Hy MEN!!

ArabChick

Spamtastic Member
My pal from college had a craving for elastic bands with her two pregnancies ... :confused:

xx

Tunisianbelle

'Don't call me Darling!' Mod
Staff member
My pal from college had a craving for elastic bands with her two pregnanies ... :confused:

xx
It's called Pica. It's the practice of craving substances with little or no nutritional value. Most pica cravings involve non-food substances such as dirt or chalk.

W

Woodlog

My experience is that a lot of what we call 'old wives' tales' (don't know how that translates in America) exist in Tunisia. Some things I find incredibly frustrating when said to me with so much conviction e.g. when the baby isn't wearing socks that it'll cause her to have wind/gas????? That if a woman craves something in pregnancy and is denied it (or denies herself of it) the baby will be born with a birthmark in the shape of that which she craved???? I could go on forever........ Initially I used to enter into discussion about it, now I just shut up lol It's not worth it :)

Tunisianbelle

Staff member
My experience is that a lot of what we call 'old wives' tales' (don't know how that translates in America) exist in Tunisia. Some things I find incredibly frustrating when said to me with so much conviction e.g. when the baby isn't wearing socks that it'll cause her to have wind/gas????? That if a woman craves something in pregnancy and is denied it (or denies herself of it) the baby will be born with a birthmark in the shape of that which she craved???? I could go on forever........ Initially I used to enter into discussion about it, now I just shut up lol It's not worth it :)
Some of them have some truth to them, but of course not all.

I for one take advantage of the birthmark theory because, well, I'm pregnant and I want to get the food I crave! :p:D

The socks I haven't heard. But if you walk around barefoot here, it does cause you to get a sore throat. I never believe this at first. But sure enough, if I walk barefoot enough, I do get a sore throat. It has to do with the humidity in the floor and the fact that the floor is tile. Also, as the weather changes from hot to cold, I found that I start to get a sore throat, but if I put socks on, it clears up within a day without medication.

W

WildCat

Some of them have some truth to them, but of course not all.

I for one take advantage of the birthmark theory because, well, I'm pregnant and I want to get the food I crave! :p:D

The socks I haven't heard. But if you walk around barefoot here, it does cause you to get a sore throat. I never believe this at first. But sure enough, if I walk barefoot enough, I do get a sore throat. It has to do with the humidity in the floor and the fact that the floor is tile. Also, as the weather changes from hot to cold, I found that I start to get a sore throat, but if I put socks on, it clears up within a day without medication.
I came late in this discussion, but I think better late than never.

So about the virginity checking and the showing of the bedsheets it's really really old in Tunisia, it's no longer common, at all. They don't even ask about it, I mean the families. It only depend on the man and his wife, what they agree about. I mean it's still an issue, especially when the girl says she's virgin and then the husband discovers she lied. Nothing lasts if it starts with lies, obvious.

About the health common knowledge in Tunisia, I would say it's caused by habits and what mothers make their kids get used too. Obviously too much protection makes the kid sensitive to anything. The gas/wind thing is true, from my experience in my family. For the craving, I've seen marks, I swear! I've seen a girl having strawberries in her cheek! It looked like a tattoo! What's the reason no idea..

W

WildCat

About the biology classes, I had detailed courses about the human body in natural science classes in high school in Tunisia. And we had courses about sexual relationships, prevention, pregnancy and I think students know what's required.
But I want to add something, those who choose to study literature they don't have detailed courses, they just have more general knowledge (I was more toward scientific studies).
And I remember in my high school we had a seminar about STDs and HIV prevention ways.

mezoo

The Decider
It's called Pica. It's the practice of craving substances with little or no nutritional value. Most pica cravings involve non-food substances such as dirt or chalk.
Nour's is red clay from Georgia. She once made go and get some. Luckily it's only an hours drive. She had a friend bring back some form N. Carolina and it didn't work. Had to be Georgia red clay !!! :pCorn:

mezoo

The Decider
When you are married or in a releationship there are important things each of us must do....or don't do !
I just wanted to tell you I think the things to don't do are very important.
Don't not tell your partner you love them with words
Don't show your partner you care by your actions
Don't hit the delete button with the hard delete checked (you may want to take something back you did or said)
It's so important to remember each and every day how special your other half is as a person and to you. Taking things for granted is so easy to fall into and murder to get out of. Remember we've been granted the blessing of a wonderful partner.
So here's to my better half and all the other better halfs around the world and in Tunisia. We love ya baby. (I'm on my way to Georgia for your dirt now)

Veritas

The Contessa
Awww! Mezoo, it's lovely to see how much you value and apprecciate your partner, and at the same time how thoughful, romantic and in-tune with N's needs and wants you appear to be. Well done!!

