Hi, anyone met a rat on match.com?

bluejay

Hello, I'm new here and can I just say what an eye-opener this site is, AND very helpful for women like me who know very little about Tunisia, but who have become involved in some way with a Tunisian man.
I'd like to ask if you think it's common to find rats on dating sites that require a fee, like match.com?

I joined about 2 months ago (separated last year after 20 year marriage) just to see how things went. About 2 weeks ago a Tunisian guy from Sousse sent me a lovely, well written email via match.com and so I sent a polite reply. I pointed out that I'm 11 years older than him & have a young child, but he replied again, so we've been chatting via the match.com website, and this week via MSN.
He is well educated (has a masters and PhD) doesn't work in tourism & speaks 5 languages (so he tells me). He hasn't asked me for money, and I looked him up on pipl.com (thanks to reading about it here) and have found nothing bad, only a myspace account which is not used. The info on that regarding his education, job etc matches what he has said on match.com.
I like him very much, but the only thing that I think is odd is that he wants me to visit him ASAP to see if we 'click', as he says he is not into playing games, he's not into one night stands,he is looking for a long term relationship and that we could spend 10 years chatting online and still not know whether we suit each other (hmmmm) I asked him why he doesn't want a Tunisian woman...he said that a lot of them only want men with lots of money (?)

So I said 'well, you must be able to meet plenty of British tourists in Sousse?'. He says he doesn't go out in the tourist areas and he works such long hours. Also, he wanted to try match .com as his friend met his wife on it.He does say in his match.com profile that he is very idealistic and spontaneous, so I'm thinking it might just be his personality, but to be honest I think it's unreasonable to expect me to fly out to a strange country on my own, at my own expense so soon, on the off-chance that we 'click'.

So I did a bit of Googling for Tunisia & found some hotel reviews which said that some hotels are full of older european women with their young male 'friends', and then I found this site and read about all the problems...and I'm starting to wonder if he is a fledgling rat or just a nice guy who is a bit too idealistic. We had an email argument last night as a couple of times he has flounced offline when I have been reluctant to commit to visiting. He said there was a storm two nights ago when we were talking on MSN via webcam, and it knocked out all the communications and that is why he went offline & hasn't been able to text to let me know...(hmmm). And he is VERY UPSET AND HURT that I think he might be one of those CHEAP NASTY MEN ( i told him my worries about getting hassled as a single women out there.
I just don't know what to believe. Part of me feels like throwing caution to the wind and just flying out there, as he is attractive and well spoken, has a decent job...and if it doesn't come to anything, at least I'll have had a holiday, which i could really do with after the rubbish 12 months I've just had. But after reading about all the hassle women get there, and how the men prey on single women, logic tells me I would be mad to do that. Any thoughts welcome?

NetNiet

EVIL member :D
Hello BlueJay, welcome here!
And I think you did very well to search at the internet and come here with your story!

I'd like to ask if you think it's common to find rats on dating sites that require a fee, like match.com?
Yes i'm sorry but at the dating sites are most common the Tunisian men who are looking for something else or more than love.....
Maybe 1% isn't....but please don't think you're the lucky one who found that man;)

I pointed out that I'm 11 years older than him & have a young child, but he replied again, so we've been chatting via the match.com website, and this week via MSN.
Age caps in Tunisian marriages and relations are not common....but between Tunisian and European relationships are common.....and they will tell you what you want to hear, that age is not important in a relationship, that love is more important etc. blah blah blah
They will even ly about their age, they are often even younger than they say.

He is well educated (has a masters and PhD) doesn't work in tourism & speaks 5 languages (so he tells me).
I don't really know what masters and PhD are here and if it's possible to get them here by studying, but 5 languages......they will not learn that here at any school, they only learn that in Tourism!

What kind of work does he do?

He hasn't asked me for money, and I looked him up on pipl.com (thanks to reading about it here) and have found nothing bad, only a myspace account which is not used. The info on that regarding his education, job etc matches what he has said on match.com.
There are no standards, so that they ask soon for money or presents, or later, they even might not that kind of things at all, because they want to reach to get married and a visa. So there can be a mix from things or just 1 or 2.

Also they are very well known about have different names at the internet, even different accounts at facebook.
Tunisian men at dating sides will almost never use their real name their, so that can be aswell a reason why you didn't find much.
If you want you can put his name here and what kind of work he does and maybe a link to his FB, than people can see if they know him or find anything to help you.

