Tunisian cookery, food and recipes

Discussion in 'The Cat's Coffee House' started by Tunisianbelle, Feb 2, 2009.

1. catwoman1

catwoman1 Well-Known Member

Mostly the same thing, if your not sure just ask here for help I prob won't be much help as I'm just starting out too :confused:

tunisiandiva likes this.
  2. tunisiandiva

tunisiandiva Guest

Lol well you'v been helpful to me!:D Thanx chick :thumbsup: xx

3. Ariel

Ariel Under the Sea Staff Member

Tdiva - I have this book which is of no use to me ;) I'm happy to post it to you if want it - just pm me your address x

tunisiandiva and catwoman1 like this.
  4. tunisiandiva

tunisiandiva Guest

oh thanx i'll do this now. thankyou so much Tsun xx:D

5. tunisiandiva

tunisiandiva Guest

It wont let me send you pm Tsun :confused:

6. Ariel

Ariel Under the Sea Staff Member

oooooo how strange I will open a convo between us

7. Bergo

Bergo Font of all Knowledge

Vegetarian Tunisia – A Survival Guide

Adam Le Nevez

[​IMG]
    The central market in Tunis​

Some cities are wonderful for vegetarian food. Any traveler who has been to Sydney, Mumbai, London or Singapore for example, is spoilt for choice with meat-free food that is fresh, tasty and creative.
    In these cities you can find many restaurants that are producing innovative vegetarian cuisine, either exclusively or as part of a wider menu. Most of these places have moved beyond understanding vegetarian cuisine primarily in terms of its health benefits or good karma, and offer great food without a lecture about baby animals or your bowels.
    Tunisia, on the other hand, is a bit trickier. Not only is the city short on restaurants serving international cuisines which are vegetarian-friendly, the concept of vegetarianism is unfamiliar to many people. Don’t want the lambs’ brains? Just pick them out. Or try the grilled fish instead. Although there is a general (though not total) absence of pork and other pig-based products in the country, the notion that someone would not want to eat any animal products still seems to baffle many waiters and chefs here.
    Despite the challenges however, it is possible for a vegetarian to eat well in Tunisia, either by choosing carefully from a Tunisian restaurant, hunting down one of the few vegetarian-friendly restaurants in Tunis (and other large cities), or self-catering at one of the many fresh produce markets.
    Several dishes in traditional Tunisian cuisine do not contain meat. One of Tunisia’s most famous dishes, the spicy salade mechouia, is vegetarian, as is salade tunisienne – a blend of cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions. Be aware, however that restaurants will often add tinned tuna to these dishes, unless you ask for them not to do so.
    Other dishes are sometimes vegetarian – vegetable couscous can be meat-free, but the sauce is often made with lamb. Ojja, an egg-based dish sometimes has lamb’s brains and sometimes doesn’t. Tajine (a kind of omelet) is usually vegetarian, except for when it has chicken in it, and kefteji, an oily, tasty mix of potatoes, capsicum, pumpkin and eggs can be served with liver. The hearty, chick pea-based winter soup lablabi is another dish that is likely to be vegetarian but often has tuna as a condiment.
    Alternatively, in Tunis, and other big cities, vegetarians can eat at a number of restaurants serving non-Tunisian cuisine that is vegetarian friendly, including Indian, Japanese, Lebanese and Italian. Although few restaurants in Tunisia can reproduce the quality and diversity available in the homelands of these cuisines (often due to the limited availability of ingredients), vegetarians will be able to find something to eat. These restaurants are not as common as in many other cities and can often be a little pricey by local standards.
    The third option, and often the best, is self-catering by shopping at one of the many excellent fresh produce markets that cover the country. The most famous is probably the central market in Tunis, located between the train station and the medina, a block back from Avenue de France. Here you can buy seasonal fresh fruit and vegetables, as well as bread, dried fruits and nuts, pasta and cheese. The soft-cheeses such as ricotta are especially tasty and good value. There is also a daily covered market in the beach suburb of La Marsa and in many other neighborhoods. Most markets only operate until early afternoon.

