UK Foreign Office warning AGAIN!!!!

Megane

In todays news the Foreign Office are warning Brits to be extra vigilant this summer if travelling to Tunisia. With terrorist threats now increasing they are again on high alert particularly in the tourist areas and anything aimed at westerners (shops etc.)

Who wants to go on holiday to be constantly looking over their shoulder and fearing the worst, worrying about their safety. Why not just shut down travel as we did in 2015 but for good this time. There are plenty of nice countries that people can holiday in and this threat in Tunisia is NEVER going to change, their hatred towards tourists and other nationalities is on intensifying as their living standards worsen. It would save so many people getting scammed/hurt and losing so much (financially and mentally) to these scumbags as their need to flee their country gets more desperate.

Judithlyn

Senior Rat Expert
In todays news the Foreign Office are warning Brits to be extra vigilant this summer if travelling to Tunisia. With terrorist threats now increasing they are again on high alert particularly in the tourist areas and anything aimed at westerners (shops etc.)

Who wants to go on holiday to be constantly looking over their shoulder and fearing the worst, worrying about their safety. Why not just shut down travel as we did in 2015 but for good this time. There are plenty of nice countries that people can holiday in and this threat in Tunisia is NEVER going to change, their hatred towards tourists and other nationalities is on intensifying as their living standards worsen. It would save so many people getting scammed/hurt and losing so much (financially and mentally) to these scumbags as their need to flee their country gets more desperate.
The USA Embassy was closed on July 1st, except for emergencies, due to the continuous terrorist suicide bombings in Tunis! It’s VERY UNSAFE now. In 2015, I was standing in the exact spot only 2 days earlier.....where the terrorist jumped on board the Presidential bus and blew himself up, killing many of the officers and guards!

I have always gone to Tunisia without feeling scared or worried , I have always felt safe there regardless of past terrorist attacks or attacks that has happened when I have been there but obviously I wasn't at the exact places when it's happened so that's probably why I havnt felt the fear
This time though watching everything unfold this past week I have a terrible feeling something big will happen . Of course terrorist attacks can happen anywhere at anytime but looking at previous patterns of attacks there it's making me worry about what is next .
Yes changes to security have been made and that's very obvious to see when I have been there but I also have to ask myself can we really trust Tunisian security forces in the event a bigger attack was to happen .
Rats or not without the sheer bravery of the hotel workers/ shop workers the sousse attack would of been far far worse .
No money going into Tunisia pretty much all is quiet ,now money going back into Tunisia and the dinar has now risen it's all kicking off . I do think this is a political game but with innocent people paying the price for it .
I for one will not be going back anytime in the summer and I know several other wives won't be too . Don't go people it's not worth it !!

Megane

I have always gone to Tunisia without feeling scared or worried , I have always felt safe there regardless of past terrorist attacks or attacks that has happened when I have been there but obviously I wasn't at the exact places when it's happened so that's probably why I havnt felt the fear
This time though watching everything unfold this past week I have a terrible feeling something big will happen . Of course terrorist attacks can happen anywhere at anytime but looking at previous patterns of attacks there it's making me worry about what is next .
Yes changes to security have been made and that's very obvious to see when I have been there but I also have to ask myself can we really trust Tunisian security forces in the event a bigger attack was to happen .
Rats or not without the sheer bravery of the hotel workers/ shop workers the sousse attack would of been far far worse .
No money going into Tunisia pretty much all is quiet ,now money going back into Tunisia and the dinar has now risen it's all kicking off . I do think this is a political game but with innocent people paying the price for it .
I for one will not be going back anytime in the summer and I know several other wives won't be too . Don't go people it's not worth it !!
I haven't been for over a year and have no reason to return but as you say looking at what's happening I get a gut feeling that something big is going to happen and soon. People are saying that went they went on holiday the people of Tunisia weren't friendly or warm towards them and I never found this to be the case previously. I really think that no matter how cheap the package deal might be you can't put a price on your families safety and people should pay that little bit more and visit a different country.

But the deals are not really cheap as such I can go to the canaries or Balearic isles cheaper .
The Tunisians are very friendly I have never encountered anything other with exception to 3 situations , I have however encountered the British being vile and thinking we are superior to them .
I want to be wrong that nothing will happen but my gut is saying another .
If people want a beach holiday then there is a whole world out there it's not worth the risk in light of this past week .
Less than 6 months of the brits going back and look what is happening .

Brasilgirl

Senior Rat Expert
But the deals are not really cheap as such I can go to the canaries or Balearic isles cheaper .
The Tunisians are very friendly I have never encountered anything other with exception to 3 situations , I have however encountered the British being vile and thinking we are superior to them .
I want to be wrong that nothing will happen but my gut is saying another .
If people want a beach holiday then there is a whole world out there it's not worth the risk in light of this past week .
Less than 6 months of the brits going back and look what is happening .
Has it only been less than six months?

Brasilgirl

Senior Rat Expert
Just had a look started feb 2018 but no packages into sousse and only selected hotels
I knew they opened some hotels in 2018. That’s when I was looking to go. But I didn’t know when the British were going back. I don’t see advertisements for Tunisia here. We get the South Pacific, Hawaii, Thailand, Bali, etc. Maybe some Egypt and Europe, Greece. But I had not even heard of Tunisia before I met the rat online.

Mango Chutney

Staff member
I have always gone to Tunisia without feeling scared or worried , I have always felt safe there regardless of past terrorist attacks or attacks that has happened when I have been there
I did too.....I always felt safe while I was there (except from he that promised I was safe). The only time I felt a little on edge, was after the FO advice after Sousse...to hide anything on me that identified me as British, a passport, clothing etc, not to speak loudly in English in public, not to have bank cards etc in public.....this advise put me on edge, but only fleetingly.

