Recommendations,ideas and tips

Beansontoast

Here you can tell us about something good you have come across,be it a book,a holiday,a place to go,a recipe or a new tasty steak n, kidney pudden !!

Being a bookworm I will recommend a book.

Author is Esma Abdelhamid
The story of 15 years of her life,she is a young Tunisian and forced to marry at the age of 19.The story takes her to a new life in Germany with her horrible husband ,where she knows nothing and cannot even read and write.A true story.
The title of which I do not know,in German it is called Löwenmutter.Get googling.

Second tip;

Both books by Kenize Mourad (she has only written two) The first being Regards from the Dead Princess

Based on facts she could uncover concerning her late mother, Selma, the author has re-created the story of a Turkish princess and granddaughter of Murad V, the last ruler of the Ottoman Empire. The result, reminiscent of a gothic TV tale, portrays the coming of age of the beautiful, young, expatriated princess in Beirut and her subsequent arranged marriage to a handsome rajah in India whom she does not meet before her wedding night. Forced to live a secluded life as an unaccepted stranger in the rajah's palace, the pampered, rebellious princess gains her freedom by fleeing to Paris at the time of the Nazi Occupation. There she gives birth to a daughter.

alAzima

Administrator & Voice of Reason
Staff member
Those both sound like good reads. I'm going to have to google around and see if there is any chance that the first book has been translated to English. I looked on Amazon and I'm not seeing a translation, but it definitely sounds like an interesting (yet sad) read.

I'm a book worm too. I carry books everywhere I go and I'm often teased by my husband for "eating" not reading books.

I recently read the Stieg Larsson series "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" " The Girl Who Played with Fire" and "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest"
I'm pretty sure I already wrote about them on here, but they were definitely EXCELLENT reads. The first two have been made into films though in the Swedish language with English subtitles. They would be definitely appreciated by someone who loves thriller, crime, mystery type books.

I'm now re-reading the True Blood/ Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire Mystery novels by Charline Harris. They are the books behind the HBO series True Blood which is in it's 3rd Season and was just renewed for season 4. I read all 10 a few months back, but realized that I read through them way too fast and need to go back and reread. They are adult, light, sexual, funny, supernatural mixed with real world kind of novels.

Dead Until Dark is the first book in Charlaine Harris's series The Southern Vampire Mysteries / Sookie Stackhouse novels. In this first installment, the author introduces the character of Sookie Stackhouse, a young telepathic waitress from the fictional town of Bon Temps, Louisiana, and her world, an alternate history where vampires, shapeshifters and other supernatual beings coexist with humans. In Dead Until Dark Sookie begins a romantic entanglement with her vampire neighbor and is faced with a series of murders in town.

alAzima

Staff member
I made these cookies a few nights ago and the hubby LOVED them. Actually ate almost the whole tray but I managed to salvage one for Aaron LOL

Recipe: Ranger Cookies
http://www.facebook.com/ajax/share_dialog.php?s=4&appid=2347471856&p[]=163903025&p[]=406439895935

Ranger Cookies

INGREDIENTS

• Cook Time: 12 min (+ Prep Time = 15 min)
• Servings: 5 dozen cookies
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 1 cup shortening
• 2 eggs
• 1 tsp. vanilla
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1 tsp. baking soda
• 1 tsp. baking powder
• 2 cups flour
• 2 cups rice krispies
• 2 cups quick oats
• 1 cup flaked coconut

DIRECTIONS

Cream together sugars, shortening and eggs. Add vanilla, salt, soda, baking powder and flour. Stir in cereals and coconut. Roll into balls. Place on cookie sheet and press with a fork.

Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheet.

For an extra twist of flavor and texture, press caramel bits into the cookies before you pop them in the oven! (Kraft makes some that are great for this... perfectly pea-sized little bits of caramel all ready to go.)

