IF ITS YOUR FIRST TIME HERE - READ THIS

Discussion in 'Rat Behavior' started by Laura2014, Sep 15, 2016.

1. BoliceFan

BoliceFan New Member

A brochure at the airport or ads on TV? I was recently stranded overnight at Monastir louage station but perfectly safe. U couldn't get to where there was WIFI to meet friends near Monastir but at 02:00 am onwards it was very disturbing, who and what I saw, comings and goings but I won't expand on that and I took down no number plates. It is a crossroads/ roundabout zone, with people leaving and arriving or on a journey. The louage coordinator/ticket producer man and mates see nothing as they have their back to it all and curtains closed. Was there for 7 or so hours & was really grateful for the prodessionaliam of the people who run the Monastir station louage as some people call it.. Sorry delete this please if not relevant. Warnings need to be given to all genders but I feel just as safe here as I do in my own city or safer in general.

Going for the limit likes this.
  2. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

3. Laura2014

Laura2014 Well-Known Member

Long way to travel from Australia to Tunisia? Part of a world trip or to meet a Man? Just curious as it sounded like you were at the airport alone?

Croydon girl, AmberHeart and Jisela like this.
  4. Jisela

Jisela Well-Known Member

Maybe because you’re a man? Also, saying you didn’t write down license plates demonstrates your naivety about Tunisia :D

AmberHeart likes this.
  5. Laura2014

Bolicefan’s profile says female from Australia.

Jisela likes this.
  6. Jisela

Jisela Well-Known Member

That’s actually a terrifying story then. It is not safe to be out late at night as a woman anywhere in Tunisia...

You can “feel safe” and assume the best all you want, but Tunisia has an extremely high reported percentage of sexual assaults... not even talking about other crime.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  7. Jisela

Jisela Well-Known Member

Even in small states, women don’t leave their homes at night alone, especially as a tourist. She’s very lucky she didn’t run into problems...

8. Jisela

Jisela Well-Known Member

Tunisian women don’t travel alone at night (unless they’re looking for problems), and it’s not recommended by Tunisian women. It’s not like there’s women’s lib full force in Tunisia, so I don’t know what to tell this person...

9. Laura2014

I assumed it was the Airport, but louage is the railway station. :eek:

AmberHeart and Jisela like this.
  10. Jisela

Jisela Well-Known Member

It’s kinda funny, the Tunisian rats here will tell you what’s up (talk about wolf packs, etc.), Tunisian women even say they’re afraid, but somehow people insist on presenting this buttoned-up image of Tunisia. I don’t get it.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  11. Snuggle

Snuggle Well-Known Member

Louage is the taxi station. This were you can take the long distance taxi. It’s a terrible way of traveling you sit with 5 people on the backseat when it’s for 4, no seatbelts. We took one one from Tabarka to Tunis around new year it was very busy so they smelled money and kept people piling in.
    The taxi arrived and loads of people ran at it climbed in it was disgusting.
    You don’t even want to be there at daylight.

12. Mango Chutney

Mango Chutney Well-Known Member

A Louage is those smelly little mini bus things that me and Judith have described....with no aircon.
    They are a horrible and cheap way of travelling, so you can imagine the kinda folk that generally use them....and they are not the sort I'd want to spend the night with :thumbsup:
    Well yes.....they are written in Arabic :D
    Ja, t'was an incredibly foolish thing to do :eek:
    A Tunisian woman alone out at night is dangerous, but a Western woman....no way! That was sheer stupidity, and as you said, it highlights how little she understands the country.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mystery, Amira, Brasilgirl and 5 others like this.
  13. Laura2014

I hope @BoliceFan comes back. Her profile said she has escaped a rat. I’d be interested in her story.