I like him very much, but the only thing that I think is odd is that he wants me to visit him ASAP to see if we 'click', as he says he is not into playing games, he's not into one night stands,he is looking for a long term relationship and that we could spend 10 years chatting online and still not know whether we suit each other (hmmmm)
LOL yes he wants fast to Europe I guess? LOL
Did you speak with him about what to do after marriage, you living there or he in Europe?

I asked him why he doesn't want a Tunisian woman...he said that a lot of them only want men with lots of money (?)
LOL yes offcourse he says that! But he prefers a woman from Europe who will pay everything, the wedding, the holidays, the visa! LOL
Here in Tunisia he has to build a house before he can get married.

So I said 'well, you must be able to meet plenty of British tourists in Sousse?'. He says he doesn't go out in the tourist areas and he works such long hours.
Everyone goes out now and than.
What kind of work does he do?

Also, he wanted to try match .com as his friend met his wife on it.He does say in his match.com profile that he is very idealistic and spontaneous, so I'm thinking it might just be his personality,
Well....I'm thinking that you can write everything on the internet, but it doesn't have to be the truth;)

but to be honest I think it's unreasonable to expect me to fly out to a strange country on my own, at my own expense so soon, on the off-chance that we 'click'.
I agree with you that it's not reasonable, did he offer to pay for the hotel for excample?

So I did a bit of Googling for Tunisia & found some hotel reviews which said that some hotels are full of older european women with their young male 'friends', and then I found this site and read about all the problems...and I'm starting to wonder if he is a fledgling rat or just a nice guy who is a bit too idealistic.
Again good from you that you did research!
No one can tell offcourse untill you both spend a lot of time in real life together, but meeting at a dating websites...sorry doesn't sounds very good....heard and read a lot of times, but never ended with an happy end!

We had an email argument last night as a couple of times he has flounced offline when I have been reluctant to commit to visiting.
Doesn't sound very realistic is it to get mad at you why you're as any normal thinking person thinks that it will be a lot of money just to see someone you did meet at the internet....seems very normal to me, that you don't do that tight away!
But it's very common to act like this by "rats" because women feel guilty than and will do what he wants....

He said there was a storm two nights ago when we were talking on MSN via webcam, and it knocked out all the communications and that is why he went offline & hasn't been able to text to let me know...(hmmm).
LOL that storm was than very very very local, only where he was ! LOL

And he is VERY UPSET AND HURT that I think he might be one of those CHEAP NASTY MEN ( i told him my worries about getting hassled as a single women out there.
Again that is the way "rats" are acting, because mostly the women are after that pleasing him.
All the Tunisians know about the bezness here, so if they aren't a "rat" themselves, they will tell you that they hate that kind of things aswell and that he understand that you read and heard about it but if he's not like that he will proof to you he's different....the "rats" are getting upset and hurt and angry because they're caught.....and the only way to solve that is acting like that, because if you believe them after that....he will know he's got you half in his pocket.......for his own programm

I just don't know what to believe. Part of me feels like throwing caution to the wind and just flying out there, as he is attractive and well spoken, has a decent job...and if it doesn't come to anything, at least I'll have had a holiday, which i could really do with after the rubbish 12 months I've just had. But after reading about all the hassle women get there, and how the men prey on single women, logic tells me I would be mad to do that. Any thoughts welcome?
The most important thing in life is that you listen you your Alarm Bells, not only in situations like this but with everything!
And you did had Alarm Bells otherwise you wouldn't have searching the internet and come here and tell your story!
So please listen to your inner voice!

And the "rats" have a very well knowledge to know if women did had a hard time and the will take advantage of it.

I'm sorry to say but your story has really a lot of the standard "rat" signs...............

So if you really need a holiday, do it en enjoy it, but spend your well earned money not to meet him and have the risc you fell for his sweet words.
Take first some time to recover and to heal and in time when you're both still are having nice contact, you can allways go and see him!

Take care! Especially of yourself! ;)

DragonZest

TLR tester
Hello, I'm new here and can I just say what an eye-opener this site is, AND very helpful for women like me who know very little about Tunisia, but who have become involved in some way with a Tunisian man.

