Tunisian News & Current Affairs

Discussion in 'Tunisian News & Current Events' started by Bergo, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Mango Chutney

Mango Chutney Well-Known Member

Very lame....but a start...and more than most have got :)

Judithlyn, Jisela, AmberHeart and 3 others like this.
  2. Brasilgirl

Brasilgirl Well-Known Member

It seems lame, but for a government to make mention of these things on an advisory is pretty big.
    It’s a travel advisory and it doesn’t need to elaborate. It is including all of Tunisia.
    If I see this kind of advisory, I do not go to that country. The risk of terrorist attracts is enough for me. But anytime they say ‘Beware’ it means it’s not good to get involved and to stay away. It gives me the impression I would be harassed by young men seducing me if I went there, and they are not nice young men. (Now I would say they are Rats, but a year ago, I still would have thought them to be some kind of theif based on the comment) For this to be mentioned in an advisory, I would assume that it is a big problem. It definatly would make me dig deeper on the subject if I was planning a trip there.
    But then that is just how I am.

3. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

"Beware of young Tunisians who try to seduce you" This might sound promising to some people ;)

Judithlyn and Masha like this.
  4. Snuggle

Snuggle Well-Known Member

Misbruik van liefdesrelaties
    Sommige jonge Tunesiërs proberen Europese (vaak oudere) vrouwen te verleiden. Vooral in clubs en toeristische hotels. Deze mannen zijn vaak van eenvoudige afkomst. Door liefdesverklaringen proberen ze soms een financieel voordeel te krijgen. In andere gevallen proberen ze de vrouwen tot een huwelijk te overtuigen. Zij hopen op die manier een verblijfsvergunning voor Nederland te krijgen.

Het is volgens Tunesische traditie absoluut niet de gewoonte te huwen met een vrouw die ouder is dan de man. Wees daarom voorzichtig en denk goed na wanneer u een liefdesrelatie aanknoopt.

Translation:
    Beware of relationships
    Some young Tunisians are trying to seduce (many times older) women. Especially in clubs and hotels. These man are often with a poor uneducated background. With nice lovely words they try to gain financially. And in other case they try to convince women to get married. This to obtain a visa.

It’s traditionally not common to get married to an older woman in Tunisia. Please be aware when getting in a love relationship.

Judithlyn, magic, jelly22 and 9 others like this.
  5. Mango Chutney

I think this is great! Wish they'd all do it! :thumbsup:

6. Laura2014

Laura2014 Well-Known Member

It’s a start. More than many do.

Brasilgirl, Heidi, Masha and 2 others like this.
  7. Mango Chutney

Tunisia convicts dozens of jihadists over teen beheading
    By AFP

PUBLISHED: 17:53, 9 January 2019 | UPDATED: 17:53, 9 January 2019

A Tunisian court has convicted dozens of jihadists over the 2015 murder of a teenage shepherd, but the vast majority remain on the run, a prosecution spokesman said Wednesday.

Mabrouk Soltani, 17, was beheaded as his sheep grazed on Mount Mghilla in central west Tunisia.

The details of the murder sparked outrage, with the victim's cousin forced to watch and carry his head to the family home.

A total of 49 people were convicted on Tuesday over the murder, including 45 in absentia, the prosecutor's spokesman Sofiene Sliti said.

Four were sentenced to death, one of whom is in custody, while the others were sentenced to between 15 and 36 years in prison.

Tunisian courts continue to issue death sentences despite no executions being carried out since 1991.

Those convicted over Soltani's killing were prosecuted under Tunisia's 2015 anti-terror legislation.

The murder was claimed by the Tunisian branch of the Islamic State group, Jund al-Khilafa, in a video which showed the killing.

Two years later, Soltani's brother Khalifa was abducted and killed in the same area, in an attack also claimed by IS.

The mountainous area near the Algerian border is also a stronghold of the Al-Qaeda-linked Okba Ibn Nafaa Battalion.

Since its 2011 revolution, Tunisia has experienced an increase in jihadist attacks that have killed dozens of members of the security forces and at least 59 foreign tourists.

