block him.

I hope you are okay.

MH x

katie87

Yes that was the original plan but as time has gone on I just would like it finished once and for all he has a lawyer sending me letters to sign which I am then they are saying I’m not signing them so I need to go to Tunisia to finish divorce I just don’t want to go there but I do want a divorce. And yes I’m fine thank you I’m over the whole situation I feel nothing towards him anymore

MH007

Administrator
Staff member
Yes that was the original plan but as time has gone on I just would like it finished once and for all he has a lawyer sending me letters to sign which I am then they are saying I’m not signing them so I need to go to Tunisia to finish divorce I just don’t want to go there but I do want a divorce. And yes I’m fine thank you I’m over the whole situation I feel nothing towards him anymore
You don't have to go to Tunisia so don't go.

If you ignore the solicitors letter 3 times (please do! ) he can divorce you. Then he will divorce you himself when he realises you are not playing his games. It's what they do and how they roll.

Don't spend another penny on him!

Perhaps once this is over you will feel strong enough to tell us your experiences.

MH x

katie87

That’s the thing I’ve been having letters for over a year from his lawyer yet still not divorced ! I’ve had more than 3 letters

katie87

yeah that’s what I was doing but it’s taking ages now I thought would be done by now but it don’t seem to be going anywhere and I really don’t want to go there to finish divorce just wondered if anyone been through this recently coz I’ve definitely had more than 3 letters from his lawyer for divorce dates and every time I don’t turn up they just make another date

achraf

Let him divorce you - he will because he will want to marry again. If you are not intending visiting Tunisia then don't worry.

I hope you are okay.

MH x
yes you right about this , she can stay there and he will run to do all the stuff so you can stay there and don't back to Tunisia, good luck

Liona

Major Ratslayer
That’s the thing I’ve been having letters for over a year from his lawyer yet still not divorced ! I’ve had more than 3 letters
Hi Katie.
Looks like he is doing his best by pressing you to cover all the expenses related with divorce at least. I also suspect his idea about your nesessary presence in Tunisia might tell about some mind games ( all insane of course). Because the distance helps us to stick to our guns. But when we meet the rats in person it could be hard to keep the mind clear. He could feed you a line about his miserable life or whatever. Please don't go to meet him. Let him be responsible for his deeds at least once in his life.

Sandra

Major Ratslayer

I hope you are okay.

MH x
I like your words.

tipme

Major Ratslayer
You don't have to go to Tunisia so don't go.

If you ignore the solicitors letter 3 times (please do! ) he can divorce you. Then he will divorce you himself when he realises you are not playing his games. It's what they do and how they roll.

Don't spend another penny on him!

Perhaps once this is over you will feel strong enough to tell us your experiences.

MH x
That three letters don't count anymore.if you read the threads on divorce.there's one member tells of a good solitor.for UK people and doesn't over charge.like some solicitors that take the pee.if I went over he might not turn up and it goes on.as he might have no rush to marry his tunie bride as he don't have the money but if your not in no rush u will be saving someone else as his name will go through the system x

katie87

That three letters don't count anymore.if you read the threads on divorce.there's one member tells of a good solitor.for UK people and doesn't over charge.like some solicitors that take the pee.if I went over he might not turn up and it goes on.as he might have no rush to marry his tunie bride as he don't have the money but if your not in no rush u will be saving someone else as his name will go through the system x
I can’t find the thread with the lawyer info on if aany one can help will be much appreciated thanks

Etoyoc

Major Ratslayer
3 attempts of reconciliation within a minimum of 90 days have to take place when a minor child is affected by the divorce.

If no child is affected and one of the partners do no show up to a court date, the judge will postpone the examination (hearing) of the case to another date and will then try to find the person to notify himher about the divorce request and the next hearing date. A divorce will take place after a minimum of 2 months after the hearing.

The judge can shorten the above periods when both partners agree in the divorce and the best interest of a child is maintained.

