Tunisia - Terror on the Beach Documentary

Discussion in 'Tunisian News & Current Events' started by Laura2014, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Laura2014

Laura2014 Well-Known Member

This week in the UK the inquests begin on the 30 British Tourists who were murdered in Sousse in June 2015

The BBC Panorama programme has uncovered some very worrying information. Sorry it's in English.

Tunisia, Terror on the beach.

For anyone who thinks it's safer there now, you might want to think again.

Ben, spartacus and Heidi like this.
  2. Amira

Amira Well-Known Member

I hear it is a lot off police in the street but you do not know when terror is happend again but to travel back to Tunisia i do not know it is many reason for that . I do not like to go around afraid for what happend in NeXT , Itis normal to relax on holiday and second is nr 2 you can not trust People there specially after all readning about these guys when you do not can trust People who is working at hotel it is a little scary :rolleyes:

3. Mango Chutney

Mango Chutney Well-Known Member

I watched this about four nights ago, it was repeated on BBC news through the night....put the fear of God in me, but it's crucial people know, they must make an educated and informed decision before endangering themselves by going there. Amazing how much the media hide from us!

4. Laura2014

And how much is hidden from Tunisians. My rat told me at the time how brave the police were.

From the programme it was a shambles. They had not anticipated anything. I don't blame the policemen for being afraid but they left the tourists to their own devises for 45 minutes and some brave locals tried to stop him.

Even back in the 70's we had well rehearsed procedures for IRA bombs and terrorist attacks. When I went there even before bardo I was very anxious, super alert all the time. I never felt safe there even then and I knew nothing of the guy who blew himself up on the beach.

The fact that the terrorised posted that day and for months previously that they were going to kill tourists and no one was alerted to this is unbelievable. I went twice that year and am so glad now that I got home safe (even if I was scammed by a little shit).

5. Mango Chutney

It isn't all hidden from the Tunisians. The attempted bomb attack on the mall in Tunis I'd been shopping in a day or so before dominated their news channels....but nothing was ever on ours...that was a close call, stopped by his mother grassing him up after he called her to say goodbye. Rat told me all about where the terrorists were hiding, every day saw more news reports of terrorists being caught....but this was hidden from our media. Rat told me all about the payments for Tunisians to join ISIS, it's a lot of money for them. The Tunisian people know a lot....but it's kept hidden and I think we need to know this stuff. I was in Tunisia (Tunis) when Sousse happened, those locals on the beach were real heros, and the one in the boat, in shops, on the roof, working in the hotels etc, were it not for them, I dread to think what the death toll would have been :Cry:
    I went to Bardo about six weeks after Sousse, the security was really poor, as in.....shockingly poor. The memorial plaque and bullet holes left me in tears, it was so emotional, but as an English woman, it seemed right to pay my respects. The security at the airport on my last return home was unbelievably bad....I was frightened for the entire flight! Yeah, they had the warnings, that's the really sad part....they didn't act on them! There's little any country can do about a lone wolf attack on the beach, but extra security could have seen lives saved. It's so sad, they are still unprepared and I think us Brits are now sitting ducks when the ban is lifted :(
    Me too, for all of us.....things could have been so much worse!

6. Laura2014

I thought that on my last visit at airport. In an attempt to check luggage they ibstalled an X-ray machine at the door closing all entrances. The result about 2,000 people lined up like sitting ducks on the pavement. One security guard at entrance to the airport who was on his phone. Anyone could have driven in and killed hundreds of people. Totally inept! I refused to queue in the pavement outside and jumped the queue.

7. RedRose

RedRose Well-Known Member

The suicide bomber who attempted to gain entrance to the Riyadh Palms Hotel thankfully
    in that case did not succeed because security were suspicious and refused him entry.
    My friend who was staying at this hotel said she was told he made a second attempt but was
    chased away down the beach before blowing himself up. It does not bear thinking about what
    would have happened if he had got into the hotel.
    Following this, what happened at the Mall, then Bardo and also the online terrorists threats to
    kill tourists that visited Tunisia that summer it appears that the UK Government were too
    lily livered to upset their counterparts in Tunis by imposing a complete ban on British
    Tourists visiting that summer. Added to that it also looks like the tour operators (who undoubtedly
    were aware of what was going on including the online threats by ISIS to visitors) put profit before
    customer safety, and I really hope they are penalised for this by the Inquest Judges..
    Lastly, the 'security' guards and Police, I have only one word for that lot.... COWARDS!
    Lives could and should have been saved if they had shown some backbone but did they, did they hell.
    It Is totally scary hearing what actually went on that day in Kantaoui and hopefully
    nothing like this ever happens again, but, God forbid, should it do so and you had the
    misfortune to be caught up in an attack would you feel reassured that everything
    humanly possible would be done by the people paid to protect you would do.
    Or would you be left to your own devices and be a sitting duck for any crazed terrorist
    who takes it upon himself to take a pot shot at you with no hope of any imminent assistance.
    Its food for thought!!

Mango Chutney likes this.
  8. Mango Chutney

The armed forces deliberately delayed their response too, I've been left shocked by this! They just confirm that yes, the response was deliberately delayed, but do not elaborate on why? :confused: Surely to God it was not fear on the part of these armed and trained professionals? They had more chance of taking Rezgui down with guns and military training, than a load of innocent tourists and lifeguards etc!! I really want an explanation put behind this confirmation. I hope it was not fear, at least they had weapons....imagine how scared those innocent, untrained, unarmed victims were :Cry:

9. Laura2014

According to the BBC documentary The police chief who was apparently just five minutes away with two armed officers admitted that he was afraid. He told the officers to drive to the police station to get more guns and ammunition, hence the 45 minute delay until they arrived.

