Tunisian law on Tunisian men marrying older foreign women in Tunisia

Discussion in 'Tunisian Family Law' started by OnlyMe, Aug 30, 2009.

1. OnlyMe

OnlyMe Guest

Hi All, I hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

My friend is a 65 year old female. She has a 25 year old Tunisian boyfriend. She met him in Tunisia on holiday in Tunisia and has been there 3 times in total. She wants to be with him. He wants to be with her.

He is telling her they cannot be together in Tunisia as there is a law which bans Tunisian men from marrying any foreigner who is more than 10 years older than them.

He is also telling her that there is a law that if Tunisian me have sexual relationships with foreign women who are 10 years or more older than them, that they can be put in prison if the police find out that they are a couple.

My question is this: Is there any truth that there is a law stopping Tunisian men from marrying foreign women 10 years or more older than them in Tunisia, or a law that stops Tunisian men from having a relationship (girlfriend) with a foreign women 10 years or more older than them in Tunisia?

Thanks

2. mezoo

mezoo The Decider

correct me if im wrong, no and no.
    probably a law banning sex out of marriage though, never seen it enforced if it exists.
    i smell a rat. :coffee:

Amira and Stina like this.
  3. TunisiaMoon

TunisiaMoon Guest

Hi Only me... it's Just me lol.

Sound like a pile of old bologne does that one! I have a few friends who are older by more than 10 years to their Tunisian HUSBANDS.
    The only problem they have come across is when their hubby applies for a visa to the country of the wife. Verifying their intentions etc etc. The application seems to be scrutinised more if the partner is many years older

They were all married in Tunisia too.

Sounds a bit ratty to me that one.

I'm not too sure on Tunisian law but there are a few people here that can point you in the right direction. TB where are you ??:w:

4. Tunisianbelle

Tunisianbelle 'Don't call me Darling!' Mod Staff Member

Hi Onlyme, welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to say, but your friend has caught herself a rat.:Rat2:

There is no law in Tunisia that forbids a man from marrying a woman (foreign or otherwise) who is 10 years older than him. There is no law that forbids a man from marrying a woman (foreign or otherwise) who is 99 years older than him.

There is a law that states couples who are unmarried may not engage in sexual intercourse, but that law applies to all Tunisians, no matter the age or if one partner is Tunisian or not. This law IS enforced, but usually only if it is brought to the attention of the authorities, and only if they can prove (catch them in the act, or the woman turns up pregnant) sexual intercourse occurred outside of the bonds of marriage.

I'm not saying whether it is right or wrong, but many couples do have sex before marriage and they have never been in any legal problems. That includes couples where the foreign woman is more than 10 years older than her Tunisian boyfriend.

My best advise is to tell your friend to end the relationship NOW. He is 100% lying to her, and since that is the case, he is most likely just using her for a visa. Sorry. :(

Amira and Stina like this.
  5. shepster1

shepster1 Member

silly question but if this guy wants a visa he would need to marry her - so why say they cannot do this:confused:

6. mezoo

mezoo The Decider

who said that ?

7. shepster1

shepster1 Member

well i thought that was the whole point of rats wanting marriage so quickly??

8. Tunisianbelle

Because (I'm guessing) he wants her to get him a fianc

9. shepster1

shepster1 Member

forgot aout the fiance visa! but i would assume these are even harder to get than marriage visas if authorities have a problem with the age gap?

10. Tunisianbelle

He may not understand how difficult it can be. And different countries have different laws. I know that the UK is difficult to get a visa for whether they are married or engaged.

I have a friend (American) who tried to get a visa for her (then) fianc

11. OnlyMe

OnlyMe Guest

Thanks for all the replies.

Just to enlarge on the situation, is it true that Tunisians, men in particular, are only allowed to leave Tunisia by the Tunisian government if they have substancial money in the bank or own property, i.e. they have something that will force them to come back to Tunisia for?

This is also one of the pearls of wisdom my friend has been told.

