safe for tourists?

lucy jane

No one knows for sure what will happen after the election - it's a wait and see. Not everyone is going to be happy with the results, but we are hoping that everyone can accept the outcome as being what the people want and voted on and that total mayhem doesn't break out.
what do i expect if it does , i am going over in november , if i stay inside will i be safe ? and will i have to stay in tunisia until it is over to be able to get home ? xx

Tunisianbelle

'Don't call me Darling!' Mod
Staff member
im going in november as i said the 19th for a week to monistir im blonde with blue eyes will i get arrested ?? i am so worrried now i am flying on my own and staying with my boyfriend i will be safe from getting arrested wont i what happens after these elections, and what is ment by registering your travel plans and the borders shuting im only young and dont know about all this traveling i have never traveled alond i sont under stand the travel registering or the boarder closing .... please could some one answer this for me !! xx
No, you will not get arrested for being blond and blue eyed. In fact, there are Tunisian women who are naturally blond and blue eyed, and even more who are bottle blonds.

Monastir is safe and I would not anticipate anything happening to you while you are here. Just be safe - be aware of your surroundings, and be on guard the same as you would if you were visiting an unknown city in your country.

The boarder will not be closed, so don't even worry about that.

Registering your stay is something every foreigner is required to do. You contact your countrys Embassy that is located here in Tunisia and give them your details (name, passport info, where you are staying, how long you will be in country, contact info for you while in coutry) and in the case of an emergency, they will contact you to provide assistance.

NetNiet

EVIL member :D
im going in november as i said the 19th for a week to monistir im blonde with blue eyes will i get arrested ?? i am so worrried now i am flying on my own and staying with my boyfriend i will be safe from getting arrested wont i what happens after these elections, and what is ment by registering your travel plans and the borders shuting im only young and dont know about all this traveling i have never traveled alond i sont under stand the travel registering or the boarder closing .... please could some one answer this for me !! xx
LOL Lucy Jane, calm done! LOL
Take a deep breath and read again, than you see that you don't get arrested because you're blond and have blue eyes! LOL
Why should you get arrested for that?!
Please do read again aswell about that borders will not shut down, it hasn't been before and I really don't know any situation whn that will happend!

Register with your Embassy here in Tunis, have a look at their webiste, that's for your own safety.

Tunisianbelle

Staff member
what do i expect if it does , i am going over in november , if i stay inside will i be safe ? and will i have to stay in tunisia until it is over to be able to get home ? xx
If we go by the Revolution, Monastir was relatively safe. Should anything happen use your common sense and listen to what rules are put in place. If there is a curfew, obviously do not go out during curfew hours. In the case something happens, you would need to contact your airline to see the status of your flight.

lucy jane

Ohh thank you , i know sorry for doing all the stupid questions i panik easy and not being used to traveling on my own its a bit scary sorry!!

when you say register is that when you fill the cards out on the airoplane ?? xx

miss_trust

register with this website

https://www.locate.fco.gov.uk/locateportal/

this is the official foreign office website for the registration for British nationals overseas and worth doing so that the embassy knows where you are in the event of natural/manmade disaster or civil disturbance, also keep an eye on http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/middle-east-north-africa/tunisia which is the foreign office website for tunisia

Hope this helps, have travelled to tunisia loads on my own and have been ok

radioactive

Oh Lucy sorry i scared you! Those were just things my friends were telling me, who of course have never been to Tunisia or any other Arab country. They have a lot of crazy ideas. And actually, the US has a stronger warning against travel to the Phillippines and Mexico than it does for Tunisia.

lucy jane

register with this website

https://www.locate.fco.gov.uk/locateportal/

this is the official foreign office website for the registration for British nationals overseas and worth doing so that the embassy knows where you are in the event of natural/manmade disaster or civil disturbance, also keep an eye on http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/middle-east-north-africa/tunisia which is the foreign office website for tunisia

Hope this helps, have travelled to tunisia loads on my own and have been ok
thank you that is very very helpful :) xxx

W

WouldI

The answer is book a package holiday where you will be staying in a hotel and that, if there is unrest, you will be evacuated and flown home by the travel company x

tigerlil

Staff member
The answer is book a package holiday where you will be staying in a hotel and that, if there is unrest, you will be evacuated and flown home by the travel company x
sound advice there lucy please consider this option, the country is going through a massive change and is unpredictable, You really need to choose the safest option for yourself!!

lucy jane

sound advice there lucy please consider this option, the country is going through a massive change and is unpredictable, You really need to choose the safest option for yourself!!
but if i fill that form out and my air company who i fly with they will contact me wont they ? will it be that dangerous in monistir ?