Enjoy!

alAzima

Staff member
Ash FORGET the recipe!! Just SEND me some :drool:

I'm going to google that first book too. Sounds like my kind of reading B)
Okay will mail you some ASAP, just hope they're not to stale when they get there lol

Bean's first book or my first book? I googled the first book that Beans discussed and it does not appear to have been translated to English yet. So unless your German is up to snuff, I don't think we'll be reading it soon. Maybe Beans will translate it for us... a bed time story lol

If you're talking to me, the first book was the Stieg Larsson series and they really are super! You'll like them. And the character Lisbeth reminds me so much of a member here - Not what happens to her but her straight forward way of thinking and probably just because her user name starts with an L.

Speaking of ,where is Liana? I hope she's doing alright, haven't seen her posting in a while.

curlylocks09

Friguia Park - this year they have dolphin show there. I went last week and my friend swam with the dolphins. They haven't been there long so are still in training but they are really good.

The zoo is really nice too, the animals are well looked after and look really healthy. They also do a zulu evening in the restaurant which is a mixture of Tunisian Folklore and the South African zulus. The evening includes a free meal and drinks. It's a really great day out for all ages.

curlylocks09

Yeah it's a really great day out, I love it!

Meal is Chorba to start, mixed platter of salad - tunisian, mechouia etc. followed by brik (really greasy) then chicken and rice finished with fruit and icecream.

Drinks on table include water, boga, coke, red wine...all free.

The entertainment is great, there are a new team of Zulus there and they are fantastic. The folklore, belly dancers and fire eater so good too.

Really child-friendly so great for families.

W

WouldI

Doktor Power magic eraser from JML - a block of white stuff that you cut and titillated slightly and it removes marks. J has drawn so many masterpieces in crayon all over the walls that I was thinking I needed to re-paint, but this is a wonder-product - no more 'fishies', flowers or cats on my walls!!! Apparently it can be used on cars (scuff marks, alloys etc.), pots and pans that have stubborn burns, trainers and shoes, plastic etc. Anyway, I now feel like one of those women on the shopping channel :blush::ben:, but it really does work :ben: (Note to self: get a life :ben:)

alAzima

Staff member
Doktor Power magic eraser from JML - a block of white stuff that you cut and titillated slightly and it removes marks. J has drawn so many masterpieces in crayon all over the walls that I was thinking I needed to re-paint, but this is a wonder-product - no more 'fishies', flowers or cats on my walls!!! Apparently it can be used on cars (scuff marks, alloys etc.), pots and pans that have stubborn burns, trainers and shoes, plastic etc. Anyway, I now feel like one of those women on the shopping channel :blush::ben:, but it really does work :ben: (Note to self: get a life :ben:)

That is such a stolen American product!! We've had it for years and it's Mr. Clean Magic Eraser :
Mr Clean Magic Eraser - Google Search

But I agree it's amazing. I always have them in the house for kid's coloring on the walls, scuffs or marks on my white walls, sneakers that are dirty.. I can't even think of all things I've used them for in the past. I love those things almost as much as I love my Clorox Wipes.

Caramel

Clairvoyante !!
I had a blocked kitchen sink some time ago and tried every product in the super market to no avail. Then my neighbour suggest I mixed equal parts of white vinegar with baking powder .... and you know what it worked! I tried this for the same problem a few months back and it was great.

W

WouldI

That is such a stolen American product!! We've had it for years and it's Mr. Clean Magic Eraser :
Mr Clean Magic Eraser - Google Search

But I agree it's amazing. I always have them in the house for kid's coloring on the walls, scuffs or marks on my white walls, sneakers that are dirty.. I can't even think of all things I've used them for in the past. I love those things almost as much as I love my Clorox Wipes.
hahahaha Doktor Power Vs. Mr Clean :ben:

W

WouldI

I had a blocked kitchen sink some time ago and tried every product in the super market to no avail. Then my neighbour suggest I mixed equal parts of white vinegar with baking powder .... and you know what it worked! I tried this for the same problem a few months back and it was great.
Basically you made a chemical bomb :ben: hahahaha I think I read that in the 'How Clean is Your House' book! Some good tips in that (though my only option now is to move to a cleaner house LOL! I give up!)

Tunisianbelle

'Don't call me Darling!' Mod
Staff member
If you have oil stains on clothes, sprinkle talc on them. Let the talc sit for a bit to absorb the oil, then launder as usual.

