Impacts of romance and sex tourism on the larger tourism sector in Tunisia

Discussion in 'Rat Behavior' started by Heidi, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...pot.wur.nl/313044+&cd=182&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=de

Impacts of romance and sex tourism on

the larger tourism sector in Tunisia

Perceptions and interpretations of tourism stakeholders

Student: Noura Harrath

Stud. Nr 900904 307 030
    Wageningen University

Department of Environmental Sciences

Cultural Geography Chair Group

GEO-80436 MSc Thesis Cultural Geography

Supervisor: Lauren Wagner
    Submitted in August 2014

Examiners: Lauren Wagner and Karin Peters

SUMMARY

"In Tunisia, there is not much space for cross-cultural understanding. Combined with the gap
    of values that are between the local people and the tourists coming from very different so-
    cial backgrounds, the contact between hosts and guests is sometimes conflictive, and in
    many cases not even existing. Within the scope of host-guest relations, this study zooms in
    the sexual and romantic encounters that take place between locals and tourists and sheds
    light on the impacts of these encounters on the Tunisian tourism industry at large. Findings
    have shown different impacts of sex and romance tourism on Tunisia's reputation and the
    tourist experience. However, looking further than sex and romance tourism, there are other
    impacts on the general tourism industry that cannot be ignored. This study has found the
    connections between different kind of impacts, whereas conflictive host-guest relations are
    taking a large space. At the same time, sex and romance tourism has been argued by tour-
    ism stakeholders to take a place within the bigger scope of host-guest relations as these
    stakeholders do not perceive sex and romance tourism as an isolated field of practices but
    rather as part of a range of host-guest tensions and relations that are not desired to be pre-
    sent and provide alternatives."

Be warned, there is a lot to read :coffee:

Amira, Mango Chutney and Laura2014 like this.
  2. Laura2014

Laura2014 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I’ll read the whole doc later. I was curious about the hosts, guests and sheds! Then realised it was the way the paragrah was split. I couldn’t remember any sheds fhere. :)

Heidi and beznessbitch like this.
  3. juicyfruit

juicyfruit Well-Known Member

4. Mango Chutney

Mango Chutney Well-Known Member

Up to page 9 of 57....will read the rest after sleep.
    What an interesting read!

juicyfruit and Heidi like this.
  5. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

Page 36:
    This broad definition of sex and romance tourism goes contrary to idea sketched in many media sources, where with regards to Tunisia,
    mostly relations are being described under which tourists have suffered financially or emotionally and other types of relations are not given attention (France2, 2010; Vakantie- info.org.,2013; Stevens, N., & Tardio, N., 2011, Beznessalert.com, Bezness-land.com,
    Tunisianloverats.com

She might have payed attention to the fact, that our forum "Tunisian Love Rats" is about tunisian love rats ;)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Lovelylondon likes this.
  6. Laura2014

Laura2014 Well-Known Member

Yeah!!!! Or as @Mango Chutney would say Woop Woop!!!!

7. Mango Chutney

Up to page seventeen! Still enjoying the read.
    I love the reference to European women being 'Liberated'....I suspect this is a polite way of saying loose/cheap :rolleyes:
    Glad to see acceptance of the fact the reputation of this country, as being full of scammers and male prostitutes, will have a negative effect on tourism!

juicyfruit, Amira and Heidi like this.
  8. Mango Chutney

Emin the hotel manager! Omg, what a judgemental tosser :Evil:
    Tourists that choose a beach holiday are solely there for sun and sex? WTF? Most of us go to get a freakin tan, relax and have a swim...he thinks all tourists choosing the beach are whores looking for sex! Bastard!
    Going for a smoke before reading more....angry Mango is rearing her ugly head!
    Tis the excuses and attitudes of idiots like him that will ensure Bezness is never beaten.....and Tunisia WILL have the same reputation as the dangerous Gambia the author is comparing it to, it will become a country to be avoided because of its male prostitute culture :Evil:

9. Liona

Liona Well-Known Member

Isn't it called "judge by yourself" ? He just voices his own primitive addictions.

What an interesting reading.

juicyfruit and Mango Chutney like this.
  10. Mango Chutney

I'm loving the read, but his attitude sucks!
    To be honest, his words pretty much describe how they almost all feel about us foreigners, you only have to read comments by many Tunisian members here on TLR to know we are judged as cheap, desperate women looking for sex with young boys....it makes me angry!
    If I ever became a sex tourist (never gonna happen), Tunisia is the last country I'd choose....they all sound like selfish, underperforming prostitutes....I'd ensure I went somewhere with value for money!
    You have to laugh at the fact that they genuinely believe we can't get plenty of sex in our own countries :D

I do wish these thick idiots would learn to differentiate between a sex tourist and an honest holiday maker.
    I wasn't looking for a man, I was respectful of their culture, just like most of us are....yet we are all construed as whores :Evil:

The biggest irony of the way they speak of us, is that they try (badly) to dress like us, they wear contact lenses to have eyes like ours, many women lighten their skin and bleach their hair blonde to look like us, many men and women are sexually active outside of marriage like us, they want their country to be as prosperous as ours....yet they judge us people that they mimic as less than them....the hypocrisy takes my breath away!