10. Mango Chutney

Bloody hell, that just beggars belief!! Armed and trained officers were afraid! They just left those unarmed victims at Rezgui's mercy....un-bloody-believable :mad:

11. Laura2014

Absolutely not defending them at all here but as I understand it police are not respected, poorly paid, poorly trained and corruption is widespread. Leadership is non existent I guess they might have asked themselves why they should put their lives in the line. One policeman apparently fainted. Another was afraid to be identified as police, a beach worker begged him to shoot him but he allegedly said he had not had an order to do so. it demonstrates how even as police officers they have no power to make independent decisions.

12. Mango Chutney

It's madness though, they should have the right to shoot to kill under such extreme circumstances, not be held down awaiting orders from a higher power. I sincerely hope changes have been made to that rule! It's bad that the locals tried to help but the police couldn't/wouldn't. Yeah, there is absolutely no respect for the police at all, ratty and bro used to laugh at them.

13. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

:eek:

Tunisia - Wednesday 1 March 2017

Tunisia says six guards charged with not helping during Sousse massacre
    Security guards accused of failing to help tourists during terrorist attack claimed by Islamic State on beach resort in 2015

A Tunisian investigative judge has charged six security guards with failing to help tourists under attack during the 2015 massacre at a beach resort in Sousse, a counter-terrorism official has said.

The details were revealed after a British inquiry on Tuesday found Tunisian security forces had let down the victims of the shooting, making “deliberate and unjustifiable” delays in their journey to the scene.

Sofian Sliti, a spokesman for judicial counter-terrorism investigations, said six security guards from the Imperial Marhaba hotel had been charged with failing to help people in danger, in a manner that caused their deaths.

All six remained free pending investigation, he said. Another 14 people have been arrested in the investigation and another 12 are also under investigation.

Concluding a seven-week inquest, British judge Nicholas Loraine-Smith criticised Tunisian security forces, saying their response had been “at best shambolic and at worst cowardly”.

An inquest by Tunisian authorities was also critical of the security forces’ response.

On Wednesday a Tunisian official provoked anger by suggesting the country had suffered more from the attack, in which a total of 38 people died, due to its impact on tourism.

Lazhar Akremi told the Times: “You lost 30 people. But the suffering is bigger for the Tunisian people. I mean, the reputation of the country was ruined, tourism was destroyed, also the 30 were our guests. They were killed while they were our guests.”

Tory MP Andrew Bridgen told the newspaper: “While I have great sympathies for the economic damage done by the attack, for [him] to claim that that damage is greater than the loss of 30 British lives will do nothing to convince people that their security will be taken seriously. I call him to retract the statement for the maintenance of Anglo-Tunisian relations.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/01/tunisia-six-guards-charged-not-helping-sousse-massacre

magic likes this.
  14. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

Hotel in Tunisia where 30 Britons were massacred reopens with a new name – would you stay there?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/tunisia-massacre-hotel-reopens-with-a-different-name/

by Natalie Paris, Travel writer 24 April 2017

Now rebranded as Kantaoui Bay, the Imperial Marhaba Hotel has passed hands from Spain’s Riu chain to Steigenberger, a German hotel group that also has properties in Brussels, Frankfurt and Sharm el Sheikh.
    Driss said she is hoping for 90 per cent occupancy this summer, and sees “huge demand” from the German, Russian, Algerian and domestic markets.

“But unfortunately the English are not coming back,” she said.
    The Foreign Office still advises British tourists against all but essential travel to the vast majority of the country, and against all travel to the rest.

This is despite calls from Tunisian authorities for it to be lifted.

A plaque stands in memorial to the 38 victims on the beach in front of the hotel and, last June, on the first anniversary of the mass killing, a memorial ceremony attended by emotional hotel workers was held here.

sousse-plaque-large.jpg
    A plaque remembers the victims of the attack on the beach Credit: Getty

I never saw such a miserable memorial before in my life :eek:

magic likes this.
  15. Myriam

Myriam Well-Known Member

I would never ever stay there, even if this hotel changed a thousand times names, even if the stay would be offered for free...
    Tunisia's leaders KNEW that this was going to happen, some of them even are the instigators of islamic madness, and they did NOTHING to prevent it (and still don't!), nor did the police forces react properly...this kind of guilty behaviour should never have happened.

magic and Mango Chutney like this.
  16. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

and let´s not forget, this threat has no expiration date....

Unbenannt.PNGöpdf.PNG

17. Laura2014

What a horrible sign. It might just as well say No Swimming. They should have been better advised.

ijs, Liona and Mango Chutney like this.
  18. Laura2014

The irony, when they are killing Muslims in Iraq and Syria everyday.

Liona and Mango Chutney like this.
  19. Liona

Liona Well-Known Member

How much I hate these monkeys.

20. ijs

ijs Well-Known Member

This is sign, NOT a Plaque! :confused:

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Laura2014, Mango Chutney and Heidi like this.
  21. Mango Chutney

It's an insult to the memory of those who died and their families. The memorial in Bardo was very poor, I cried loads. They have since made more effort to respect those lives taken...I hope they do this in Sousse too. The bullet holes were still in the walls at Bardo, it broke my heart to know the fear those innocent tourists would have felt, the memorial plaque and the bullet holes made it oh, so real and frightening :(

ijs likes this.