The country has been under a state of emergency since November 2015, when an IS-claimed suicide bombing in Tunis killed 12 presidential guards.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/a...convicts-dozens-jihadists-teen-beheading.html

8. Mango Chutney

These terrorists find any way to get into our countries, be it illegal or via scam marriage.
    Those that come illegally need permanent stay: Asylum or marriage within the country....so you will be beznessed from within your own home country.

MIDDLE EAST & NORTH AFRICA
    JANUARY 9, 2019 / 11:51 AM / UPDATED 9 HOURS AGO
    Italy breaks up smuggling ring run by Islamic State sympathiser

PALERMO, Italy (Reuters) - Italian police seized eight men on Wednesday behind a speedboat smuggling ring that ran people, including possible jihadists, to Sicily from Tunisia, investigators said.

Operations were headed by a Tunisian man who used his Facebook account to spread Islamic State (IS) propaganda, they said. He remains at large and is wanted for inciting terrorism.

The paramilitary Carabinieri’s early morning sweep netted two Italians, with the rest mainly Tunisian.

As well as the IS promoter, six others, again mainly Tunisian, are sought for arrest on suspicion of people smuggling and trafficking in illegal cigarettes.

The group was “a real and concrete threat to national security because it was able to offer many irregular migrants a secret sea passage that was safe and fast,” the arrest warrant said.

The route to Sicily “was particularly attractive to subjects sought by Tunisian law enforcement for past crimes or because suspected to be connected to religiously motivated terrorist groups,” it added.

The investigation began in 2016 after a Tunisian man held in an Italian prison offered information saying he wanted to protect Italy from “an army of kamikazes”, the warrant said.

Using speed boats, the smugglers reached the southwest coast of Sicily within three-and-a-half hours carrying a handful of migrants and often other contraband, like cigarettes or hashish, according to testimony from the turncoat.

Police documented five smuggling trips, but many others are suspected to have taken place, one investigator said, because they were discussed in intercepted telephone conversations.

Italy’s Interior Minister Matteo Salvini lauded the operation on Twitter: “People smugglers and terrorists - stay home!!!”

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-i...amic-state-sympathiser-idUKKCN1P316S?rpc=401&

9. Laura2014

Laura2014 Well-Known Member

I didn’t know about the young shepherd boys brother who was kidnapped and murdered two years after his young brother was murdered. How utterly cruel and desperate for their parents and for the poor young cousin who will be traumatised for life. Barbarism found new depths.

10. Mango Chutney

I didn't know either, Laura.....and I felt exactly as you do.
    The thought of losing one of my boys kills me, but two....and in such a cruel and terrifying way....I don't know how I'd continue to live :Cry:
    It's hard to find words for how gutted I felt when I realised there was a brother too.....those poor parents :(
    I just don't understand, I really don't :Cry:

Judithlyn, jelly22, Jisela and 3 others like this.
  11. magic

magic Well-Known Member

Why did they kill this particular boy?

AmberHeart and Brasilgirl like this.
  12. Mango Chutney

I don't know, I can't remember what was going on.
    I only knew about the first one because I was living there and it was all over the news, but in Arabic, so dickhead explained what was going on. I don't recall him explaining why though :confused:
    The second one....I didn't even know had happened, but to do that to two lads from the same family tells me that somehow, in the deranged head of a terrorist, they've linked the two to something.

Judithlyn, magic, Jisela and 2 others like this.
  13. Mango Chutney

Tunisia Raises Security Alert Level on Borders following US Warning

Friday, 11 January, 2019 - 07:45

[​IMG]
    Tourist police officers patrol the beach in Hammamet, Tunisia.
    Tunis - Al Munji Al-Saidani
    The Tunisian army and security forces have increased security alert level to the maximum on borders with Libya and Algeria, days after the US Department of State warned US citizens to avoid travel to Tunisia due to increased risk of terrorist attacks against foreign and domestic targets in the country.

Tunisia's high security and military presence at 11 border crossings shows seriousness in dealing with the US warning.

Terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in Tunisia. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, museums, resorts, hotels, festivals, nightclubs, restaurants, religious sites, markets/shopping malls, government facilities, and security forces, according to the US warning.