Tips for a vegetarian traveler in Tunisia
    The concept of vegetarianism does not exist in traditional Tunisian society, so it might be difficult to make your wishes understood, even if you have a good handle on Arabic or French. As a rule of thumb, the closer you get to major tourist centers, the easier things get.
    If you are eating in a restaurant, take your time with the waiter to check that there is no meat, but also no chicken, fish or other animal products you don’t want to eat. It is worth noting that in French the word viande (meat) only refers to red meat, not fish and poultry. In Arabic the word is (لحم) or (lahem).
    Vegetarians staying in a resort hotel should be fine as most places are used to catering to international guests and many offer buffets. However, don’t be afraid to venture beyond the pool to try the food in local restaurants.
    Here is an incomplete list of some vegetarian-friendly restaurants in Tunis.

Um Punto Macrobiotico.
    Where: rue du Bresil. Not far from Avenue de la Liberté and the Belvedère Park.
    Style of food: macrobiotic. Almost always vegetarian and usually vegan.
    Price guide: fixed menu 8 dinars (4 dinars for under 25s)
    Ambiance: austere and health-focused
    Comment: one of the best options for strict vegetarians to eat out in Tunis. It’s cheap and popular with students.

Café, Resto Alna
    Where: Avenue Principale, Les Berges du Lac
    Style of food: sometimes vegetarian
    Price guide: 20 dinars
    Ambiance: rundown 80s kitsch
    Comment: this restaurant claims to be vegetarian but when Tunsia Live went there we were offered the choice of fish or steak. Apparently if you call ahead you can arrange for a fixed vegetarian menu.

Mamie Lily
    Where: ‪Avenue Pasteur, La Goulette
    Style of food: Jewish-Tunisian, meat and meat-free dishes
    Price guide: 30 dinars or more per person
    Ambiance: elegant and relaxed
    Comments: an institution in Tunisia, this restaurant offers food that is both homely and refined. The location in an old house in La Goulette is charming. A few of the dishes are vegetarian or are adaptable.

Dum Pukht
    Where: Avenue Principale, Les berges du Lac
    Style of food: Indian
    Price guide: around 15 dinars per person
    Ambiance: Eclectic Indian
    Comment: this restaurant is popular with Americans as it is near the embassy and school. It doesn’t stray very far from the usual dishes, but like all Indian restaurants of its type, it has a separate vegetarian section. The naan bread is terrific.

Calcutta
    Where: Golden Tulip Hotel, Gammarth
    Style of food: Indian
    Price guide: 30 dinars
    Ambiance: elegant and international
    Comment: Out of town and difficult to get to without a car, it also has a vegetarian section on the menu. It serves alcohol and the service is good.

Bambou
    Where: Avenue Hédi Nouira, Ennasr 2
    Style of food: Korean-inspired
    Price guide: 15 – 25 dinars
    Ambiance: modern and relaxed
    Comments: One of the best Asian restaurants in town, serving a variety of cuisines including sushi. Vegetarian options are limited, but exist.

Other options:
    Vegetarians will also find the usual fallback options in Italian restaurants (pizza, pasta etc). Lebanese food is another good option with a number of restaurants in the city center as well as La Marsa. A few unremarkable Japanese restaurants have also opened recently which offer vegetable maki, salad and the like. Major hotels usually have more vegetarian options, since they cater to international tourists and often have buffets.

Language:
    I don’t eat meat, chicken or fish
    je ne mange pas de viande, ni de poulet, ni de poisson
    أنا لا آكل اللحم، الدجاج أو السمك

Without tuna please
    sans thon s’il vous plait.
    بدون تونة من فضلك

Is there any meat / chicken / fish in this?
    Est-ce qu’il y a de la viande / du poulet / du poisson dedans ?
    هل يحتوي هذا الطبق على أي لحم او دجاج او سمك

Is there meat in the sauce?
    Est-ce qu’il y a de la viande dans la sauce ?
    هل هناك لحم في الصلصة؟
    http://www.tunisia-live.net/2012/05/06/vegetarian-tunisia-a-survival-guide/

