Interesting Documentary on the Tunisian Woman

Ben

Administrator
Interesting ... but it's superficial documentary ...

alAzima

Administrator & Voice of Reason
Staff member
Why do you say that? I didn't feel that way at all. Oh and PS forgot to add that it has English subtitles. I think it's an accurate portrayal of the diversity of Tunisian women and the feeling that some ( many) have of being torn between two cultures/traditions.

alAzima

Staff member
They put the English subtitles just for you Ben :D

alAzima

Staff member
I looked to see if I could find it translated to Texican but no such luck :(

Beansontoast

I have never met a Tunisian that can speak such good French.Not that I am bothered,I find the language diabolical.

W

WouldI

I can understand the French - I had an A for my A level French comprehension, I just find it hard to get my tongue around it :ben:

alAzima

Staff member
My husband speaks perfect French. To the point where a native French guy we know here said he speaks it with no foreign accent. Now why can't he speak English without his accent? LOL

Ben

Administrator
My husband speaks perfect French. To the point where a native French guy we know here said he speaks it with no foreign accent. Now why can't he speak English without his accent? LOL
That's the reason why :ben: you cannot speak both English and French without accent :ben: it's either this or that :ben:

Laurence

Only the minority of the (young) tunesian women are living a kind of modern life...most of them in other than touristic regions do live the way their mothers and granmothers lived...
I once read a report saying that more than 30% of the tunesian women are suffering of domestic violence, I know for sure that is the case where I live in the South. No woman, young or old, goes out of the house to other than family houses, women don't attend the market, they are all veiled and covered up (even in hot summer time), when married most of them have to stop working outside...their lives are boring and very very reduced!

Liana

Only the minority of the (young) tunesian women are living a kind of modern life...most of them in other than touristic regions do live the way their mothers and granmothers lived...
I once read a report saying that more than 30% of the tunesian women are suffering of domestic violence, I know for sure that is the case where I live in the South. No woman, young or old, goes out of the house to other than family houses, women don't attend the market, they are all veiled and covered up (even in hot summer time), when married most of them have to stop working outside...their lives are boring and very very reduced!

I fully agree with you. This is also what I have learnt around the Hammamet area. I know such who are veiled from top to bottom and strict but also those who come from impoverished regions working in tourism and simply enjoying freedom secretly away from the inquisitive eyes of people from their own villages. I don't have an opinion though who is more or less correct. Traditions or progress - each has advantages and faults. The only ones who look very free or funnily free are girls and women from Tunis or Sfax. They surprise me with their wild disco dance at midday on the beach while drinking beer behind extra large sunglasses, or wearing such flashy and revealing clothes or bikinis that I myself coming from Europe would be probably frowned upon if I chose to look like that. Well , those who are called free also remind me of those Westerners who being low class and so called newly rich , wear huge gold chains and all- designer- brands to show off their wealth, similarly these girls show off freedom.

Liana

Thanks for that film. Please provide us with more if you know any. I think it shows a true picture.(f)

Ben

Administrator
Out of curiosity .... How do you guys (and I mean girls :ben:) see Tunisian women ? certainly you have sister in-laws, step kids (perhaps teen tunisian step-child ...girls?), and of course mother in-laws (Although I surely think mother in-laws are the same everywhere :ben: ), or even friends

shoot ... Beans you go first :ben:

Liana

I 'll go first cos Beans is on toast. I have met many Tunis and Sfax families in hotels and beaches and spent some time talking. My male friends introduced their oh- so- different sisters to me and I have had them for company though I was not exactly delighted. Met many maids at hotels and some were from my bf village. Finally family of my bf rather Saudi Arabia style though.

Liana

Hm..well said. So I felt when they were :blink: their eyes at me.

W

WildCat

Out of curiosity .... How do you guys (and I mean girls :ben:) see Tunisian women ? certainly you have sister in-laws, step kids (perhaps teen tunisian step-child ...girls?), and of course mother in-laws (Although I surely think mother in-laws are the same everywhere :ben: ), or even friends

:bat:

:ben:

Liana

Ok so I will tell ya. In general girls are girls and they are females , they have their stuff..u know, don't ya? Yet..hm and here I must watch my words the Tunisian ones are difficult to categorize. Generally , I have this strange feeling ( there might be something wrong with me though) that they are very difficult to talk to. Firstly, their brothers treat them as virgin flowers so u can't tell a joke that would have some sex involved, secondly others seem giggly and narrow-minded, then u have those who look at me as if i were quite insane being with a rather uneducated Tunisian AND WITHOUT AN OFF-ROAD which is absolutely necessary for Hammamet.

Liana

...and I forgot those who smile and hug and cajole u to make u REMEMBER them;). SOmehow or other I have never met a soul mate except a 14 year old niece of my bf who loves me and who I love as well

paula01

I really liked my SIL we got on really well:ben: MIL was ok too really but never really got that close to her, she was always welcoming and pleased to see me though and complained when I didnt go there a lot. I think SOME of the women who were quite wealthy were up their own arses and looked down on others:huh: I think there are good and bad everywhere though TBH. I dont think my BIL treated his wife good as he was always out! I used to stick up for her and tell him I was going to take her to the disco with us :O his eyes came out on stalks :ben: I used to go to the beach with the female members of the family and could never wear my swimsuit as I was too embarrassed in front of them (even though they told me to go and swim ):blush: I was on the beach one day in Chott Meriam, laying there minding my own business reading my book and relaxing B) when this old lady saw me, she had made a makeshift roof to sit under! she called me over as I was basting myself and turning over, she pointed to my skin and head :ben: she made me sit under this roof with her :O we couldnt speak together and just kept grinning at each other like this :ben: I tried to get away several times and had to go home in the end :mad: she was sweet though and I suppose she thought I was going to burn,,,,,

Top Bottom