Veritas

The Contessa
Mezoo...you are indeed a man after my own heart! By the way, do you have a twin brother??...since you're taken!:D:D

note to self- show Mr.Vera your post!!Hint, hint:w::w:!!LOL

Beansontoast

I crave coal all the time,even now and I wouldn,t say no to a nice piece of chalk.....and I love CREOSOTE! Yam yam.

tunisblue

i ate paper as a kid, hami loves tp! its an iron thing, or so i've been told.

alAzima

Administrator & Voice of Reason
Staff member
I don't know if anyone already said this, but most pica cravings are caused by iron deficiencies in the diet (or lack of another vital nutrient/vitamin) and it from what I've read they say it is " more common " in other cultures than US/UK and I'm not sure if that's because we eat too much here or what lol

My grandmother ate dirt when she was pregnant with my Mom - she was in Kentucky in a very poor area and her family was rather poor also, so again I think there must have been something in the dirt that she " needed "

My hubby told me that his aunts all ate "coke" (charcoal) during pregnancy and his mother craved the mud that Tunisian women use on their hair during 3 of her 5 pregnancies.

::sick::

I even read in one of my preggo books before that some women want to eat things like laundry soap - I guess if forced to chose, I'll take the dirt lol

Tunisianbelle

Staff member
if a woman craves something in pregnancy and is denied it (or denies herself of it) the baby will be born with a birthmark in the shape of that which she craved????
Okay, I have to now say I agree with this! :p When I was pregnant with Z I craved coffee (and I'm not a big coffee person). I would ask hubby for coffee all the time, yet he rarely brought it to me because it's not good to have while pregnant (stupid me went and opened my big mouth and told him that the first time I was pregnant!).

Anyways, as you know, babies are typically not born with birthmarks, but they appear over the first few weeks-months of life.

Well, at the end of Z's first month, she developed a birthmark on her left wrist in the shape of a coffee cup!

tunisblue

I don't know if anyone already said this, but most pica cravings are caused by iron deficiencies in the diet (or lack of another vital nutrient/vitamin) and it from what I've read they say it is " more common " in other cultures than US/UK and I'm not sure if that's because we eat too much here or what lol

My grandmother ate dirt when she was pregnant with my Mom - she was in Kentucky in a very poor area and her family was rather poor also, so again I think there must have been something in the dirt that she " needed "

My hubby told me that his aunts all ate "coke" (charcoal) during pregnancy and his mother craved the mud that Tunisian women use on their hair during 3 of her 5 pregnancies.

::sick::

I even read in one of my preggo books before that some women want to eat things like laundry soap - I guess if forced to chose, I'll take the dirt lol
what mud?:confused:

alAzima

Administrator & Voice of Reason
Staff member
what mud?:confused:

I'm not sure, he just said there is a type of mud that women in Jendouba put on their hair to make it healthier (maybe something henna based, but again I'm not sure) and that during his mother's pregnancy with his three youngest siblings she wanted to eat it. He said it's possible she craved weirder things with him and his oldest brother but he was too young to remember. I'll ask him tonight when I get home if he can be more specific with a name

Beansontoast

Dead right Mezoo! It smells like marzipan and my little sister had some and I used to bite into it.

AmberHeart

Lady Amberheart of Gafsa
:Hmm:Going back to the original topic. What the heck is the point of this surgery??? To me a virgin is somebody who has not had penetrative sex. A hymen can be stretched by riding (ahem...) bikes or horses regularly, using tampons etc Not all women bleed during/after their first time either, for all manner of reasons, not least because our bodies are all different.

If this surgery is popular among Tunisian women (and women of other cultures who are expected to remain chaste before marriage) - does this mean that the men are looking for blood/pain as confirmation that their partner was a virgin? Does the mother-in-law/woman next door etc. inspect the marital bedsheets :eek:?? And, more importantly, if a woman who has never before had penetrative sex, sleeps with her husband for the first time and doesn't bleed/experience obvious discomfort or pain, does her husband assume she has lied to him????

I find the apparent lack of understanding of sex and sexual issues among young Tunisians quite alarming (though not exactly surprising) - not least the sperm production in the knee issue??? What exactly do they teach in human biology lessons???

Perhaps this was a question more appropriate for 'Ben's corner' lol :D:D:D
Or women whom after some time going without sexual contact bleed again.

Top Bottom