8. DragonZest

DragonZest TLR tester

[​IMG]
    Paisley Blog
    Tunisian Market Paisley
    [​IMG]

Tunisian Market Paisley

101 Arabian delights on offer at Tunisian Market
    Don’t worry if you can’t get away this September weekend, because you can get a taste of Tunisia right here in Renfrewshire.
    [​IMG]Experience exotic tastes, stunning traditional clothing and fabulous crafts when the popular Tunisian market returns to Paisley town centre.
    There will be plenty of food available including paella, Tunisian BBQ and pancakes as well as dried fruit, nuts, olives and sweets.
    There will also be Tunisian leather-ware handbags, ceramics, wall-tiles, tajines, lamps, pots, wood carved ornaments, jewellery, art, music, and traditional Tunisian clothes and slippers.
    The Tunisian market is brought to Paisley by Renfrewshire Council.
    Renfrewshire Council Leader, Mark Macmillan said: “The Tunisian Market has been a popular addition to the town’s calendar of events over the past couple of years, as well as the regular farmers markets. It offers shoppers a chance to try something a bit different and always adds a great buzz to the town.”​
    The market will be on Paisley’s High Street between 9.30am and 5.30pm, Saturday 22 – Sunday 30 September.
    For regular updates on local news and events follow @RenCouncilNews on Twitter or the council’s Renfrewshire page on Facebook.

NetNiet and Bergo like this.
  9. DragonZest

DragonZest TLR tester

This is now becoming a yearly event in Paisley for anyone interested that lives nearby. Unfortunately I've missed it 2 years running so not sure exactly how good it is but hoping I remember about it next year!

NetNiet and Bergo like this.
  10. Galadriel

Galadriel Globe Trotter Extraordinaire

Yes I called into see one in Sheffield last year, just needed more stalls but I suppose cost of freightage is too high for goods , the best example I saw was in Netherlands years ago at the Floriade.

DragonZest, NetNiet and Bergo like this.
  11. annabella

annabella Active Member

i would love to go to this but i think a 10 hour round trip is a bit excessive for a market lol x

DragonZest likes this.
  12. the nutty professor

the nutty professor Bad Teacher

was cancelled last year due to the bad weather

13. Galadriel

So check before you go trekking over those darn mountain passes :D

Bergo likes this.
  14. DragonZest

DragonZest TLR tester

Ahhh I didn't realise as I only seen it advertised last year on the Paisley site, I completely forgot about it this year until my friend text me on Sunday to say how amazing all the food smelled :)

15. the nutty professor

the nutty professor Bad Teacher

its bandit country, you know!
    i'm oroginally from near there.

Galadriel likes this.
  16. Bergo

I think you will find that 'Bandit Country' is not in Scotland but South Armagh in Northern Ireland, google it ;)

DragonZest, crazypink and Galadriel like this.
  17. catwoman1

thought it was Mexico!!!!!!! :D

Galadriel likes this.
  18. Bergo

Nada, ze banditos is here ;)

DragonZest and Galadriel like this.
  19. catwoman1

muchos gracios amigo :D

Bergo likes this.
  20. Galadriel

eagleeye69 likes this.
  21. Galadriel

I am missing Bergo and her posts:mad::mad::confused::Ninja: magic her back c`mmon BERGO you`ve had a break.......;)

Mona1 and tunisiasun like this.
  22. Mona1

Mona1 Well-Known Member

Miss her, too....come back Bergo xxx

DragonZest likes this.
  23. mezoo

mezoo The Decider

some of the best posts on the site . are ya there bergo? :mad::mad::confused::Ninja:

24. BrownGirl

BrownGirl Moderator And Queen of Summaries Staff Member

She'll be only just back from her hols and probably still unpacking all the couscous :D

DragonZest, eagleeye69 and Galadriel like this.
  25. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

I´m just now making Couscous. I could not find any navettes :Cry: Can you buy them in the UK ?