420weblazeit

The judge can shorten the above periods when both partners agree in the divorce and the best interest of a child is maintained.
I got married in March of last year to a Tunisian woman who stayed in France as I returned to Tunisia (I am British). She is there illegally and used me to get out of Tunisia. I have not seen her since July of last year. She is in France, as far as I am aware. We do not have any kids and I saw recent pictures of her with a slim belly so she isn't expecting a child from me or anyone else
  • If I request a divorce (due to her abandoning me), would there be any legal repercussions for her, should she return to Tunisia? I know that adultery carries a jail sentence of up to 5 years.
  • If I were to prove she cheated on me, could she be thrown in jail the moment she lands at Tunis Carthage? What if she merely abandonned me?
  • How would I go about requesting a divorce? Which court or judge should I contact and how? I do not have money for a lawyer.
  • Our marriage contract specifies that in the case of divorce, our assets are separated. If I request a divorce and she is not in the country, can she throw a bomb at me and have a legal representative claim something from me?
  • Where do I go to begin? I am in the state of Tunis
  • Do I need to book an appointment in advance or do I just show up and begin the process?
  • Which documents must I bring with me? (I have a French language extract of her birth certificate, "official French copy", and a translation of our marriage certificate - both papers are crumpled up but you can clearly see who is who and from where - would this be enough or must I request a new set of documents, issued within the last 3 months?)
  • I want to get a residency permit and the "president of the police station" told me and my girlfriend today (we met him on the street by accident) that if I get a 1 year residency permit and immediately afterwards request a divorce, I can still renew my residency permit and get one that is valid for 5 years upon the completion of this residency permit's validity even if I am not married to anyone at all) - is this true?
  • What documents must I bring to the local police station to get a residency permit? Do I need a work permit/company in Tunisia (I work online) or is the marriage certificate, a rental agreement and 3 passport-sized photos enough?
  • How long will the divorce procedure take, from me taking the first step, to me being a finally free-to-marry-again-or-never man? Can the judge, without her presence, reduce the period to 1 month?
  • How much will it cost me in bare essential costs associated with divorcing?
  • Do I absolutely have to get a lawyer? Is there any way that a woman who ran away and who cannot physically make it to a court to contest a divorce can torpedo her ex-husband-to-be's endeavours and cause him issues? What can she do that I may need protection from?
Thanks!

MH007

Administrator
Staff member
I got married in March of last year to a Tunisian woman who stayed in France as I returned to Tunisia (I am British). She is there illegally and used me to get out of Tunisia. I have not seen her since July of last year. She is in France, as far as I am aware. We do not have any kids and I saw recent pictures of her with a slim belly so she isn't expecting a child from me or anyone else
  • If I request a divorce (due to her abandoning me), would there be any legal repercussions for her, should she return to Tunisia? I know that adultery carries a jail sentence of up to 5 years.
  • If I were to prove she cheated on me, could she be thrown in jail the moment she lands at Tunis Carthage? What if she merely abandonned me?
  • How would I go about requesting a divorce? Which court or judge should I contact and how? I do not have money for a lawyer.
  • Our marriage contract specifies that in the case of divorce, our assets are separated. If I request a divorce and she is not in the country, can she throw a bomb at me and have a legal representative claim something from me?
  • Where do I go to begin? I am in the state of Tunis
  • Do I need to book an appointment in advance or do I just show up and begin the process?
  • Which documents must I bring with me? (I have a French language extract of her birth certificate, "official French copy", and a translation of our marriage certificate - both papers are crumpled up but you can clearly see who is who and from where - would this be enough or must I request a new set of documents, issued within the last 3 months?)
  • I want to get a residency permit and the "president of the police station" told me and my girlfriend today (we met him on the street by accident) that if I get a 1 year residency permit and immediately afterwards request a divorce, I can still renew my residency permit and get one that is valid for 5 years upon the completion of this residency permit's validity even if I am not married to anyone at all) - is this true?
  • What documents must I bring to the local police station to get a residency permit? Do I need a work permit/company in Tunisia (I work online) or is the marriage certificate, a rental agreement and 3 passport-sized photos enough?
  • How long will the divorce procedure take, from me taking the first step, to me being a finally free-to-marry-again-or-never man? Can the judge, without her presence, reduce the period to 1 month?
  • How much will it cost me in bare essential costs associated with divorcing?
  • Do I absolutely have to get a lawyer? Is there any way that a woman who ran away and who cannot physically make it to a court to contest a divorce can torpedo her ex-husband-to-be's endeavours and cause him issues? What can she do that I may need protection from?
Thanks!
Hi @420weblazeit

Sorry to ask but were you a member last year - I ask because your post is almost identical but I can't remember his name?

I'm sure it will come back to me.