Masha, juicyfruit and Liona like this.
  11. Liona

Liona Well-Known Member

Yes. My rat said: "tourist bitches".. But in fact it's him is bitch.
    But... what a pity, they still look like a cheap whores.

magic and Mango Chutney like this.
  12. Amira

Amira Well-Known Member

When choosing a profession within travel life, one must accept other cultures and live sets. They know very well that we Europeans like to have a drink. Relax . Should you accept each other then you have to meet halfway

Mango Chutney likes this.
  13. juicyfruit

juicyfruit Well-Known Member

14. noura.harrath

noura.harrath New Member

Wow hello everyone, I had no clue that my master thesis ended up here. Its great to know that some of you liked to read my study. As being partly dutch and party tunisian it was an interesting quest for findingd out the discourse from both tourists as well as locals working in tourism. Feel welcome to contact me on this email adress concerning this topic or related topics [email protected]. Currently im working a tour guide internationally, it is always interesting to see cross cultural relation happening

15. noura.harrath

noura.harrath New Member

I agree Amira, however what i have understood is there is a huge gap in professionality in tourism..an entertainer or manager perceive different long and short term interests and expectations by tourists. Its good to know that the topic of romance and sex relations is always full of tension where trust is needed to be built. Also noteworthy is that among tunisians, among locals sometimes the same tendencies or tensions or geven frustraties happen... Think of french- tunisian or locals that have different ideas on intimacy

juicyfruit likes this.
  16. noura.harrath

noura.harrath New Member

Obviously this website has been part of giving shape to this research. Mostly it was by firsthand observations that i have gained interest in the topic. Just like you :)

juicyfruit, Heidi and Mango Chutney like this.
  17. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

Aw, you are a memeber here since 2013 :)

juicyfruit likes this.
  18. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

You are so right! The rats have no shame, they don't care who they scam :coffee:

juicyfruit and Mango Chutney like this.
  19. Mango Chutney

Yup. There is a Tunisian lady on here somewhere that was scammed by a rat....just can't remember her name :confused: Perhaps Dark night or town or something :confused:

juicyfruit and Heidi like this.
  20. Amira

Amira Well-Known Member

It's hard to know what to do because other people are good at judging. I mean that everyone has a choice and if you are in a relationship that goes beyond the kids because their father does not show enough responsibility, I support divorce 100% also if there is violence exploitation in a relationship, it is better to use reason than the heart. Do not get into a relationship that breaks you down. It seems to me that Tunisia takes precedence by judging women who choose to go them own ways

21. Masha

Masha Well-Known Member

I would say the sex trade in Tunisia specific as it is , has become as institutionalised in people’s minds as any ordinary economic activity . As we have all noticed even the family members gladly join in.

juicyfruit and Liona like this.
  22. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

Or one could conclude that Tunisia at the whole got more criminal helga.gif

Masha and juicyfruit like this.
  23. Masha

Masha Well-Known Member

Of course. For us it means criminal activity on the rise however for them...the ends justify the means ...:( they continue what their grandfathers started but on a larger scale with less charm and higher targets

beznessbitch likes this.
  24. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

Masha, juicyfruit, Liona and 2 others like this.
  25. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

[​IMG]
    Hoteliers Tunisiens - الوتلاجيّة التوانسة
    February 4 ·
    التحرش داخل النزل من اكثر الاشياء الي تقع في النزل و هي تصدر من من النزلاء في بعضهم و الموظفين بالنزلاء و احيانا النزلاء بالموظفين ! طبعا هي ظاهرة سلبية جدا و صعب انو نلقاولها حل خاصة كتبدا بين الحرفاء ..اش قوّلكم ؟

Harassment inside the inn is one of the most important things in the motel, and it comes from inmates in each other, staff members, and sometimes inmates. Of course it is a very negative phenomenon, and it is hard to get it a special solution, the books of da between clients..

Unbenannt.PNG65k.PNG

Bxxxx Cxxxx
    يعني البوسطة والبنك و المستشفى مافيهم تحرش البلاد كلها متحرشة فينا .
    المهم هذي مواضيع لا تهمنا قدر تحسين هذا القطاع الذي تعيش منه نسبة كبيرة من التوانسة وإعطاء حقوق العمال وتشغيل اهل الخبرة .
    وتحسين المدارس التي تدرس في هذا المجال باش تخرح ناس تفهم انها تخدم موش تتحرش .
    I mean the was, the bank and the hospital don't have the harassment of the whole country as a
    What is important is that we are not interested in improving this sector from which a large proportion of the population is living, giving worker s' rights and engaging in
    The improvement of schools taught in this area has been shown by people who understand that they are serving indicator.
    Automatically Translated · 12w

Ixxx Bxx Kxxxx
    هذي ظاهرة الله غالب عنا منها برشا ولات في تونس و خاصة في النزل و الاسواق و النزلاء و السياح يتشكاو منها ، لازم نبدلو هالعقلية ، انا نعنل في المجال كنت في تونس و من عشرة سنين وليت البرة في الخارج منراوش هذا بتاتا ، الله يهديهم خاطر بالحق كيف نحكيو مع ال...See More
    This is the phenomenon of God, most of us are agility and not in Tunisia, especially in the inn and the markets and the guests and the tourists complaining about it, we have to take care of it, we work in the field, I was in Tunisia and ten years A, may God guide them to the right, how are you going with the people on tourism in Tunisia about us and no theory is disappointed and they are happy with services and transactions, and sure this is some kind of harassment, from dog to what is neglected sometimes, but Coping with the situation and the relented of services to me within our profession and respect, and especially our system is the country's destination.
    Automatically Translated

Sxxxx Hxxxx
    الحل كل واحد يتلها بروحو.
    The solution every one is little.
    Automatically Translated
    ·
    Yxxxx Axxx
    Or the owners of the motel.
    See Original (Arabic)

Txxxx Hxxxx
    There's no problem.
    See Original (Arabic)

Mxxxx Oxxxx
    What do you care, you don't complain and you like to get a solution to what doesn't exist
    See Original (Arabic)

https://www.facebook.com/hotelierst...ome1f_gVbU5qCLZaw1Gi77hruYK-fg54sjyHI&fref=nf