Tunisian News & Current Affairs

Discussion in 'Tunisian News & Current Events' started by Bergo, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

It does not say in which home the bomb was made ;)

2. Mango Chutney

Mango Chutney Well-Known Member

No....that it doesn't :thumbsup:
    Would your clothes not smell nastier than usual though? :confused:
    I know GFTL said they'd caught another one....but I've never seen it mentioned anywhere else...have they hidden that?

juicyfruit and AmberHeart like this.
  3. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

I found that in a german news paper from two days ago

Immediately after the explosion, security forces detained the city center and prevented journalists from reporting. Policemen arrested several terror suspects, including a man hiding under a niqab.

http://www.taz.de/Anschlag-in-Tunesien/!5547302/

but then, it might have been just a transvestite ;)

4. Brasilgirl

Brasilgirl Well-Known Member

I think most bombs are home made. It’s not something you order online. But they need the ingredients and knowledge. A girl who wanted to die would likely kill herself by more conventional method. She tried to kill police. It’s obvious she was on a mission. Her counterparts got stopped somehow. Maybe their targets were not where they thought they would be? Who knows? But it was terrorism. I have no doubt.

5. Brasilgirl

Brasilgirl Well-Known Member

Hahaha. Nah. They already just walk around pretending to be men in men’s bodies. But hey - Help! Send money for my sex change surgery! . :D

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  6. MaterialGirl

MaterialGirl Well-Known Member

Holy cow!! Too early for me! I'm in tears!! Hahahahaha!

7. Jisela

Jisela Well-Known Member

A sixteen-year-old writer challenges her home country’s insistence that a woman’s worth be determined by her marital status...

Ever since I can remember, I’ve heard this strange expression, “Inchallah Farhtek” in the Tunisian dialect. Growing up, I never understood its meaning. Back then, my mom told me that it was a great wish.

As I grew up, I began to understand the meaning of this phrase and its function within a sexist culture. Fortunately, I was raised by a feminist mother, who didn’t educate me based on traditional, sexist stereotypes, unlike many Tunisian mothers. Most Tunisian girls are told to act like “girls,” to wear pink clothes, to play with dolls, to grow their hair long, to do household chores—all stereotypically feminine qualities.

Epiphany, Liona, Heidi and 1 other person like this.
  8. Jisela

Jisela Well-Known Member

9. Mango Chutney

Good for them!! :love:

Brasilgirl, Liona and Jisela like this.
  10. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

Interesting:

As they age, women’s chances of getting married lessen. In their thirties, women are considered “expired.” :coffee:

Quote: "Because this study was based on direct statements by women, many of them tended to give answers that value themselves. In other words, few single women would admit that they’re not satisfied with their current status."

11. Jisela

Jisela Well-Known Member

Yes, EXPIRED BY 30 YEARS OLD! These girls are treated worse than fruit at Carefour by sadistic perverts controlling their society. They're destroying innocent girls. This has to stop.

12. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

So older victims of a Tunisian Love rat should wake up. "Age is just a number" is a lie :whistle:

Brasilgirl, Liona, AmberHeart and 3 others like this.
  13. Jisela

Jisela Well-Known Member

I'm almost 40! That means I'm practically DEAD!
    Which is GREAT, because I'm RIPE LIKE A ZOMBIE to handle anything Tunisian, now.
    In whatever way possible as a citizen of a democratic country,
    I will ALWAYS speak about the nightmare life Tunisian women face,
    and the brutality of Tunisian rats.
    I talk a lot, too :love:

tipme, Brasilgirl, Beverley and 5 others like this.
  14. AmberHeart

AmberHeart Lady Amberheart of Gafsa

Age is just a number when they are hooking up, once they got you then they say you are not young there are lots of younger and prettier....

Beverley, Mango Chutney and Jisela like this.
  15. Jisela

Jisela Well-Known Member

You know, I just realized a good defensive tactic against rats... adding 10 or 20 years to your age and listing yourself as living in Tunisia on Facebook. Lol!

