Panorama Documentary Tonight

MH007

Administrator
Staff member
You can watch it on BBC iplayer.....

Wow those Tunisian guys were so brave!

For anyone doubting the FCO's travel advice and slating them for it should watch this - it is obvious that there are not enough measures in place to protect tourists. The first policeman on scene refused to shoot the terrorist and a civilian Tunisian had to take the Policemans gun to try and shoot the guy!!

I know terrorists can attack anywhere but really watching this was horrifying - he basically got carte blanche for almost 45 minutes to kill and maim tourists but he could have got so many more if it hadn't been for the brave locals. I know we slate Tunisian rats but these guys really did put their lives on the line. Shocking!

I cried watching it :Cry:

xxx

FoolInLove

I hope it get on there sooner or later, and the same about the love rat episode with Caramel
:(
thanks for trying :)

crystal

The Punchy Scot
Horrific... My heart went out to the victims.. it must have been horrifiying to see people dead and being shot in front of their eyes.. and to lie seriously hurt /dying/ it does not bear thinking about.. the poor woman who pretended to be dead.. she must have been terrified..

As for the ones that helped.. good on them.. glad to see there is some decent people.. but they only did what anyone would do..

But how bloody dare he.. to stand and shoot innocent people and throw grenades.. Why?? for what??? sheer violence...

RedRose

You can watch it on BBC iplayer.....

Wow those Tunisian guys were so brave!

For anyone doubting the FCO's travel advice and slating them for it should watch this - it is obvious that there are not enough measures in place to protect tourists. The first policeman on scene refused to shoot the terrorist and a civilian Tunisian had to take the Policemans gun to try and shoot the guy!!

I know terrorists can attack anywhere but really watching this was horrifying - he basically got carte blanche for almost 45 minutes to kill and maim tourists but he could have got so many more if it hadn't been for the brave locals. I know we slate Tunisian rats but these guys really did put their lives on the line. Shocking!

I cried watching it :Cry:

xxx
The inaction of the Tunisian Police was a bloody disgrace, its disgusting. And what do members think about the failure of the uk FO/Travel Agents to inform holidaymakers of the ISIS Warning to Christians which was issued in May after the Bardo shootings saying 'not to come to Tunisia this summer.'.....only weeks before these shootings. Many people would also have been totally unaware of the suicide bomber who tried unsuccessfullyto blow up the Riadh Palms in Sousse in 2013 as well, thankfully only suceeding in blowing himself up instead on the beach. UK Intellegnce must have been aware of the existence of this threat, so why was it not passed on to the travelling public? The saying 'blood on their hands' springs to mind. It would not surprise me if Legal Actions were not commenced shortly by some of the victms or their families. Watching this was so upsetting, it brought me to tears. If it were not for the local Tunisians that helped the carnage would surely have been even worse, so well done them!

MH007

Administrator
Staff member
The inaction of the Tunisian Police was a bloody disgrace, its disgusting. And what do members think about the failure of the uk FO/Travel Agents to inform holidaymakers of the ISIS Warning to Christians which was issued in May after the Bardo shootings saying 'not to come to Tunisia this summer.'.....only weeks before these shootings. Many people would also have been totally unaware of the suicide bomber who tried unsuccessfullyto blow up the Riadh Palms in Sousse in 2013 as well, thankfully only suceeding in blowing himself up instead on the beach. UK Intellegnce must have been aware of the existence of this threat, so why was it not passed on to the travelling public? The saying 'blood on their hands' springs to mind. It would not surprise me if Legal Actions were not commenced shortly by some of the victms or their families. Watching this was so upsetting, it brought me to tears. If it were not for the local Tunisians that helped the carnage would surely have been even worse, so well done them!
To be fair I was aware of this incident but took faith in the fact he was stopped in his tracks - I even stayed at the hotel he blew himself up at just a week later. It wasn't hidden it was on the newscast and on the FCO travel advice.

Did it stop me....no? I took it as an isolated incident. More worrying is the direct threats targeted at tunisian holidaying tourists - shocking that this wasn't made public.

rose711

To be fair I was aware of this incident but took faith in the fact he was stopped in his tracks - I even stayed at the hotel he blew himself up at just a week later. It wasn't hidden it was on the newscast and on the FCO travel advice.

Did it stop me....no? I took it as an isolated incident. More worrying is the direct threats targeted at tunisian holidaying tourists - shocking that this wasn't made public.
What about the museum attack? Would that have stopped you? That was directed at tourists, yet tourists still kept coming.

Is there a mindset that people in the tourist zone and the hotels are separate from the rest of the country? I know I have felt that way in resorts in Mexico.

The horrible response of the police was as shocking to me as the crime itself. I know I have said that many times, but the complete lack of a timely response followed by the complete lack of control of the crime scene, proved how unprepared they were for an attack against tourists.

Is there any feeling that the police care less about crimes against Western tourists? Do they share the contempt for Westerners that the rats have?

crystal

The Punchy Scot
The police in Tunisia are corrupt.. constantly demanding money and take bribes .. there salary is low also.. the only people that can control is the army... that was brought in at the uprising.. the Police will not involve themselves in terror attacks.. as proven with the documentary.. they are not trained or equipped. we are not speaking about the police as we know it. they certainly do not get respect as our police do.. why because they are corrupt... they turn blind eyes to many things... and do not interview or investigate crime correctly unless there is money to be had...

