The Military

dodger

Hello,

Does anyone know if tunisian men are still being told they have to do their army. Only my bf has had a letter to tell him to be there next week for him to do max 21 days. Thanks in advance for any replies.

alAzima

Administrator & Voice of Reason
Staff member
To my knowledge requirements for the military have not been changed and all Tunisian males are still required to do their one year of mandatory military service unless they have a valid excuse ( studying in the University, a steady job of certain requirements, marriage with a child, only male son, etc)

Also the National guard and army were calling up several previous units of Tunisian males to do service again in an effort to enlarge the army and expand their services to the Tunisian country in light of the recent events.

Hello,

Does anyone know if tunisian men are still being told they have to do their army. Only my bf has had a letter to tell him to be there next week for him to do max 21 days. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Hi hun, i don't know about the 21 days, but they are still recruting men.
Hubby is there just now and the arny is still strong in his home town of Gafsa.
I will get more info when he comes home xx

W

wakefield gal

I imagine they will be recruiting given the situation there, and wanting to regain stability.

Caramel

Clairvoyante !!
I imagine they will be recruiting given the situation there, and wanting to regain stability.
Given the situation in the country, dont think they will be able to use the excuse of buying themselves out of serving.

dodger

My man is serving his 21 days now. He started the procedure last year and was called to go Jan but was sent home again because of the troubles.

He calls me min twice a day and has told me that the men who are there now that bought themselves out are the last ones that will be able to do it.
Not sure what will happen in the future. He has almost completed his 21 days and I can't say how bad I want to see him :D

alAzima

Staff member
There is the possibility that with the formation of a new constitution, election of new ministers, changing of laws that the the requirements and workings of the military could change. The minister of defense who is in charge of the army could introduce legislation to change Tunisia's army to a volunteer army, with pay and better opportunities OR it could become more strict and have rulings similar to Egypt where males serve 3 years, not one year. I have not yet seen anything credible discussing this ( articles, press releases, etc) But there is so much talk of all the changes coming with the new constitution and the new laws, that it will be interesting to see how/ if the military procedures change as well. In my opinion switching to a volunteer army would and could be one way to create more jobs for Tunisians, especially jobs for those without a college education. I think they could hold both principles for a while - each male having to serve one year and then from this giving them the opportunity to have a paying military career. Only my opinion.

alAzima

Staff member
I just wanted to add, for those who may not be aware, there are career military positions in Tunisia at this time. After serving the mandatory one year, a man (or in some cases woman) can go onto have a paid career. But the ones they want to keep are those who are college educated and even then the pay is not at all good, which is why few chose this option.

What I'm describing would be accepting those without a college education, paying them a salary that would be something livable.

Right now those who have graduated college may make 700-800 dinar a month as career military. Those who have the bac (highschool) but no college, may be making 400 dinar a month. But those who have not completed at least 3 years of highschool ( basically all the way but didn't pass bac) are not often kept and if they are, the money is not livable wage.

In my opinion, during that year of mandatory service, they can offer them training. Mechanic, aviation, medic, etc and keep them as career military with a livable wage of at least 600 dinar a month.

Thus creating more jobs and especially more jobs for those lacking college education ( think Mohammed Bouazizi)

Ashamed

"Since many tunisian men do not apply for drafting or ignore draft notices, every year in spring, "raids" of the police and military take place in the streets of Tunisia."

cunning little cowards :D I guess it is easier being a rat....
Ot is because they don't pay you for 1 year and You will lost your current job since your boss is not gonna wait for you :cool: That's why they don't want to go to the Army, while in contrast they want to go to police and Civic protection because they pay you.
Also our army do not fight wars outside Tunisia actually being a Cop is much more dangerous and the last war we fought was 1963 against France so there is no reason to be afraid.
I noticed also how much you like and respect Tunisian men calling them " Cowards" well Tunisian men fought your battles in WWI & WWII look at RTT4 so you should be thankfull to the brave souls who died to protect your lives and one of them is my father's grandfather a high rank officer in RTT4 who died because of an Injury in WWII in Europe (not gonna specify the country )

Big Bang Theory

Administrator
Staff member
Ot is because they don't pay you for 1 year and You will lost your current job since your boss is not gonna wait for you :cool: That's why they don't want to go to the Army, while in contrast they want to go to police and Civic protection because they pay you.
Also our army do not fight wars outside Tunisia actually being a Cop is much more dangerous and the last war we fought was 1963 against France so there is no reason to be afraid.
I noticed also how much you like and respect Tunisian men calling them " Cowards" well Tunisian men fought your battles in WWI & WWII look at RTT4 so you should be thankfull to the brave souls who died to protect your lives and one of them is my father's grandfather a high rank officer in RTT4 who died because of an Injury in WWII in Europe (not gonna specify the country )
I think Heidi was refer to rats, not all Tunisian men - we know that in the main Tunisian men are not cowards

crystal

The Punchy Scot
We have armistice day/poppy day/ this is solely to remember the dead that were killed in the wars. If your family was part of these brave men well that would be respectful and you should be proud of them..
Do not forget that our young men today are fighting wars and sign up freely for their countries.. and sadly dying to protect... Heida is referring to the Rats that are constantly buying themselves of of doing there military duty.. again taking the post out of context..

Ashamed

We have armistice day/poppy day/ this is solely to remember the dead that were killed in the wars. If your family was part of these brave men well that would be respectful and you should be proud of them..
Do not forget that our young men today are fighting wars and sign up freely for their countries.. and sadly dying to protect... Heida is referring to the Rats that are constantly buying themselves of of doing there military duty.. again taking the post out of context..

Heidi

Administrator
From the Troll's Handbook :

Q: What do I do if the ideological jerks gang up on me?

A: Don't worry! We'll send in backup reinforcements with statements like "I totally agree with you!" and "You have a good point!" For some inexplicable reason, your enemies have power - the power to reach regular, honest and decent people. That's why we attack their sites in what amounts to a sort of wolf-pack-raid. You'll never be alone, except of course when you log off, or when your Mom goes shopping.

Top Bottom