Tunisian News & Current Affairs

Judithlyn

let me tell you something, i'm tunisian born myself. why dont i go there anymore? only for emergencies? because of what you said and you are 100% true.
99.99% of them are scammers, at the airport, custom borders try to fool you by making you pay borders fees, you take a taxi and he charges you 20 times the price, you buy something and its scam, you talk to someone and he try to rub you etc..

this this one of the reasons when people talk to me, they tend to be cautious because of what they've seen in the scummy country, and i understand them 100%
Thank you for your words. I truly feel bad for the good people of Tunisia. It’s really sad that a lying, cheating bunch of con artists are ruining the country for everybody!

Mango Chutney

Administrator
Staff member
Keeping us up to date:

Tunisia extends state of emergency by one month
Declared in November 2015 after attack

03 JUNE, 17:17

(ANSAmed) - TUNIS, JUNE 3 - Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi has extended the national state of emergency by one month, starting June 5, said the president's office in a statement.

Essebsi made the decision following a consultation with Tunisian Prime Minister Youssef Chahed and Parliament Speaker Mohamed Ennaceur.

The meeting was also a chance to examine the national security situation, as well as regional and international developments and their impact on interior security.

Essebsi initially declared the national state of emergency following the terrorist attack on November 24, 2015 on buses transporting the presidential guard in the centre of Tunis, and it has been continually extended since that time.(ANSAmed).

http://www.ansamed.info/ansamed/en/news/sections/generalnews/2019/06/03/tunisia-extends-state-of-emergency-by-one-month_424fb604-21e5-4b0e-92e4-3cc3478291b5.html

Judithlyn

Keeping us up to date:

Tunisia extends state of emergency by one month
Declared in November 2015 after attack

03 JUNE, 17:17

(ANSAmed) - TUNIS, JUNE 3 - Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi has extended the national state of emergency by one month, starting June 5, said the president's office in a statement.

Essebsi made the decision following a consultation with Tunisian Prime Minister Youssef Chahed and Parliament Speaker Mohamed Ennaceur.

The meeting was also a chance to examine the national security situation, as well as regional and international developments and their impact on interior security.

Essebsi initially declared the national state of emergency following the terrorist attack on November 24, 2015 on buses transporting the presidential guard in the centre of Tunis, and it has been continually extended since that time.(ANSAmed).

http://www.ansamed.info/ansamed/en/news/sections/generalnews/2019/06/03/tunisia-extends-state-of-emergency-by-one-month_424fb604-21e5-4b0e-92e4-3cc3478291b5.html
I just felt by stomach knot up reading this. I was standing in the exact spot where he blew up that bus....only 2 days earlier...Nov. 22, 2015! :Cry:I left out of the Tunis Airport on Nov. 23. On Nov. 24, all airports were closed, 8PM curfew. I would have been stuck for maybe one week! Scary! :(

Mango Chutney

Administrator
Staff member
Travel warning. This applies to other countries too, as can be seen in the link, but here, Tunisia is the focus:

"Holidaymakers to some of the most popular destinations for UK travellers have been issued with advice and warnings by the Foreign Office."

"Tunisia
Another one with bags of history and great weather, Tunisia also has some areas you should avoid.

• No go areas
  • Terrorism
A state of emergency is in effect in Tunisia, imposed after a suicide attack on a police bus on 24 November 2015. It’s been extended a number of times, most recently on 6 April 2019 by one month."

"Since the terrorist attack in Sousse in June 2015, which targeted tourists, the UK government has been working closely with the Tunisian authorities to investigate the attack and the wider threat from terrorist groups. The Tunisian government has improved protective security in major cities and tourist resorts.

• Homosexuality
A 99% Islamic country, homosexuality is a criminal offence in Tunisia. You can see specific advice from FCO here ."

The travel warning has been issued again since April 6th, and is still in place now.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/uk-world-news/travel-warnings-people-going-spain-2959991

Mango Chutney

Administrator
Staff member

AmberHeart

Lady Amberheart of Gafsa

Mango Chutney

Administrator
Staff member
Holy moly...this is the attempted terrorist attack I've mentioned a few times! I was in there just prior to the attempt, just as myself and @Judithlyn were both near where the terrorist attack on the bus full of presidential guards took place....I still find it a funny little coincidence that myself and Judith were in the same place at the same time....but didn't know :)
When this attempt took place, and for days following, it was all over Tunisian TV.....but this is the first time I've seen it mentioned elsewhere!
Can't believe it took so long to sentence him. If that attack had been successful.....it would have killed on a mass scale. What really gets me though, is it's not really a touristy place....they were attempting to kill their own people!

