Registration of marriages in the country of the foreign spouse

C

Caramel

For the past year, I have been contacted by women as far as the Phillipines and US about their inability to register their marriages at the foreign spouses embassy in their country. Especially from Tunisia, the stance has always been for the man to register, and if he has dubious intentions, he is unlikely to do so. This usually involves the woman in going to great expenses to hire a lawyer in their foreign spouse's country to register their marriages and divorce.

Not registering their marriages has very often resulted in the foreign husband being able to re-marry in their home country and start a family without knowledge of the foreign spouse and usually while still married to his foreign spouse.

When a friend and I wrote to the Minister responsible for North Africa and explained what was going on. We received a letter saying that he was unable to intervene in the policies of Tunisia.

We didnt stop at that and wrote another letter setting out if we could not change the law in another country, why we must change the law in the UK to prevent these situations, concerning both divorce and marriages.

Today we received a reply from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, the contents of the letter stated that the Foreign and Commonwealth office officials had forwarded the letter to UKBA and the Ministry of Justice who deal with this area of law and the letter quoted that constructive suggestions were made so that in the future others did not find themselves in a similar position to Mrs..................

As Mrs....... points out her case is not relevant only to the situation in Tunisia but addressing this problem will require an overall change to the way the UK deals with marriage/divorce legislation.

This letter is signed by Alistair Burt, Minister responsible for Relations with Tunisia, Foreign and Commonwealth Office, London.

The letter from the Foreign and Commonwealth office was sent to Tom Harris, MP, Glasgow South and subsequently passed onto his constituent, Mrs. ............ and stated that the Ministry of Justice and the UKBA may write to her directly.

I would suggest that all women in other countries write to their MPs or responsible government officials and insist that all marriages outside Tunisia be registered before consideration for permanent visas is given.

Its now highly likely that the UKBA and the Ministry of Justice are about to change the Immigration policy on marriage/divorce legislation and in the near future it will probably be part of their legislation that they will require all marriages/divorces to foreign nationals be registered in their country of origin. Before any kind of residency is given this requirement must be met.

I will scan the corespondence and post on this Thread tomorrow.

paula01

For the past year, I have been contacted by women as far as the Phillipines and US about their inability to register their marriages at the foreign spouses embassy in their country. Especially from Tunisia, the stance has always been for the man to register, and if he has dubious intentions, he is unlikely to do so. This usually involves the woman in going to great expenses to hire a lawyer in their foreign spouse's country to register their marriages and divorce.

Not registering their marriages has very often resulted in the foreign husband being able to re-marry in their home country and start a family without knowledge of the foreign spouse and usually while still married to his foreign spouse.

When a friend and I wrote to the Minister responsible for North Africa and explained what was going on. We received a letter saying that he was unable to intervene in the policies of Tunisia.

We didnt stop at that and wrote a letter setting out if we cannot change the law in another country, why we should change the law in the UK to prevent these situations, concerning both divorce and marriages.

Today we received a reply from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, the contents of the letter stated that the Foreign and Commonwealth office officials have forwarded the letter to UKBA and the Ministry of Justice who deal with this area of law and the letter quoted that constructive suggestions were made so that in the future others do not find themselves in a similar position to Mrs..................

As Mrs....... points out her cases is not relevant only to the situation in Tunisia and addressing this problem would require an overall change to the way the UK deals with marriage legislation.

This letter is signed by Alistair Burt, Minister responsible for Relations with Tunisia, Foreign and Commonwealth Office, London.

This letter was sent to Tom Harris, MP, Glasgow South and subsequently passed onto his constituent, Mrs. ............ that the Ministry of Justice and the UKBA may write to her directly.

I would suggest that all women in other countries write to their MPs and insist that all marriages be registered before consideration for permanent visas to be given.

I will scan the corespondence and post in this Thread tomorrow.
:clap: well done both of you :ben: Im sure all the women married to them will appreciate what you have done! at least thats one more loophole closed;) and we await the next one :ben:

M

Madame2010

:clap: well done both of you :ben: Im sure all the women married to them will appreciate what you have done! at least thats one more loophole closed;) and we await the next one :ben:
Absolutely agree. Well done to you.
Mx

C

Caramel

I have scanned the reply from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. Unfortunately, it wont allow me to import it on here as it is asking for a URL. Wildcat or WouldI, I am going to email this to you, having covered the lady's name to protect her identity. Can you please paste the letter on this thread for me? Thanks.

C

Caramel

I am hoping that this link will give you the letter from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. If not, I will email to Cat or WouldI.

C

Caramel

Thank you. We are also going to point out that the loophole where they get to come in through being married to an EU citizen is plugged and written into this law as well. The same way British women/men are protected, the same way women/men from the EU bringing these men/women into the UK must come under our laws. I hope other women/men from the EU and outside will read this thread and send the same request to their government ministers. The more governments are bombarded with these requests, they will be forced to change the law, especially when you point out constructive solutions.

The route through domestic violence is also being studied by both men and women who marry UK citizens, that as soon as they enter the UK, they have been able to claim domestic violence and given great help. This is usually investigated but these abusers of the law usually instigate most of the violence themselves and usually are able to provide proof to the police and will get away with it too if unsuspecting women are not aware of their trickery. This loophole too has to close.

This is the time to get changes in the UK as the new government is very keen to make its mark. This change will save the scammed women and men a lot of heartaches as well of saving the British government lots of money. They spend a lot getting these men/women sent back to their countries of origin.

K

I am hoping that this link will give you the letter from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. If not, I will email to Cat or WouldI.
What is this, i am trying to go through threads xx

alAzima

Administrator & Voice of Reason
This is Caramel doing something awesome trying to prevent other women from going through what happened to her. No longer being a victim, but being a survivor and an advocate. She wrote letters, calls, emails, etc to various government agencies in the UK that may be able to change laws and regulations to make it more difficult for rats to get one over on unsuspecting women, especially in regards to having to register their marriages in Tunisia so they are not later able to return to Tunisia and marry a Tunisian woman whilst still married to a British citizen.

V

Veritas

Indeed Caramel's fortitude and strength of character is to be commended by all on this Forum; and as alAzima stated Caramel is a formidable advocate for those who have gone through the same experience, but more importantly a gracious and wonderful person/human being and a beautiful woman in and out. (f)

M

Madame2010

Indeed Caramel's fortitude and strength of character is to be commended by all on this Forum; and as alAzima stated Caramel is a formidable advocate for those who have gone through the same experience, but more importantly a gracious and wonderful person/human being and a beautiful woman in and out. (f)
Totally agree with you there.
Mx

K

I also agree Caramel is a wonderful person (f)

L

Liana

Oh...good! Now I see. I was worried about them being so silent. Hope they are not in Tunisia right now???:D

C

curlylocks09

Oh...good! Now I see. I was worried about them being so silent. Hope they are not in Tunisia right now???:D
No, they've both gone on a cruise, hope they're having a fab time x