Interior Minister Hichem Fourati belittled the US warning saying that “these warnings do not only concern Tunisia but rather involve all the countries of the world”.

“Many European countries, including Great Britain, have already eased their restrictions on travel to Tunisia, which they have sent to their nationals, thereby recovering many of the traditional destinations on the Tunisian tourist market,” the minister said.

According to Tunisian military sources, some terror suspects confessed that a terrorist group called "Ahrar al-Janoub" (Free South) is plotting terrorist attacks starting from the south. The interior ministry revealed that it has been following four terrorist members of this group.

Tunisia commenced at the beginning of 2019 the implementation of a new security plan to combat terrorism. It primarily depends on attacking terrorist members suddenly in mountain regions and running ahead their suspicious movements.

This plan began in Kasserine and will gradually reach other states along the western border.

https://aawsat.com/english/home/art...rity-alert-level-borders-following-us-warning

14. AmberHeart

AmberHeart Lady Amberheart of Gafsa

I
    If memory doesn’t fail, they thought these boys were spies and informing about their Radical activities.

Mango Chutney and Brasilgirl like this.
  15. AmberHeart

:eek: Oh my.

16. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

Specific Areas to Avoid:

Embassy Tunis regulations require advance notification to Embassy security officials of travel by Embassy personnel outside greater Tunis. Certain cities and governorates in Tunisia have a fluid and unpredictable security environment, and these areas require additional scrutiny before U.S. government personnel may travel to them. U.S. citizens should avoid the following areas due to terrorist activity:

• Within 30 km of southeastern Tunisia along the border with Libya.
    • Mountainous areas in the country’s west, including the Chaambi Mountain National Park area.
    • Jendouba south of Ain Drahem and west of RN15, El Kef, and Kasserine, next to the Algerian border.
    • Gafsa and Sidi Bou Zid in central Tunisia.
    https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Tunisia.html

Judithlyn, AmberHeart, Jisela and 2 others like this.
  17. RatSnatcher

RatSnatcher Well-Known Member

And all I see is Tunisia worried about their tourist dollars. Even after a warning, they deflect and attempt to downplay the fact that this is very much real. Just sickening. :rolleyes:

I'm a US citizen and if our US soldiers wont visit this country, I'm not either. Thats enough for me to say, no. Even with it being cheap to fly there, they still cant or wont go. Why would I put myself in danger when trained professionals wont even do it.

Then to top it off, the minister belittled the decision. That tells me all I need to know. They can have The Avengers as their guards and security detail, I ain't going . You can't fight hopeless people. They have nothing to lose.

Judithlyn, Jisela, Brasilgirl and 3 others like this.
  18. juicyfruit

juicyfruit Well-Known Member

But they were only shepherds...:(

19. Mango Chutney

The two girls in Morocco were just tourists, most of those killed in the Manchester attacks were just children, the Presidential Guards on the blown up bus in Tunis were family men working for a living, the tourists on the beach in Sousse were majority older people....a terrorist doesn't care, doesn't differentiate, does not think rationally.....he/she will kill whoever it takes for media headlines that promote their cause.

Judithlyn, Jisela, jelly22 and 4 others like this.
  20. AmberHeart

Exactly those crazy guys were sure they were telling info about them and their evil planning. They were shepherds and teenagers :Cry:

Judithlyn and Jisela like this.
  21. juicyfruit

They are evil personified:mad:....

22. juicyfruit

how do you deprogram that mentality? :confused:

Judithlyn and Jisela like this.
  23. juicyfruit

how do they come back from that? I don't think they can..:confused:

Jisela, AmberHeart and Brasilgirl like this.
  24. Mango Chutney

You can't, in my opinion. They are radicalised, they are not like normal people, be they Christian, Muslim, Jewish etc.
    Look at the IRA....how do we justify their attacks? We can't....they were brainwashed by their cause.....they believed in their cause, and in my mind, all these programmes to de-radicalise a terrorist is pointless....their cause sits in their hearts, it is their belief.

25. Brasilgirl

Brasilgirl Well-Known Member

They kill who ever or wherever they can get the biggest news headline. It’s all about coverage and impact to the people. They don’t care about who they kill, only how the killing serves them. It’s pure evil.