July 2011

DragonZest

TLR tester
Sooooo.....

I don't really know what's been going on in most parts of Tunisia recently, everywhere I visited in June seemed to be ok but I was talking to someone I know from Hammamet today and have been told that the protests are kicking off again, big style.

I'm not sure if it is just hear say or not but I have been told that today there was protests in Tunis, Gafsa and Sfax and that there will be one in Hammamet in the next few days and that it is expected that other towns and cities will follow.

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything recent about this?

Salek

Sooooo.....

I don't really know what's been going on in most parts of Tunisia recently, everywhere I visited in June seemed to be ok but I was talking to someone I know from Hammamet today and have been told that the protests are kicking off again, big style.

I'm not sure if it is just hear say or not but I have been told that today there was protests in Tunis, Gafsa and Sfax and that there will be one in Hammamet in the next few days and that it is expected that other towns and cities will follow.

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything recent about this?
Hi there DragonZest ! I have been 'living' in Sousse for around 3 months now; life here is 'normal' as far as I see, especially now that the place is very busy with a lot of Libyan tourists and foreigners..........although not as many as normal for July of course ! I go back and forth to Hammamet from time to time for work as well as from Sousse to Tunis and have seen nothing untoward during my travels. Having said that I understand there are 'outbursts' and pockets of disturbances still going on in certain places. The last time I drove from Sousse to Djerba, we were stopped in a town down south whilst they demonstrated in the main square for jobs and better conditions. There was no violence though, they just wouldn't let any traffic through. My driver finally spoke to someone who allowed us to pass and we continued undisturbed.

fann

The only thing I heared is that there is a curfew in Gafsa because there has been fights between two (very big) families.....

alAzima

Administrator & Voice of Reason
Staff member
I believe there are some large scale protests slated for tomorrow in various areas and regions. Also I read that they are planning to meet in the Kasbah again (third time) so Kasbah Part III I suppose.

There was a big stink over a movie that was made about how there is no God and people got rather upset.
Following a complaint by a lawyer a criminal investigation has been opened against the Tunisian film maker Nadia El Fani who caused controversy with the documentary named "Ni Maitre, Ni Allah," later renamed "Laïcitié Inshallah." (Meaning Secularism God willing.) The complaint is the first ever to be made against any artist in Tunisia in respect of his or her work.

pbf

Am just back from Tunisia and was asking my husband about curfews/protests. He said there is still trouble in some places but not where he lives. Ocassionally still some trouble in Hammamet which is the nearest town to him

alAzima

Administrator & Voice of Reason
Staff member
Definitely read the link Woodz left about the 14 year old killed in Sidi bouzid. It's all starting up again (well not that it ever really stopped) in sidi bouzid. They are burning everything now and it's gone kind of nuts at the moment.

DragonZest

TLR tester
This is parts of a report posted by the Party Pirate Tunisie, so not sure exactly how reliable it is but thought it is worth a wee read:

Yesterday, Saturday, July 16, protesters tried to access the place "El Kasbah" for the second time, the start was at the place "Muhammad Ali" or the headquarters of the UGTT. The demonstrators were stopped at the hospital "Errabta" by the security forces who had them encircled by cars (according to witnesses, they attempted to crush them), they launched tear gas and attacked the demonstrators.

The protesters fled to the hospital as it appeared to them "the safest place." This could not save them because the police then hunted for them in the hospital, they were assaulted and arrested. The wounds were generally in the skull (they were clubbed over the head).

Some of them, after their release, moved to the hospital, "Charles Nicole" and came forward to request a medical certificate which proves their aggression (the police). They did not know that the police had marked its presence here, too, their aim was to prevent having the certificates issued, orders were given to doctors not to issue any certificate to prove their aggression.

Montassar Djebali, a youth who was arrested and released said they were abused in police stations, they were stripped naked and assaulted and he said he saw people with whom he was arrested that had feet and anal bleeding.

Top Bottom