12. chefref

chefref Member

Hmm, lets see here... He says they can't get married (or at least it has to be a "secret" marriage) and he won't be able to leave the country to be with her unless he has (as in she buys him) a nice piece of land or a load of cash in the bank....hmmm....RAT!!! I'm new to this stuff, but that's one I haven't heard.

13. chefref

chefref Member

Sorry, didn't mean for that to sound harsh, but I don't see any other explanation. I think we may have found a new kind of rat, though. One that' s not after a visa or exit from the country. He's setting it up so that she will provide a nice dowry for him and a Tunisian girl, perhaps? If he's telling this woman that they can't be married and can't even let people know they're a couple and that she will have to provide him with property or money so that he can leave to visit her. Do you really think he's planning on leaving once he gets the assets he needs to marry a Tunisian woman?

I don't know how much you've read about these situations, Onlyme, but one thing I see over and over is that for men there it's very important to be able to provide for the new wife. A guy might be engaged for a really long time trying to save up enough money so that his fiancee's family will let them marry. Women from western countries don't expect that usually and most of us have been supporting ourselves besides! Older women, especially, since they've had time to build up pension and savings!!! This makes marrying a foreign woman an attractive proposition for some men, since they won't have to wait so long to get married.

That's not to say that there's no love in those marriages- there are many good ones on here and T.com. The point is, with all the above going on, I believe that if he really loved her and wanted to be with her, he would not have concocted such a crazy story. I think it also shows a tremendous lack of respect for her and her intelligence that he would think such a crazy tale would just be accepted and believed by her!!! I guess he's never heard of the internet (or according to this guy are single Tunisian men forbidden to use the internet, too?? lol)

Anyway, your friend is lucky to have a good friend like you to look out for her! :D

14. alAzima

alAzima Administrator & Voice of Reason Staff Member

Wow and holy crow!!!

As others have said, no there is no law regarding age restrictions of a Tunisian man marrying a foreign women or a Tunisian women.

Second does it sound to anyone else like this guy * might* already actually be married?? If he's already married he will not be able to marry again - then again if he's already married he can't do a fiance visa because his birth certificate states he's married. Either he's married and doing this as a money scam or as others have said, he has no intention of staying with her and he's just trying to get a fiance ( in his mind, easy ) visa to her country so he can run.

Also there is NO law that says Tunisian men must have money in the bank, property, etc to leave.

However, in order for a Tunisian man to get a TOURIST/ VISITOR visa to * some * countries it is required they have established themselves in Tunisia. This is usually if they have no ties to the foreign country. Say a Tunisian man wants to take a holiday to Disney World in the USA and he's 28 years old. He's NOT married to an American and he has no family in the USA. It's likely for them to grant him this visa, he's going to have to prove he has money in the bank, land, home, wife, children, SOMETHING in Tunisia worth coming back to and that he's not going to attempt to stay in the United States forever.

But this is NOT a Tunisian law. This is a requirement (?) for a tourist visa to some countries - I don't even know if that's the right way to word it. It's not really a requirement to submit the visa application and fee, but it may be something that really looks better on the person applying for the tourist visa.

Wow your friend definitely has herself a rat or a just incredibly retarded person????? :confused:

15. BellyDancer

BellyDancer Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome only me,:) i have been reading your post about your friend give her some advice and tell her she can be with him as often as she wants, tell her to get last minute flights over so he doesn't know when she is going, try and advice her NOT to give him any money for anything whatever the excuse may be, let him pay for everything himelf, even if he says his mother is ill and needs an operation :w: sorry to say but your friend has met and fallen for a BIG RAT some of us on here have been bitten by these animals, we can make jokes and sometimes laugh about the things they try to get away with, but at the end of the day they are playing with peoples feelings and feeding off them it's only a means to an end for some of them... these rats are not bothered about age, religion, nationality, they are only interested in money & visas and will do anything to get what they want including lying, stealing, cheating and breaking the law big time... support your friend be there for her and tell her to take care xx :)

16. maya

maya Member

Also there is NO law that says Tunisian men must have money in the bank, property, etc to leave.

it is indeed a requirement for a visa though, just as she says.
    For the rest, he sounds like a big fat rat to me.

and, sorry to say it but honestly, 25 and 65? only Madonna can pull that off.

