Tunisia sentences British DJ for Muslim prayer remix

Discussion in 'Tunisian News & Current Events' started by Liona, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Liona

Liona Well-Known Member

A Tunisian court has sentenced a British DJ to a year in jail after he played a dance remix of the Muslim call to prayer.

London-born Dax J, was charged with public indecency and offending public morality - but had already fled the country before the court case.

He had also issued an apology.

The nightclub was shut down after footage of the weekend's event was shared on social media and sparked outrage.

A court spokesperson told AFP news agency that the court dismissed charges against the nightclub owner and an event organiser, but the prosecution has appealed saying the two should have checked what the DJ would be playing.

The event was part of Orbit Festival in Nabeul in the country's north-east.

The footage showed clubbers dancing to music played by two European DJs.

The music included a dance version of the call to prayer, the religious act that Muslims perform five times a day.

"We will not allow attacks against religious feelings and the sacred," the governor of Nabeul, Mnaouar Ouertani, said when the club was shut down.

Earlier in the week, the organisers of the Orbit Festival apologised in a post on the event's Facebook page, but said that they did not accept responsibility for the playing of any offensive music.

The DJ "did not realise it might offend an audience from a Muslim country like ours," they said in the post (in French).

Dax J has offered his "sincere apologies to anyone who may have been offended by music that I played at Orbit Festival in Tunisia on Friday".

"It was never my intention to upset or cause offence to anybody," he said.

Dax J has performed at festivals and nightclubs around the world including techno festival Awakenings in Holland and the UK's Glastonbury.

He runs a studio in Berlin, where he also works as a sound and mastering engineer, according to his management company.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-39522342

Heidi and Anita Hospita like this.
  2. Anita Hospita

Anita Hospita Well-Known Member

OMG the aggressive, stupid comments of the "religious", "offended" Tounsis on the Facebook page. :sick::sick::sick: Makes me bloody sick.

Mango Chutney and Heidi like this.
  3. Liona

Liona Well-Known Member

Just one more confirmation of their total hypocrisy.
    PS. I have heard a little of that remix. Nothing terrible, even very nice.

Heidi likes this.
  4. Western Bride

Western Bride Active Member

Poor guy! By any means, prison sentence it's too hard.

Is DJ himself of Tunisian ethnic origin?

5. Liona

Liona Well-Known Member

I did not find the information about his origin. In my opinion, he does not look tunisian. But I could be wrong.
    DJ.jpg

Mango Chutney likes this.
  6. Mango Chutney

Mango Chutney Well-Known Member

I didn't like it, I listened to it two days ago. He's been imprisoned for a year. The DJ is British.

7. Mango Chutney

The nightclub was full of happy, dancing Tunisian people...they didn't look offended. Somebody uploaded it (it's on YouTube) and the higher up folk took offense. The hypocrisy of these people never ceases to amaze me :rolleyes:

Heidi likes this.
  8. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

A Tunisian court has handed a British DJ a one year jail term in absentia after he played a remixed recording of the Muslim call to prayer ;)

Anita Hospita likes this.
  9. Mango Chutney

Yeah, yeah...alright hawk eyes :D I didn't read the OP because I read the report a couple of days ago, so didn't realise the details had been updated. Note to self: Thoroughly scrutinise all posts before Heidi arrives :p

Anita Hospita likes this.
  10. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

heuldoch.gif

11. Mango Chutney

Haha, ok, I'll cry....and then I'll thoroughly scrutinise all my posts :p Bed calling, laters!

Heidi likes this.
  12. fienda

fienda Member

did you know that day after this a young kid was raped in a mosque, of-course none got offended. and trust me if the DJ didn't left the country he wouldn't be in jail because of a remix, Tunisia has no balls to arrest british or european people, they just made this law against him to calm down the angry muslims

ijs, magic, Heidi and 2 others like this.
  13. Mango Chutney

Nope, nothing here about the rape in the mosque :eek: Tis a strange country where the rape of a child in a religious building is acceptable, but jazzing up 'Call to Prayer' is a crime punishable by law. The religion just shocks me, the cultural acceptance shocks me, the hypocrisy shocks me. It's all so very wrong :Cry: How these people can pray at one hour and condone the rape of a child in the next hour is just obscene.

ijs, magic and Liona like this.
  14. Liona

Liona Well-Known Member

No, I did not know that terrible news of course..

ijs likes this.
  15. Ben

Ben Administrator

I agree with flenda 100%

ijs and Heidi like this.