W

WildCat

Here's a good tip for all women:
Special care should be taken to avoid the sagging or dropping of breasts. Splashing cold water will help firm a flabby bosom and one should spray or sponge the breasts in cold water always before getting out of a bath or shower.

:ben::ben:

W

WouldI

ROFL!!!!!! I'd like to point out that this thread was clean (literally) before Cat started talking about bazoulas :ben: and it's just gone downhill from there!! :ben: Anyway, great personal maintenance tips girls!! (should I ever need them, of course :whistle:)

W

WouldI

How to look good naked? ... Turn off the light :ben:
Candlelight is very flattering - you just have to be careful not to burn anything delicate :ben: or start a house fire :ben: (though a sudden rush of firemen may not be such a bad thing :ben:)

W

WouldI

Natural yoghurt is good for thrush. You have to lay on your bed with no knickers on and put the yoghurt on for a while. (don't eat the yoghurt or get anyone else to afterwards. Highly unhygienic and could result in oral thrush)
I bet Doktor Power would do the job - you can cut it to any shape!! :ben: I'll send you some Julz and you can tell us if it cured your little problem :ben:

Caramel

Clairvoyante !!
Basically you made a chemical bomb :ben: hahahaha I think I read that in the 'How Clean is Your House' book! Some good tips in that (though my only option now is to move to a cleaner house LOL! I give up!)
Certainly shifted the blockage ...must have given it a blast.

Beansontoast

Those both sound like good reads. I'm going to have to google around and see if there is any chance that the first book has been translated to English. I looked on Amazon and I'm not seeing a translation, but it definitely sounds like an interesting (yet sad) read.

I'm a book worm too. I carry books everywhere I go and I'm often teased by my husband for "eating" not reading books.

I recently read the Stieg Larsson series "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" " The Girl Who Played with Fire" and "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest"
I'm pretty sure I already wrote about them on here, but they were definitely EXCELLENT reads. The first two have been made into films though in the Swedish language with English subtitles. They would be definitely appreciated by someone who loves thriller, crime, mystery type books.

I'm now re-reading the True Blood/ Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire Mystery novels by Charline Harris. They are the books behind the HBO series True Blood which is in it's 3rd Season and was just renewed for season 4. I read all 10 a few months back, but realized that I read through them way too fast and need to go back and reread. They are adult, light, sexual, funny, supernatural mixed with real world kind of novels.

Dead Until Dark is the first book in Charlaine Harris's series The Southern Vampire Mysteries / Sookie Stackhouse novels. In this first installment, the author introduces the character of Sookie Stackhouse, a young telepathic waitress from the fictional town of Bon Temps, Louisiana, and her world, an alternate history where vampires, shapeshifters and other supernatual beings coexist with humans. In Dead Until Dark Sookie begins a romantic entanglement with her vampire neighbor and is faced with a series of murders in town.
I can,t believe it!!!!!! I have just come from Goodreads.com and read about those books and have just ordered all 3 on ebay!!!!!(Stieg Larsson)

Beansontoast

Here's a good tip for all women:
Special care should be taken to avoid the sagging or dropping of breasts. Splashing cold water will help firm a flabby bosom and one should spray or sponge the breasts in cold water always before getting out of a bath or shower.

:ben::ben:
Woodz,this tip is no good for you!!!! LOL!!!!!

Beansontoast

If you are hot in bed (?????) during this weather( 42°C here) put those frozen packs in bed with you from the cool box.

Hansaplast Velvet Feet Cream if you have dinosaur feet like me

Beansontoast

Just finished The Lovely Bones from Alice Sebold.......if you love a book where suddenly tears are dripping down your nozzle and you have a lump in your throat..this is one of them :mad:

curlylocks09

Just finished The Lovely Bones from Alice Sebold.......if you love a book where suddenly tears are dripping down your nozzle and you have a lump in your throat..this is one of them :mad:

I loved that book. So moving and emotional, really makes you think.

I hear there has been a film made. Have you seen it? x

Top Bottom