I advice

Audreĺ

Hi. Can someone let me what to do I married my Tunisian husband nov 2017 ...i want to get an annollment or divorce ..is it necessary..i heard that if i have not registered it in canada i dont have to it is up to him ...we have been denied his visa and not doing an appeal he has made me feel he is with someone else in his city and he said some mean words when i asked about it ..please give me advice ..thx u audre

Mango Chutney

Administrator.
Staff member
Hi. Can someone let me what to do I married my Tunisian husband nov 2017 ...i want to get an annollment or divorce ..is it necessary..i heard that if i have not registered it in canada i dont have to it is up to him ...we have been denied his visa and not doing an appeal he has made me feel he is with someone else in his city and he said some mean words when i asked about it ..please give me advice ..thx u audre
Hey Audrel, welcome to the forum :)
I am really sorry you are going through this stressful experience....it’s tough going.
To get a marriage annulled, I believe that has to mean that the marriage was not consummated.
I have little understanding of divorce, and zero understanding of Canadian law, but hopefully, our other members will be able to advise you on your next steps :)

Bostons

Hi Audrel'!

You have come to the right place. Please read here more... there are several threads and women that have been in your exact situation.

Judithlyn

Hi @Audreĺ Welcome to TLR. I’m sorry that you are going through this. What is your husband’s name? Where does he live in Tunisia? None of us are lawyers, so you really do need to contact a Canadian Embassy and/or a Canadian lawyer regarding a divorce or an annulment.

If you are only legally married in Tunisia, I would stay married to the creep. It won’t hurt you, but it WILL hurt him. He can not marry another foreign lady, nor can he marry his Tunisian cousin. Did you legally marry him over there? Your name is on his birth certificate, correct? If he wants a divorce, make him pay for it ALL.

How did you find out that he is a rat? I’m sorry for your pain. It’s shocking to discover how low a human can treat another human. Stay on here.....vent and post! You are talking to pros at this Bezness garbage.....sadly! None of us wanted to be a member on here, but thank God for this web sight. We will try our best to help you recover! Big hugs!!!

MH007

Administrator
Staff member
Hi and welcome @Audreĺ

As far as I'm aware as long as you haven't registered your marriage in your country then you should be okay.

As advised leave the pain and expense to him to divorce you. I think it would only cause problems for you in Tunisia.

Read as many threads in here and utilise the ladies and gents.

Remember you're not alone.

MH x

Big Bang Theory

Administrator
Staff member
...we have been denied his visa
If you applied for a spouse visa than the marriage must have been registered in your country.

I don't know about Canadian law but as a general rule you should divorce in the country you last lived in together.

You don't necessarily need to go to Tunisia, you can employ a Tunisian lawyer to act on your behalf.

However, unless you want to marry again I would leave it.... He is more likely to want the divorce so that he can marry someone else for a visa. So let him deal with it and have the expense :)

Heidi C

If a Canadian wants to marry a Tunisian, then you must go to the Consulate and pay a fee to request permission to marry. Once you have that taken care of this will mean the Canadian Government will recognize you are marrying a Tunisian National.
Then once married, you take a copy of your marriage paper for their record, ( translated of course into either English and or French.

If you are divorcing, then you will need to go to the Consulate again with the translated Divorce paper, and you pay another fee again, and this will notify the Canadian Government you are Legally divorced from the Tunisian National.

I know first hand due to a disaster marriage to my first husband Ahmed.

If you did not file your permission to marry with the Consulate, then the Canadian government will not recognize your marriage.
The thing I found most annoying when having to deal with the Consulate in Lac Du Barge in Tunis, they staff there are Tunisian, and their English is limited, so communication was not as easy as we ENGLISH speaking Canadians require when dealing with issues such as this.

Good luck in your issue, I think your better off spending your money on a ticket for him to head home, or if your in Tunisia, a ticket for you to get home. Their court system is a joke there, and if you had to go to the court house, you need a lawyer who can translate between Arabic and English, and that's very hard to find. He can also go after you for support in his country, so just be aware.

Best of luck!

Heidi C

My post was based on living in Tunsia at the time of requesting permission to marry, and divorce paper being taken to the consulate was also while Living in Tunisia. I know of a woman who married in Tunisia and she was from Britain, her rat didn't want to work when he got his visa to live in Britain so tucked his rat tail and came back to his little rat village to mingle amongst the rest of his rat kind, meanwhile leaving her high and dry. So she hired a Tunisian joke of a lawyer who did absolutely squat for her, and the process was a bloody joke, costing her more money and stress, but eventually she was able to get that divorce.

If I was you, and your living in Canada and your rat is as well. Find a divorce Lawyer, and go for a free consultation and explain your situation, at least you will have the information 100 percent exactly as you require. Good luck!

Audreĺ

My post was based on living in Tunsia at the time of requesting permission to marry, and divorce paper being taken to the consulate was also while Living in Tunisia. I know of a woman who married in Tunisia and she was from Britain, her rat didn't want to work when he got his visa to live in Britain so tucked his rat tail and came back to his little rat village to mingle amongst the rest of his rat kind, meanwhile leaving her high and dry. So she hired a Tunisian joke of a lawyer who did absolutely squat for her, and the process was a bloody joke, costing her more money and stress, but eventually she was able to get that divorce.

If I was you, and your living in Canada and your rat is as well. Find a divorce Lawyer, and go for a free consultation and explain your situation, at least you will have the information 100 percent exactly as you require. Good luck!
Hi hun ..no i am living in Canada and he is in Regueb Tunisia living where he is from so i dont have to do much but will contact a lawyer here and contact embassy here to see what they say ...thx

Big Bang Theory

Administrator
Staff member
Hi hun ..no i am living in Canada and he is in Regueb Tunisia living where he is from so i dont have to do much but will contact a lawyer here and contact embassy here to see what they say ...thx
Hi Audrel, It is much cheaper to contact a lawyer in Tunisia to do the divorce for you. If you use a lawyer in Canada they will do just that, they will contact a Tunisian lawyer to act for them plus they will add on their own huge fees.

A simple divorce in Tunisia (no children or property) costs in the region of 1000 dinar (about 450 Canadian dollars)

But first read this (lengthy) thread

and this is a list of other threads about Tunisian Lawyers

Heidi C

The friend of mine from Britain who went through her divorce with the Tunisian from my ex husbands village, had to hire a lawyer to assist with her divorce. I know I had to keep going to the courthouse to get them on the roll with mine from my first Rat. It was a real nightmare to get them to do their job. I wish you luck in this Audrel.

Top Bottom