Tunisia Sentences Man to 8 Years in Prison on Terrorism Charges

Thursday, 25 October, 2018 - 12:00

A general view shows the construction of a bridge in Tunis, Tunisia, May 16, 2016. (Reuters/Zoubeir Souissi)
Tunisia- Al Munji Al Saidani
A Tunisian court sentenced a citizen to eight years in prison and another for two years.

The court of first instance charged Nessim al-Hafsi with planning a terrorist attack in the Tunisian capital, Tunis, specifically targeting a shopping center. He was accused of joining a terrorist organization inside Tunisian territory and praising terrorism.

Security research began with the defendant in 2015 after the counter-terrorism units found out that Hafsi had set up several pages on social media and was in contact with terrorists belonging to Jund al-Khilafah battalion located in al-Kef mountains, north-west of Tunisia. The terrorist group included Algerian terrorist Ayman al-Wahrani and Tunisian Saif al-Din al-Jamali, dubbed Abu al-Qaaqaa.

According to the security investigations, the defendant was the media wing of Jund al-Khilafah terrorist battalion and was working to attract young people and facilitate their involvement in terrorist organizations.

Investigations revealed that Hafsi planned to carry out a terrorist attack in the center of the capital inside a huge shopping complex by detonating himself with an explosive belt, which would have caused a massacre.

Counter-terrorism units also revealed the involvement of the terrorist in the targeting of the US consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi. He also joined al-Faruq, a terrorist military battalion located in the city of Misrata and active in Libyan territory.

It was also found that Hafsi traveled to Derna, Libya, where he received military and physical training and specialized in making explosives and how to use weapons.

* Forgot to add the link: https://aawsat.com/english/home/article/1437621/tunisia-sentences-man-8-years-prison-terrorism-charges
@Etoyoc.....found it!! I knew I’d put it here somewhere. I only knew because I was still living there when it happened....the Tunisian news channels were covering it full on for days.....but nothing was shown anywhere else.

Etoyoc

@Etoyoc.....found it!! I knew I’d put it here somewhere. I only knew because I was still living there when it happened....the Tunisian news channels were covering it full on for days.....but nothing was shown anywhere else.
I see - this source is indeed the only one I can currently find as well.

I thought, though, you meant an actual terror attack that happened, because there have been umpteen (umphundred actually) of suspiciouns, accuses and sentencings of such individuals. Not to forget the hundreds of Tunisians who went to Syria and returned (or not). :)

Femme Fatale

I thought, though, you meant an actual terror attack that happened, because there have been umpteen (umphundred actually) of suspiciouns, accuses and sentencings of such individuals. Not to forget the hundreds of Tunisians who went to Syria and returned (or not). :)
Are you Tunisian? I’m assuming so. I might need to pick your brain about something my rat said.

Mango Chutney

Administrator
Staff member

No, I have always repeatedly referred to it as attempted. The bomb was posted into the building via a toilet window, there were thought to be two men involved. The main man was a cleaner or something in the mall, he got the bomb in by handing it to an accomplice through the window, then went through the regular security checks to enter the mall....and phoned his mother to say goodbye.....it was she dobbed him in after the call...and saved hundreds of lives, as that place was always heaving, mostly with Tunisian youth....the death toll would have been horrific....and mainly Tunisian.

Yes, I follow Tunisian news closely, anything useful is put on this site as part of my rat trapping duties.....so I am aware of the high volume of retuning jihadists roaming Tunisia’s streets....I’ve posted links to this stuff on this thread, and on another thread called TUI.

Etoyoc

Judithlyn

Two suicide bombers today on the Main Street in Tunis! I can’t spell it’s name! Tunisia is NOT safe. It’s even worse than when I was there! Travel agencies need to stop going there! Tourists need to stop going there! They depend on tourism! When the tourism money dries up, they will do something! They need to stop these Bezness fraudster prostitutes first thing! The danger to everybody’s health is truly a potential mass disaster! They will do anything with anybody from anywhere and without protection! Just think of the potential repercussions from that.....all over the world! It truly terrifies me!

Top Bottom