Tunisianbelle

Staff member
but if i fill that form out and my air company who i fly with they will contact me wont they ? will it be that dangerous in monistir ?
If you book the airline tickets yourself, it is up to YOU to call the airline and see about what effect things have on your flight.

I do not think things will get dangerous in Monastir, but you never know. The main places to be concerned about would be Tunis, and certain cities in the South (Gafsa, Kessrine, Sidi Bouzid),and maybe Jendouba.

W

WouldI

You are an independent traveller if you book flight-only, you do not have the same cover as if you book a package holiday where you are 'looked after' by the services of a holiday rep etc.

lucy jane

Right yeah i will be getting holiday insurance , so if i was trapped out there due to the riots of the elections and my flight was canceled wouldnt the airplane company have to sort it out as i have booked return flights, x

Tunisianbelle

Staff member
Not trying to scare you or anything, but you also have to remember that right now Tunisia is also host to many Libyans. Tensions along the boarder are tense. Besides those who have come under a strictly refugee status, there are many who are here due to what is going on in Libya, but who are treeating it as a holiday. They are driving recklessly, buying up all the food in the stores, going to the discos.....a lot of Tunisians are fed up of the way these Libyans are acting and the effect it is having on them (gasoline shortages, foods being out of stock, limits placed on what you can buy, etc). This in and of itself could potentially cause problems as well and it isn't connected to the elections.

W

WouldI

Right yeah i will be getting holiday insurance , so if i was trapped out there due to the riots of the elections and my flight was canceled wouldnt the airplane company have to sort it out as i have booked return flights, x
hmmmmm I haven't a clue lol!

Tunisianbelle

Staff member
It would be up to you to contact them and make them aware of your situation. They will try to help reschedule you on an available flight, but they won't go out of their way to accomodate you - it isn't their job. That is what travel agents and/or tour companies are for.

lucy jane

Not trying to scare you or anything, but you also have to remember that right now Tunisia is also host to many Libyans. Tensions along the boarder are tense. Besides those who have come under a strictly refugee status, there are many who are here due to what is going on in Libya, but who are treeating it as a holiday. They are driving recklessly, buying up all the food in the stores, going to the discos.....a lot of Tunisians are fed up of the way these Libyans are acting and the effect it is having on them (gasoline shortages, foods being out of stock, limits placed on what you can buy, etc). This in and of itself could potentially cause problems as well and it isn't connected to the elections.
Yeah i have witnessed some of these events when i was over on holiday they was behaving bad in the hotel they was kicked out half way through the holiday.. i understand that . xx

lucy jane

It would be up to you to contact them and make them aware of your situation. They will try to help reschedule you on an available flight, but they won't go out of their way to accomodate you - it isn't their job. That is what travel agents and/or tour companies are for.
right ok thanks x

Sarra

Hi Tunisian belle im interested you mentioned Jendouba in your post about possible trouble please can you explain in more detail ?

Tunisianbelle

Staff member
Hi Tunisian belle im interested you mentioned Jendouba in your post about possible trouble please can you explain in more detail ?
Nothing particular. Jendouba had problems during the Revolution and has had a few troubles since, so I listed it as a possible place something could occur.

Sarra

Ok i was there in Jendouba during the revolution and didnt see any major problems and felt totally safe . When i went to Tunis the problems were much larger.
I think it helps that when i was younger i lived in Turkey during their revolution .
When visiting other countries you need to listen to the news and if in doubt contact your embassy/consulate for advice/info .

Tunisianbelle

Staff member
I admit that I hadn't been to Jendouba, but heard reports of what was happening there - burning the poste, the stores, the police station, etc.

I live in Monastir, and while things were calmer than in other parts of the country, I was still pretty shocked at some of the things I saw and what did happen.

Sarra

Yes very true but im you are aware sometimes the media mis-report so things get blown out of proportion!.
Very scary times as you are approaching the Elections .
Inchallah it will be a positive outcome for all Tunisians .

Top Bottom