I joined about 2 months ago (separated last year after 20 year marriage) just to see how things went. About 2 weeks ago a Tunisian guy from Sousse sent me a lovely, well written email via match.com and so I sent a polite reply. I pointed out that I'm 11 years older than him & have a young child, but he replied again, so we've been chatting via the match.com website, and this week via MSN.
He is well educated (has a masters and PhD) doesn't work in tourism & speaks 5 languages (so he tells me). He hasn't asked me for money, and I looked him up on pipl.com (thanks to reading about it here) and have found nothing bad, only a myspace account which is not used. The info on that regarding his education, job etc matches what he has said on match.com.
I like him very much, but the only thing that I think is odd is that he wants me to visit him ASAP to see if we 'click', as he says he is not into playing games, he's not into one night stands,he is looking for a long term relationship and that we could spend 10 years chatting online and still not know whether we suit each other (hmmmm) I asked him why he doesn't want a Tunisian woman...he said that a lot of them only want men with lots of money (?)

So I said 'well, you must be able to meet plenty of British tourists in Sousse?'. He says he doesn't go out in the tourist areas and he works such long hours. Also, he wanted to try match .com as his friend met his wife on it.He does say in his match.com profile that he is very idealistic and spontaneous, so I'm thinking it might just be his personality, but to be honest I think it's unreasonable to expect me to fly out to a strange country on my own, at my own expense so soon, on the off-chance that we 'click'.

So I did a bit of Googling for Tunisia & found some hotel reviews which said that some hotels are full of older european women with their young male 'friends', and then I found this site and read about all the problems...and I'm starting to wonder if he is a fledgling rat or just a nice guy who is a bit too idealistic. We had an email argument last night as a couple of times he has flounced offline when I have been reluctant to commit to visiting. He said there was a storm two nights ago when we were talking on MSN via webcam, and it knocked out all the communications and that is why he went offline & hasn't been able to text to let me know...(hmmm). And he is VERY UPSET AND HURT that I think he might be one of those CHEAP NASTY MEN ( i told him my worries about getting hassled as a single women out there.
Dating sites that require a fee - Yeh, they will go on anything even if they have to pay a bit of money first. As far as they see it, it's an investment for what they will eventually get back at the end (Visa/money)

This guy is working fast whether he is a rat or not....only been speaking for 2 weeks and he's already banging on about you going to visit him?? If I met a guy online in the UK and he was like that then I wouldn't even entertain it. Even if you have spoken everynight for 2 weeks, you don't really know him.....to be honest, you would never really know him until you've spent alot of time with him in real life and away from a holiday atmosphere. Remember, on the internet, we can be who we want to be.

5 languages - Exactly what NetNiet said....yeh, he would maybe know a few from school but other than Arabic and a bit of French, if he's not working in a tourist area then he would not be anywhere near fluent in English, German and whatever other languages.

The storm - we have a European member who lives in Sousse and she's been posting since this "storm" so no problems getting on the internet, also had a text from a friend yesterday who is currently in Sousse so sorry hun but he's lying.

If he wants you to go over soo badly then he should be offering to at least pay your hotel if nothing else....they seem to think money grows on trees in Europe :confused: Has he stated whether he wants you two to stay together in an apartment? Or mentioned about taking you back to meet his parents or anything like that? What is his job??

bluejay

Hi Net Niet, thanks for your reply, I think I knew as soon as he started asking me to visit so soon that something didn't add up, and now I've come here & found out what Tunisia can be like I know my gut instinct was right. I'm not the type to do things that spontaneously anyway, so to me the idea of flying off to a strange country where I don't speak the language on the strength of a few chats on a webcam is ridiculous. Although it does sound romantic, in reality it would be crap!

He works in some sort of call centre-customer service, and also looks after the IT. He's never online till about 1 or 2 am because that's when he finishes work- I asked him why so late, he says it's because customers need calls answered 24/7 and also he can't do the IT work on the computers till people are not using them. By coincidence, that's the same job my ex husband had, so it's plausible.

A masters is a post -graduate degree. A PhD is a doctorate, kind of an even higher degree. I don't mind giving the names I know. I don't use facebook & pipl.com didn't bring up a FB account for him. His user name on match.com is carthaginoi28 and he said his name is Sam and he's 33. He lives in sousse-corniche(?) .On MSN his contact is Sam Bharska, I used that name to search pipl.com and it brought up a NetLog profile, with a pic I am pretty sure is him, even though he has sunglasses on. On there, it says his name is Sam Bahrouni, aged 28 and he is a student.But was dated 2007 so i then looked the name Bahrouni on pipl.com and i got a MySpace web page, with a pic of him and an obviously european woman, and it just said 'Houssem'...with the option to 'friend' him. it also said 'sorry, the profile of 2pacbharska' is only viewable by friends'.