It was only after I left and started following Tunisian news and current affairs that I became afraid.....I had no idea that the pot I was living in had been so close to boiling over....and it frightened me.

Things are close to real boiling point there now, so much stuff doesn’t make our news, so much is relatively hidden....but tourists should know, they should be aware and alert. A little fear keeps you on edge and more observant, but folk are going over there with the misguided belief that all is well....this is wrong.

I also believe there will be a biggie in the next year or so, these terrorists are waiting for huge tourist numbers and a relaxation of the forces protecting them....then they’ll strike. If there is another biggie, I don’t think Tunisia will recover in terms of tourism.
In my eyes, they were the true heroes of the day :love:
The lifeguards forming that protective line on the beach, the man throwing tiles off the roof, the hotel staff hiding guests in laundry cupboards etc...they deserved far more recognition than they got....same with the haunted tour guide I met at Bardo....he tried so hard to hide people :Cry:

MH007

Administrator
Staff member
I did too.....I always felt safe while I was there (except from he that promised I was safe). The only time I felt a little on edge, was after the FO advice after Sousse...to hide anything on me that identified me as British, a passport, clothing etc, not to speak loudly in English in public, not to have bank cards etc in public.....this advise put me on edge, but only fleetingly.

It was only after I left and started following Tunisian news and current affairs that I became afraid.....I had no idea that the pot I was living in had been so close to boiling over....and it frightened me.

Things are close to real boiling point there now, so much stuff doesn’t make our news, so much is relatively hidden....but tourists should know, they should be aware and alert. A little fear keeps you on edge and more observant, but folk are going over there with the misguided belief that all is well....this is wrong.

I also believe there will be a biggie in the next year or so, these terrorists are waiting for huge tourist numbers and a relaxation of the forces protecting them....then they’ll strike. If there is another biggie, I don’t think Tunisia will recover in terms of tourism.

In my eyes, they were the true heroes of the day :love:
The lifeguards forming that protective line on the beach, the man throwing tiles off the roof, the hotel staff hiding guests in laundry cupboards etc...they deserved far more recognition than they got....same with the haunted tour guide I met at Bardo....he tried so hard to hide people :Cry:
They really were hero's and so brave - trouble is you will get terrorists everywhere take London, Manchester and Paris for example. I recently was in Tunisia but not in a tourist hotel nor resort and felt completely safe.

MH x

Mango Chutney

Staff member
British tourists urgently warned against travelling to Tunisia amid terror attack risk
Holidaymakers across the UK are being told to keep away from the country, which is situated in northern Africa.

Scots warned against travelling to Tunisia over increased terror attack risks
The Foreign & Commonwealth Office warning comes after two suicide bombings in the capital Tunis last month.

New Tunisia travel warning issued due to 'higher risk of terror attacks'

Well, it's a sure thing I won't be booking a flight in a hurry :thumbsup:

Bostons

Inactive
There is also an outbreak of measles in Tunisia since May 2019 https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/travel-health-notices/193
Also Canadian travellers are warned of high risk level when visiting Tunisia
Risk level(s)
TUNISIA - Exercise a high degree of caution
Exercise a high degree of caution in Tunisia due to the nationwide risk of civil unrest and terrorist attacks.
Yeah... real safe place to travel, eh? *sarcasm*
I wouldn't dip my pinky TOE into that country!

Bostons

Inactive
I wonder how many more countries have Tunisia as a high risk? Looks like tourism in Tunisia is going to take a steep dive!!
There are many...although many of them never had much tourism to begin with.

Iran, Iraq, Afganistan, Pakistan, Lebanon, Syria.... the list goes on. Difference is that tourism wasn't much to begin with. With Tunisia it appears that it has had some tourism success in the past. Problem is with the rats and the terrorism...along with people feeling fleeced and introduced to dirty conditions it'll take alot to get people back.

Last edited:

Mango Chutney

Staff member
New Zealand:

Australia:

Ireland:

Judithlyn

Senior Rat Expert
New Zealand:

Australia:

Ireland:

These security warnings and measles warnings are GREAT, but not broadcast loudly enough or reach enough potential victims! Can a “techie” person put those warnings on Google for all potential tourists to see?

I feel like something really horrible is about to happen in Tunisia. The people are so angry at their government, their way of life, and feeling so full of despair and hopelessness! They are trying to leave by any means possible! Doesn’t that tell you how bad the country has become? Apparently many Tunisians have gone into “lawless Libya” and come back with new thinking and ideas, which is truly frightening. There were 3 suicide bombers in Tunisia in this past week and a half. To me, it is just not worth the risk for a holiday. There are too many other beautiful beaches with sun and fun. Why hang around people who want to scam you, trick you, and devastate you if you listen to them for more than one hour? Too dangerous in many ways!

Waste of time those travel advice warnings in a way . Even before Tunisia when I would book a holiday I never read up on any travel advice I used to just book and go as do many people .
What should happen considering holiday company's are still travelling there , when someone is trying to book Tunisia for example a warning should pop up first and redirect them to the gov website

Mango Chutney

Staff member
and I guess that he sports the word "Imbecile" on his forehead :rolleyes:
He is embarrassing :oops:
There was me being told: Don’t be obviously English, no loud talking, wear neutral clothes etc....and he puts that on? And worse yet...puts his wife in danger beside him!
I can appreciate his attitude, but to wear that is just plain stupidity and asking for trouble. Attention seeking fool :rolleyes: