Tunisian News & Current Affairs

Galadriel

Globe Trotter Extraordinaire
First placed we ever stayed in Tunisia years ago. Good intro..

mezoo

The Decider
don't give a flying f*** about media freedom at all. tunisia needs "people freedom." the little guy gets left behind in all this media crap and can be corrupted at will by any government. and HAS in tunisia, just look at the past.

Galadriel

You don`t know what freedom your neighbour has if you don`t get read about it or hear about it through one type of media or another. The media just shouldn`t have the freedom to go beyond boundaries into personal private privacy though unless of course you are a politician then transparency is what it is all about !

Mona1

Doesn't the media mould the world in the way that the owners want it to be seen? Don't get me on to the impartiality of the media or the lack thereof.

Galadriel

"The Medium is the Message"....Marshall Mcluhan, Canadian Philosopher and Author, commentated on the media`s role in modern society many years ago. We are media lead and driven.....

Mona1

Two of my favourite quotes re the media:

News is what somebody somewhere wants to suppress all the rest is advertising. Lord North

and

The news isn't there to tell you what happened. It's there to tell you what it wants you to hear or what it thinks you want to hear. Jos Whedon

Mona1

Just spoke to a friend living in the South who said that there was a storm, yesterday, from the Sahara that brought more heat and sand storms. The temperatures are nearing 50 degrees C in the shade during the day. Makes me fell silly for being upset with all the rain we have had here.

Galadriel

So they were picked up by who during BA`s time ? by his police ! Prudent to think all police may not have all turned. Power feeds ego.

sparkle

Classy Bird
This thread is not the most viewed thread, but I think it is important to know what is going on in Tunisia especially for frequent travellers or those in relationships.
I know not everyone is a news junkie like me :eek::D but it is here to check out, as and when you like :D
Much appreciated :) x

Galadriel

This will take much reading and sorting, first thought is the message here is not as it first seems....back later when I can comprehend clearer....

Galadriel

Just like the Commons....:rolleyes: but maybe not as bad as the Greek politician:eek:

NetNiet

EVIL member :D
Water Shortages Lead to Clashes in Tunisia’s Southwest Region

Sana Ajmi | 10 July 2012 | 0 Comments
Facebook (0)Twitter (0) Google+LinkedIn (0)Email (0)
Print

Clashes erupted yesterday in Tunisia’s southwest region of Gafsa. Citizens tried to block the road between Gafsa and Gabes, and police eventually fired tear gas to disperse the protesters.
“People living in the region have been suffering from water shortages for a month now,” said Hedi Radhaoui, a journalist living in Gafsa.
“During the last month, water access has been cut off a couple of times a day, but in the last few days people did not have any water access at all, which becomes more difficult as the heat increases. People could not find any water to drink, to cook, or even to shower,” said Radhaoui.
Radhaoui added that the distribution of water is affected by a phosphate company in Gafsa, which uses most of the region’s water. The distribution of water is also affected by routine electricity cuts.
Kalaii Labidi, president of SONEDE (Société nationale d’exploitation et de distribution des eaux) in Gafsa, said that Gafsa now has water, but many regions still do not. “Areas like Mdhila do not have any water access for now, but we are working really hard to solve this issue,” he stated.
Labidi explained the reasons behind the absence of water. “We have been suffering from a lack of rain for years, that’s why water tanks do not have enough water anymore,” said Labidi.
He added that three wells are under construction to solve this issue. ”One of them will be done in a month, the other two are still under construction,” he said.
According to Shems FM, water distribution in Nabeul, Sousse, Monastir, Mahdia, and Sfax might be interrupted in the upcoming days.
http://www.tunisia-live.net/2012/07/10/water-shortages-lead-to-clashes-in-tunisias-southwest-region/
I don't understand why the government isn't interfering to help sooner, now it's the water, before it was due of snow about gaz bottles and all kind of other things, in that kind of situations they need to send trucks with whatever people need, send now trucks with water to help those people!

NetNiet

EVIL member :D
Migrants die of thirst off N African coast
It's a dramatic experience for the refugees and for the fishermen!
Libya is still not safe at all and especially not for persons with for excample the Nationality Eritrea like the persons on this boat.

Galadriel

Think we all see a little of the magic here, it`s a beautiful village. Great article......

Galadriel

Was looking to see if this was an old story, can`t believe it`s happening all over again.....:rolleyes:

marilyna

Chocolate Connoisseur
I wonder whether it will now become a regular thing. It is clear that they want to leave for what they think is a better life, but could not do this during Ben Ali's time.

Top Bottom