So could that be his real name...Houssem Bahrouni, or Sam Bahrouni?

I'm definitely not interested in him anymore anyway-far too pushy about me visiting him, and no, he has NOT offered to pay for a hotel or anything towards the flight-despite the fact on his match.com profile he describes himself as 'a man that knows how to treat a lady' and is of the 'old fashioned mentality'...well if that's true, he should be paying for ME! The few times I have texted him, I have only had one reply, so that in itself set me thinking. First excuse was he had no credit (I now know THAT is a common one), then it was he'd left his phone at home, and finally the 'storm' two nights ago.

Anyway, I told him last night that I was sorry if he was upset, but I won't be pushed around and pressured into a visit, and I won't stand for him acting like a kid and throwing a tantrum and going offline just because I won't visit him straightaway, when I have good reasons (young child in school, not a lot of money,etc). So he's not interested any more, and I told him neither was I, and if he really WAS interested in me, he'd care what I thought and he's treat me with the same respect as a Tunisian woman. I suggested he either finds a young woman with no ties who will do whatever he says, or he gets himself a blow-up doll-the only woman guaranteed to be there whenever he wants and who will never answer back!

bluejay

Hi, thanks DragonZest, just saw your reply. I was pretty sure the 'storm' was fake, as he hasn't replied to a few texts before (see my last post). Well, I hope someone knows him and I hope my posting here will help someone else avoid this man and others like him. His english IS very very good though-he writes a better email than most of the ones I've recieved from British men on match.com! And he talks on the webcam from home, not an internet cafe. Always alone.

Actually, I still wouldn't mind going on holiday on my own, but not to Tunisia. I love the Greek Islands, been to a fair few in the past and never had any problems with men there, but then I've never been alone. I wonder if I'd be safe doing that? I tend to like the quieter Greek resorts as well, can't stand the loud brassy ones...

Ariel

Under the Sea
Hi bluejay - I'm going to give you a short answer (for which I may be slated :D). Please don't bother.
It is not worth it. Find a man nearer to home who you can see more frequently and do not have to jump through hoops to live with (which will be much harder from now onwards). Aside from whether a guy has ulterior motives, women need to be aware of the financial and emotional repercussions of falling for a man from a country where it may be impossible for you to have a future unless it is in Tunisia. For sure if he is throwing tantrums already I'd also tell you that that will never get better.

Ariel

Under the Sea
Besides that, I'm sure he's been mentioned here before! Lemme have a quick look.....

DragonZest

TLR tester
Hi Net Niet, thanks for your reply, I think I knew as soon as he started asking me to visit so soon that something didn't add up, and now I've come here & found out what Tunisia can be like I know my gut instinct was right. I'm not the type to do things that spontaneously anyway, so to me the idea of flying off to a strange country where I don't speak the language on the strength of a few chats on a webcam is ridiculous. Although it does sound romantic, in reality it would be crap!

He works in some sort of call centre-customer service, and also looks after the IT. He's never online till about 1 or 2 am because that's when he finishes work- I asked him why so late, he says it's because customers need calls answered 24/7 and also he can't do the IT work on the computers till people are not using them. By coincidence, that's the same job my ex husband had, so it's plausible.

A masters is a post -graduate degree. A PhD is a doctorate, kind of an even higher degree. I don't mind giving the names I know. I don't use facebook & pipl.com didn't bring up a FB account for him. His user name on match.com is carthaginoi28 and he said his name is Sam and he's 33. He lives in sousse-corniche(?) .On MSN his contact is Sam Bharska, I used that name to search pipl.com and it brought up a NetLog profile, with a pic I am pretty sure is him, even though he has sunglasses on. On there, it says his name is Sam Bahrouni, aged 28 and he is a student.But was dated 2007 so i then looked the name Bahrouni on pipl.com and i got a MySpace web page, with a pic of him and an obviously european woman, and it just said 'Houssem'...with the option to 'friend' him. it also said 'sorry, the profile of 2pacbharska' is only viewable by friends'.