17. ArabChick

ArabChick Spamtastic Member

18. maya

maya Member

I knew someone would comment on that remark but it's my opinion. I know I should be unprejudiced and politically correct by saying love has no limits blahdeeblah, and YES everyone is entitled to love, but I and many others would still have doubts, seeing a couple like that. And the couple should also think twice. Especially her being "white thus rich" and he being Tunisian.

19. the highlander

the highlander Well-Known Member

hello

hi there
    here i go again lol
    i agree with maya, when a person be it male or female finds love? with someone else and there is a 40 year age gap then questions have to be asked
    the reason i say this is it is not the way of the world or relationships
    we fall in "love" in many ways
    i mean i love my dog, my children, my partner, my mother, grandmother, brother, and sister and father
    BUT ALL IN A DIFFERENT WAY
    ask questions
    i can understand the older of the two feeling wonderful with the attention
    but why would a younger person (unless the love is more for caring)
    i am not aiming this at tunisia or male or female but all
    i would say the same thing if it was a 65 year old man with a 25 year old woman
    but ladies be honest if it was the latter then you all would be saying

gold digger
    sugar daddy
    dirty old man
    eye candy

i know this will ruffle a few feathers and for that i say sorry
    but i do believe that these relationships are doomed
    yes some will say "oh i know 1 that worked" but in general most fail

the highlander
    ps there was a post about a 16 year old girl and 23 year old man (tunisian) even there although there is not a large age difference i was shocked cause a 23 year old man should not be looking at that age group

Stina and Amira like this.
  20. WouldI

WouldI Guest

I am your fairy Godmother - your wish is my command! ::angel::

21. alAzima

I agree too. Just sticking my nose where it doesn't go LOL I don't believe that you have to marry someone your own age... but I have a hard time seeing what a 65 year old would have in common with a 25 year old. 25 and 35, 45 okay but I guess I'm just not sure how someone in the last years of their life can be married to someone who is just starting their life :confused: And I too would look for motives in a relationship with more than a 20 year age gap

22. TunisiaMoon

TunisiaMoon Guest

Sorry :(

Hi Only me... It's Just me again!

I'm so sorry if these replies aren't what you were looking for. Please don't let your friend be duped and taken in by this guy until she knows for sure what his intentions are.
    We are honest here and wouldn't give you false hope nor would we squish your friends dreams intentionally.
    The majority of us believe he's talking a load of old cow poo (me included).

Sorry hun. Tell your friend to tread very carefully and perhaps look in another direction as we really wouldnt want to see her on here in a few months naming and shaming....(unless you want to do it now:D)....nothing like the judge and jury here before he's even commited a crime hehe!!

23. alAzima

I guess we've cleared up her legal questions regarding a law on age limits for marriage ( not existing in Tunisia except that they both have to be over 18 ) and other falsehoods this " man" has told her friend.

But the question I would ask myself is would my 65 year old friend date or marry a 25 year old man in her country (wherever that is )

If the answer is no or probably not, I'd have to question why I'd ever consider doing that with a man in another country.

I think that if I was 65 I'd have worked hard all of my life and I'd be ready to relax with someone who had also paid their dues, lived their life and experiences and wanted to enjoy the " twilight years" together. JMO

24. Beansontoast

Beansontoast Moderator Staff Member

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!:mad:

He is a big fat stinking rat,he doesn,t want to marry her ,thats why he tells such far-fetched stories.He is hoping for money and that he will inherit before she pops her clogs!

Stina likes this.
  25. Beansontoast

Beansontoast Moderator Staff Member

Yes ,Hairy,I was online when she wrote her story.They are together 2 years...so she was 14 and he 21.That is really crass!