petition

Discussion in 'Tunisian Revolution' started by scarlett rose, Jan 1, 2011.

1. scarlett rose

scarlett rose Well-Known Member

happy New year to all ..I was just wondering if there was any way we could start a petition and send it to the british embassy in tunisia or even to Ben ali to make them aware of the gross infringement of certain tunisia people's rights especially in relation to the case of ben ouazzi the man who burnt himself because of police harrassment ..I know I was involved with the gaza appeals 2 yrs ago and managed to successfully petition English pm and other world leaders about the bombing in Gaza because at time my friend was in gaza and told me of the atrocities he asked me for help I got in touch with muslimhands a charity group in London and they managed to get aid through to gaza ..it seems to me that not many countries are alerted or aware of what is happening in Tunisia and what could exacerbate into more violence and violation of human rights ...what do you all think ??

2. Karma

Karma Well-Known Member

Hiya scarlett rose,
    My hubby reads the tunisian news papers online and he aswell as myself are horrified by whats going on.
    You can count on our support.

3. Veritas

Veritas The Contessa

Same goes for me, although I'm not a British national. Nonetheless it's indeed a worthwhile idea and I offer my total support.

4. Liana

Liana Active Member

Same for me(f)

5. paula01

paula01 Well-Known Member

Me too:ben:

6. Madame2010

Madame2010 Active Member

and me.

7. Caramel

Caramel Clairvoyante !!

me too.

8. Dreama

Dreama Member

& me too :D

9. scarlett rose

Oh I am pleased Im gonna contact amnesty international and ask if they will get involved although I saw a post on their site about a guy
    im tryin to paste this link if it doesnt work you can see for yourselves on amnestys site Stop harassment of human rights activists in Tunisia | Amnesty International
    www.amnesty.org
    Many, like Ali Ben Salem, are put under surveillance, have their freedom of movement restricted and are physically assaulted for their work.

This man has been tortured in Tunisia for his work on human rights and stuff and is being prevented from continuing with his support ...there must be a way to break through but am not sure yet how ...think I will try to post a petition online and see how it goes because thats what we did with the GAZA appeals it was an online petition which went around the world it was awesome and you could go online sign it and it told you what number you were ..thanks all for your support

10. scarlett rose

AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL IN TUNISIA

SECTION CONTACT INFORMATION

Phone: + 216 71 35 34 17
    Fax: + 216 71 35 26 71
    Address: 67 rue Oum Kalthoum 3eme Etage, Escalier B Tunis 1000 TN
    Email: [email protected]

THIS is the supposed address for Amnesty International in TUNISIA so if we could somehow flood them with protests and maybe the petition also they may listen but after reading what has happened to the guy there its not too hopeful ..

11. scarlett rose

12. tigerlil

tigerlil Moderator Staff Member

13. scarlett rose

oooooopsie daisy hang off signing yet as the pic shows the tunisianloverats.com website and i dnt want it goin to the president or government with THAT on lol ive pmd 2 mods and asked them if they can delete it im havin a blonde moment...

14. tigerlil

tigerlil Moderator Staff Member

ive already filled it out , do u want me to do it again???

15. scarlett rose

ill wait until i speak 2 ben or one of the mods and see if its ok as it is or if anyone else can do it x

16. Veritas

Veritas The Contessa

Scarlett Rose let us know when it's ok to sign it and we'll do it pronto.

17. scarlett rose

18. scarlett rose

19. Dreama

Dreama Member

You could also spread the word on FaceBook causes if you are on FaceBook :D
    I did have a group on there about Tunisian human rights violations and all my posts and fake profile have been removed grrr! :mad:

20. scarlett rose

Finally guys 4 hrs later lol the second link is the one to read and sign I think its better ...It shows the people who sign it also ..my friend just called me and I told her I was busy creating a petition for Tunisia ..she said she knew nothing about it and said I had better be careful because the last time I was involved in petitions for gaza I had my facebook account deleted sheesh well I do have a very personal reason why Im doing this also the man I love is in sidi Bouzid ..and Im sure there are other ladies and friends on here who are also concerned about the riots and general instability in the south at this time...I hope it does some good cannot just sit here in my comfort zone, I needed to get out of my comfort zone ..thanks all for the support ...

21. Veritas

Veritas The Contessa

I think what you're doing it's extremely brave (f)and if I can help, even if by a single click, from behind the safety and comfort of my screen I think it's the very least I can do.

My thoughts and prayers are with all those people around the world who are victims of such atrocities. And it truly puts into perspective all these stupid squabbles we have at times on and off srceen, where there are people battling not only for their existence, but also for their basic right of living and leading a dignified and honourable life on this Earth. (f)

22. scarlett rose

This video says it all very informative I found the link in a tunisian newspaper....

23. alAzima

alAzima Administrator & Voice of Reason Staff Member

University and school related protests that occurred today, the first day back after a school holiday :

Summary:
    Univ. Sousse: encirclement of the police station and confrontation
    High School: 18.01 Jbeniana
    Technical school Djerba
    Technical school, Hedi Chaker and Driver, Sfax
    High School Byrsa + March 2, Tunis
    High School March 2 Ouardeya
    Hannibal High School Arianna
    Lycée Ibn Khaldun Sidi Bouzid
    High School om Larayes
    Other schools in Msaken, Grombélia, Gafsa and Mourouj
    Gabes violent confrontation
    Kasserine city to protest Zouhour # SidiBouzid

24. Caramel

Caramel Clairvoyante !!

I am sure they will put curfews in place very soon because the army and police will not be able to deal with these riots and demonstrations if they become more widespread. Large gatherings will also not be tolerated. My fear is many innocent people will be killed or hurt.

25. alAzima

alAzima Administrator & Voice of Reason Staff Member

I think that you are right and this is exactly what is going to happen. Especially curfews for those under the age of 21. For the very reason of what happened today, they considered extending the holiday by another week in hopes that the climate would change. They were fearful that sending the students, particularly University students, back to school would only create more protests and riots.

Strangely enough a large amount of what happened today seemed to take place in highschools and technical schools and not as much in the Universities.

I really like what the American professor in Paris has to say in that " Inside the Story : Tunisia " al Jazzera English special that I posted. He speaks about the science of protests, the mentality of the groups who do protest and the limited resources of protests being the reason they are often short lived and non effective. The youth being the driving force behind these protests presents the problem that they lack organization and financial resources to accomplish their goals or to have the protests go on long term. He said that typically after a few weeks, the movement fizzles out as students return to studying and get bored with it.

Though further I really agreed with what he said about no matter if the protest effort should end, the government has a remarkable opportunity to seize here in listening to what the youth is saying and creating change based on what the Tunisian public is asking for.