Brasilgirl, AmberHeart and Liona like this.
  16. Mango Chutney

It wouldn't put them off though. They'd play the 'Age is just a number' card with more frequency....and think you were fair game, living there with a foreign pension or savings....and the deluded belief that with time, they'd be able to convince you it is a much better idea to live in your country :thumbsup:

Heidi, Brasilgirl, Beverley and 2 others like this.
  17. Jisela

Jisela Well-Known Member

Yeah... your right :(

AmberHeart likes this.
  18. Liona

Liona Well-Known Member

Could you just imagine how much your not Tunisian friends will be surprised.:D:D:D

I personally witnessed this many times. And it was not only in Tunisia.

Mango Chutney and AmberHeart like this.
  19. Mango Chutney

:D:D:D

We can see through and predict their behaviours better than they can :thumbsup:
    Hahaha.....ya...they'd be a few shocked folk out there! :D:D

They'd be after the secret of our having such youthful looks.....whilst having one foot in the grave :D

Jisela, Beverley, Liona and 1 other person like this.
  20. Mango Chutney

Just seems to be the norm now. This new extension will take it to over three years.....think I'll be more shocked once it's lifted, than I am to see it extended again.

Tunisia extends state of emergency for
    additional month.

November 7, 2018 at 5:49 am | Published in: Africa, News, Tunisia
    [​IMG]
    Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi speaks at a press conference in Tunis, Tunisia on 27 December 2017 [Yassine Gaidi/Anadolu Agency]

November 7, 2018 at 5:49 am

Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi has decided to extend the countrywide state of emergency for an additional month starting 7 November, the presidency announced yesterday.

“Following consultations on the country’s security situation with the Prime Minister Youssef Chahed and the President of the People’s Representatives Assembly Mohamed Ennaceur, the president decided to extend the state of emergency throughout the country for one more month,” the presidency statement read.

The state of emergency was first imposed in Tunisia on 24 November 2015, following a bloody bomb attack which targeted a bus of the presidential guard, leaving 12 dead. Since then, the state of emergency in Tunisia has been extended many times.

The last extension, which lasted for a month, was imposed on 8 October.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20181107-tunisia-extends-state-of-emergency-for-additional-month/

Masha, Jisela, Liona and 2 others like this.
  21. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

I wonder what the criteria for a monthly extension are. What can get accomplished in one month :confused:

Lovelylondon and Mango Chutney like this.
  22. Laura2014

Laura2014 Well-Known Member

I don’t even know what a SOE is there, does it mean the army patrols the street or stop and search is more prevelant?

23. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

Tunisia
    According to a recent World Bank study, the state holds 50‑100% of the markets in gas and electricity, bus, rail and air transport, water, sanitation and fixed-line telecommunications. The big three state banks, Société tunisienne de banque, Banque nationale agricole and Banque de l'habitat, account for 40% of banking assets and over half of banking transactions. SOEs have a dominant role in the production, import and distribution of goods such as cereals, vegetable oil, sugar, meat, tea, coffee, pharmaceuticals, oil and gas. Tunisia's biggest company by turnover, Société tunisienne des industries de raffinage, an oil refiner, is a majority SOE, as are another six of the top ten biggest firms: Société tunisienne de l'électricité et du gaz, a gas and electricity utility; Groupe chimique, a fertiliser producer; Entreprise tunisienne d'activités pétrolières, an oil and gas producer; Tunisie Télécom; Société nationale de distribution des pétroles, a pipeline operator; and Tunisair, the national carrier. Other SOEs in the top 20 biggest firms include a pharmaceuticals importer and distributor, a tobacco distributor, a shipping firm and an airport operator. The state also owns many small enterprises, including hotels, restaurants, golf courses and farms.

Masha likes this.
  24. Mango Chutney

Pretty much, yeah. It gives the military and police the right to stop gatherings, preventing those violent protests and to do stop and search type thingys.
    I dare say there's probably a lot more to it than that too.

25. Laura2014

Laura2014 Well-Known Member

I’m sure it’s more to do with preventing gatherings and demonstrations. From what I have read prices are escalating out of control and many basic things have doubled in price. There’s a lot of discontent with the government and lack of progress and job opportunities. It’s a vicious circle instability prevents many countries from investing there. Lack of training means they don’t have a skilled workforce and I guess a poor infrastructure makes it very unreliable.

Masha, Brasilgirl, AmberHeart and 2 others like this.