All men are to do there military service and this is the best thing for them.. shows them discipline and self worth.. the only decent thing in Tunisia.. but of course we know.. they need to be bought out.. because they are weaklings lazy good for nothings... and there is no coffee shops in the army:eek:...

There is border controls manned by the army.. but they do not have counterterrorism in place to fight and protect.. money needs to be spent and laws put in place with a no tolerance policy .

People continued to go to Tunisia as we Brits have the mind frame that we will not be stopped from doing what we want, because of the minority of terrorists.. but, this terrorism is growing and Tunisia has not taken measures or put them in place as other countries would... the recent fotage of holiday makers unhappy that they had been curtailed shows this..

The suicide bomber was on the news and was common knowledge at the time.. It is a huge decision for the FCO to decide to stop flights to any country.. and the fact that they did, but took 2 weeks to do this tells me a huge warning sign that it is very unsafe for tourists, or any westerner... It is a castrophy for Tunisia in financial terms. hopefully this will be a wake up call for them to take action.. I feel sorry for the people that have had their livliehood taken away, from the farmers, suppliers, ordinary workers.. for them this is whether there is food on the table.. very sad...
Will the red alert be lifted in October?? I very much doubt it... I do believe that the salafists/ isis will be very happy that they have no tourists and will be trying to put pressure on to change to saria law.. this has given them the upper hand..

It is up to Tunisia now.. which way they will jump.... hopefully if will be the right way

rose711

I too have the feeling that Tunisia is very unsafe for Westerners. As I posted in the other thread, Jane's, the company known for security assessment, reports that further attacks against tourists and security forces are expected.

I'm from New York and we dont let terrorists stop us from living our lives, but I think the UK tourists really understand the risk. The risk is so much higher there than new york or London or Madrid.

The blame for people losing their jobs goes to ISIS, not the UK protecting its citizens. I do feel sorry for the Tunisian people, but allowing tourists to return would be irresponsible.

I don't understand why the army wasn't in place to respond if they are the only ones who can stop terrorists. Tunisia had the benefit of the doubt and time to respond to protect tourists after the Bardo attack.

Last edited:

crystal

The Punchy Scot
Yes they did.. so why didn't they??? maybe not a priority... :( a question that may have many answers..and opinions..

I_fell_for_it

What no one has picked up on is that people knew the attack was going to happen.
I saw a sky news correspondent say in an interview that he heard that something was going to happen on the beach that day so he stayed away!!!!! Wtf.. Why not alert people? Most likely he wanted a good news story..
But also why have authorities not questioned this reporter on who gave him the intell, it should be followed up!!

RedRose

What no one has picked up on is that people knew the attack was going to happen.
I saw a sky news correspondent say in an interview that he heard that something was going to happen on the beach that day so he stayed away!!!!! Wtf.. Why not alert people? Most likely he wanted a good news story..
But also why have authorities not questioned this reporter on who gave him the intell, it should be followed up!!
I heard about this story as well but don't know how true it was, as you say it should at least have been investigated to see if the pre-warning this reporter was given could be substantiated. Maybe it was, we the public don't get told everything, much is going on behind the scenes, it is evolving.

AmberHeart

Lady Amberheart of Gafsa
A very good friend of mine works in the security field and Tunisia is considered extremely dangerous. The entire Marine Nato must not enter the Tunisian soil, because much violence done do not come to the public.
:/

Femme Fatale

A very good friend of mine works in the security field and Tunisia is considered extremely dangerous. The entire Marine Nato must not enter the Tunisian soil, because much violence done do not come to the public.
I too have heard this from US soldiers and some in intelligence. If those soldiers, who are highly trained won't step foot in Tunisia, then I won't either. That's enough to deter me. I've told a few military friends I wanted to visit my rat when him and I talked, each one of them sent warnings to me. Dont do it. They would say, never worry about the crime you see on the news from there, worry about what they dont report, that's the scary part. Tunisians have no loyalty to me or any tourists. Why would they protect me? The soldiers from my country cant even visit there. They would get in trouble. Its banned. Only military I know from my country thats there are on official government orders (e.g., special forces). I wouldnt step foot in that country if it was a free paid vacation.

Mystery

I too have heard this from US soldiers and some in intelligence. If those soldiers, who are highly trained won't step foot in Tunisia, then I won't either. That's enough to deter me. I've told a few military friends I wanted to visit my rat when him and I talked, each one of them sent warnings to me. Dont do it. They would say, never worry about the crime you see on the news from there, worry about what they dont report, that's the scary part. Tunisians have no loyalty to me or any tourists. Why would they protect me? The soldiers from my country cant even visit there. They would get in trouble. Its banned. Only military I know from my country thats there are on official government orders (e.g., special forces). I wouldnt step foot in that country if it was a free paid vacation.
It's the rats you need fear more.
Yes there is terrorists we have them in uk too.
They are targeting the police right now and military. It's not safe anywhere them poor women in Morocco and that was a safe destination on our government website.
You need to be vigilant in any country, I would not advise any woman to go alone to meet any man.
You don't know the dangers that these rats represent to women. I think even a man is not safe alone. I saw 1 British guy running with no shoes on he was in such a state. He had been robbed of everything except his underwear.
He was to afraid to stop talk to me he was just shouting and running wild.
:Cry:

Mango Chutney

Administrator.
Staff member
It's the rats you need fear more.
I disagree....I personally put them both in the same bracket in terms of danger....they both pose a massive threat to our health and safety. In fact, a massive threat to our lives.
Yes there is terrorists we have them in uk too
We do...but it is different in Tunisia....it is a bigger problem.

Top Bottom