MH x

420weblazeit

Hi @420weblazeit

Sorry to ask but were you a member last year - I ask because your post is almost identical but I can't remember his name?

I'm sure it will come back to me.

MH x
Was the member that you have in mind male? Because I'm a foreign guy who got rat'd by a Tunisian woman, not a man. I did make some posts, perhaps they were dated last year (you can see my post history) - until now, I've been in Tunisia on tourist visas, mine expired 90 days after the 20-something of September of last year and I guess I now owe overstaying fees too - unless the COVID situation will exempt me from those?

The intimidation from her MoI-employee brother has since amplified and the local cops have been acting funny. It's been a year that I haven't spoken to her but the landlord told me that he got a call from cops asking what it is that I am doing, and apparently he has calmed the brother down.

I really wish I could speak to someone at the British embassy and have them use informal influence to tell this Honey to get back into his kennel. I am going to try and begin divorce procedures tomorrow.

simple

Major Ratslayer
British embassy in Tunis [216] 71 108 700...They can advise on divorce ,but only advise ..

420weblazeit

Good news is, today I began the divorce procedures and I gave, what I think, are all of the documents needed for me to get residency. I hope that the lawyer will be able to make things happen, hehe.

Yes, I asked about buying a property in Tunisia. I found a 25 square meter dwelling which wasn't legally separated from the larger house that it was "separated" from. I quietly took some high quality pictures of the documents that were rushed under my eyes and sent them to my lawyer friends (plural) while I was still with the guy and had them begin looking into it. At 25MD for a property that could ROI in 7 years, it made sense - this is what you could get if you bought some cheap apartments in Spain back in 2016, but for 5x the price here. I decided against biting the bullet as the seller was too shady and rigid.

I pay 950dt a month in rent but it looks like my landlord might want me out, I've been living here since last October without a contract. Cops have taken an interest in me and have apparently called him up to enquire as to what I am doing. This is why I decided to get residency (that, and to make sure that MoI brother can't harrass me). Lawyer said that he will look after the draft statement that I wrote after the robbery and he will tweak it around to make it less of a "he said, she said" (as I have no proof). If I can mortgage a house and pay the same 1000dt a month but actually be able to own it afterwards, that'd be great.

They can advise on divorce ,but only advise ..
My "situation", so to speak, involves a robbery last August and harassment by someone who enters my place of residence using a work car and flashes his carte de service (warrant card) to get past any security. The "guardians" (how aptly named, lol) are stupid and can't grasp concepts explained to them in their own dialect of Arabic. It seems that they exist there merely to collect bribes. I need informal pressure, but I have a trick up my sleeve. I will let you guys know more when something happens, if it does.

B

Blossum

Good news is, today I began the divorce procedures and I gave, what I think, are all of the documents needed for me to get residency. I hope that the lawyer will be able to make things happen, hehe.

Yes, I asked about buying a property in Tunisia. I found a 25 square meter dwelling which wasn't legally separated from the larger house that it was "separated" from. I quietly took some high quality pictures of the documents that were rushed under my eyes and sent them to my lawyer friends (plural) while I was still with the guy and had them begin looking into it. At 25MD for a property that could ROI in 7 years, it made sense - this is what you could get if you bought some cheap apartments in Spain back in 2016, but for 5x the price here. I decided against biting the bullet as the seller was too shady and rigid.

I pay 950dt a month in rent but it looks like my landlord might want me out, I've been living here since last October without a contract. Cops have taken an interest in me and have apparently called him up to enquire as to what I am doing. This is why I decided to get residency (that, and to make sure that MoI brother can't harrass me). Lawyer said that he will look after the draft statement that I wrote after the robbery and he will tweak it around to make it less of a "he said, she said" (as I have no proof). If I can mortgage a house and pay the same 1000dt a month but actually be able to own it afterwards, that'd be great.

My "situation", so to speak, involves a robbery last August and harassment by someone who enters my place of residence using a work car and flashes his carte de service (warrant card) to get past any security. The "guardians" (how aptly named, lol) are stupid and can't grasp concepts explained to them in their own dialect of Arabic. It seems that they exist there merely to collect bribes. I need informal pressure, but I have a trick up my sleeve. I will let you guys know more when something happens, if it does.
Good luck on the divorce and keep us posted. Seems like it will be a long process, but it will be well worth it in the end.