I'm definitely not interested in him anymore anyway-far too pushy about me visiting him, and no, he has NOT offered to pay for a hotel or anything towards the flight-despite the fact on his match.com profile he describes himself as 'a man that knows how to treat a lady' and is of the 'old fashioned mentality'...well if that's true, he should be paying for ME! The few times I have texted him, I have only had one reply, so that in itself set me thinking. First excuse was he had no credit (I now know THAT is a common one), then it was he'd left his phone at home, and finally the 'storm' two nights ago.

Anyway, I told him last night that I was sorry if he was upset, but I won't be pushed around and pressured into a visit, and I won't stand for him acting like a kid and throwing a tantrum and going offline just because I won't visit him straightaway, when I have good reasons (young child in school, not a lot of money,etc). So he's not interested any more, and I told him neither was I, and if he really WAS interested in me, he'd care what I thought and he's treat me with the same respect as a Tunisian woman. I suggested he either finds a young woman with no ties who will do whatever he says, or he gets himself a blow-up doll-the only woman guaranteed to be there whenever he wants and who will never answer back!
Hahahahahaha!!!! :D

I've just had a wee look on facebook under the names you gave - can't find anything under Sam Bharska or carthaginoi28 but there's a guy who comes up for Sam Bahrouni it says he's living in Sousse but is originally from Sbeitla if that rings any bells. Can't see any pics or his friends list. Also found a Houssem Bahrouni in Sousse but only tunisian friends on his list and no pics of him. And nothing for 2pacbharska.

I think that personally, you are doing the right thing.....his story already in 2 weeks isn't showing much hope for him to be the only non-rat on match.com!!

If he hasn't offered to help you out and is pushing you to go over asap etc....I'm 99.9% sure when you got there and if you guys got on well (which he would make sure you would) then he'd be suggesting an apartment for you both to stay in for the remainder of the holiday (at your expense of course) and that you would be tabbing the bill for food and drinks since "he's had such a hard life".

sparkle

Classy Bird

Hi Bluejay, welcome. You sound like a sensible lady and done all the right things. Congratulate yourself, you found a rat and dealt with him. :)

DragonZest

TLR tester
Hi, thanks DragonZest, just saw your reply. I was pretty sure the 'storm' was fake, as he hasn't replied to a few texts before (see my last post). Well, I hope someone knows him and I hope my posting here will help someone else avoid this man and others like him. His english IS very very good though-he writes a better email than most of the ones I've recieved from British men on match.com! And he talks on the webcam from home, not an internet cafe. Always alone.

Actually, I still wouldn't mind going on holiday on my own, but not to Tunisia. I love the Greek Islands, been to a fair few in the past and never had any problems with men there, but then I've never been alone. I wonder if I'd be safe doing that? I tend to like the quieter Greek resorts as well, can't stand the loud brassy ones...
Don't trust that he was on his own hun....When I spoke to my rat online I was 100% sure he was at home alone but actually his mate was sitting there writing for him (his mic was gubbed) because his written english was crap.

bluejay

Ooh, someone else has been asking about him? Interesting! Oh, I'm steering well clear of any men outside of UK, after the year I've had the last thing I want is the hassle of a long-distance 'relationship'-even if it was a 100% nice guy!. Definitely agree that it's obvious you can't know someone well until u can spend a lot of time with them frequently, I guess I was naiive to start with and a little flattered by the interest, but it rapidly started wearing off once this constant 'visit me, visit me' started. Sbeitla means nothing to me, but then I know very little about him, as he always wants to talk about me, and when I can visit (another warning sign, not letting me ask about him).

sparkle

Classy Bird
Hey I know this is a change of subject but I've lost my chat-box. This is most distressing cos I can't have a nose.;) No funny answers ok!! Especially you marylou :p

DragonZest

TLR tester
TS - seriously!!! I just looked up Assunta and she never even posted about this guy on the forum....she just posted on 2 different peoples profile walls about it! From now on I'm calling you the TLR Stalker ;)

bluejay

Is there any way I can post a photo of him from another website on here for people to see? Obviously I haven't got a real one as i've never met him, but he has a good pic on match.com..it won't let me cut and paste it though.

DragonZest

TLR tester
Is there any way I can post a photo of him from another website on here for people to see? Obviously I haven't got a real one as i've never met him, but he has a good pic on match.com..it won't let me cut and paste it though.
Have you got a link to his match.com profile and I'll see if I can get it to work for ya?

bluejay

oops...no, didn't work. I posted a link, but it only links back to my own match.com profile. Might be another way.

Top Bottom