Urgent divorce help needed

J

jekkylandhyde

Hi my friend has just been told by her husband he is divorcing her, he has been in touch with a lawyer who in turn has been in touch with her, he asked if she agreed or not to which she has said no.

What happens from now? she is also pregnant and they had just applied for the visa so that is being cancelled, and the money maybe lost unless the lawyer can do anything about it.

We need to know what will happen, how will the divorce happen, procedures and is it worth her getting a lawyer over there to? She doesnt want the divorce but he wont listen.
:O

Tunisianbelle

'Don't call me Darling!' Mod
If she doesn't want the divorce, then most likely counseling will be ordered to see if the marriage can be salvaged. However, your friend would need to be here in Tunisia for that. I would say that it would be in her best interest to hire a lawyer here at this point since the divorce is not something both agree upon.

Not meaning to be rude, but why would your friend want to stay married to a man who doesn't want her?

paula01

Not meaning to be rude, but why would your friend want to stay married to a man who doesn't want her?
maybe her hormones are all over the place as she is pregnant and thinking about her unborn child without a Father? Its easy to say why would she want to be with a man who doesent want her! what about his child? Would you just give up on your hubby if you were pregnant? maybe she doesent want a divorce as she still loves him? we dont know the story but I do understand where she is coming from. They walk away too easily and leave you with all the stress and worry. None of us can say how we would react as we are not in her shoes are we? Maybe she wants the chance to salvage her marriage and that is the reason that the courts in Tunisia try to arrange this? it makes sense....

Tunisianbelle

'Don't call me Darling!' Mod
I understand wanting a father for your child. I doubt many women get pregnant with the aim of raising the child alone. And I understand wanting to salvage a marriage, but that is only possible if both parties are willing to work on it. Even if the courts in Tunisia send the case to mediation, if he says he doesn't want to work on the marriage, they aren't going to force him to try.

The reason I asked why she would want to stay married to someone who doesn't want her is because just from what I have seen personally, most of the time marriages where only one person wants to be in the marriage fail. While it is possible that he stays and could change his mind and think that it was the best, what will she do if that doesn't happen? If he leaves her later when she is more vulnerable emotionally and possibly financially?

jekkylandhyde, I hope that your friend really thinks about everything and I sincerely hope that the best outcome for her is achieved.

M

mod

Hi everyone. I'm new here and absolutely astonished at the stories, the number of rats and the similarities. I too am married to a Tunisian rat and desperate to divorce him and get rid of him for good but I am having a really impossible time getting a straight answer from a lawyer in Tunis. I get different answers about how long the procedure will take from 15 days to over 4 months, I have to phone them because most only want to deal with fax or phone and do not wish to communicate via email, have quoted from 750 to 2000 dinars and insome cases even when I phone they hang up even though I speak French fluently and they are responding in French.

I suspect my husband married me to get his card here in France. I am an Irish/Canadian national living in France for 7 years and we met in Tunisia. Through a lot of effort after our marriage I got my husband his visa and now he has a 5 year card valid until 2015 but as a family member of an EU national. My husband works but spends all of his earnings on himself - cigarettes, booze, horse racing tickets and if there is anything left or if and when he wished he gives me money for the household yet I have paid all of our taxes, rent, bills and he owes me over 3,000 euros. I have been unemployed for 1.5 years and have been without unemployment benefits for 6 months yet he still refuses to pay for our bills. Just last week he left with all of his things at which point I went to the police to register he had left our marital home. He left the keys except for the mailbox so he can show a proof of address because he has an appointment at the préfecture on 29 December to change the address on his resident car. He has now started as of yesterday paying half of the rent to prove he is doing so just in case and is getting advice from the Tunisian consul here.

I really really need to get rid of him but I am so stuck and desperate. The French authorities tell me I cannot divorce him here because we are not French, our marriage was in Tunisia and it is not recognised here. No one here will help. In Tunisia as explained no one will help because I think mainly I am not there, I get different answers or no answers to my questions about procedure, cost and time. Does anyone have a honest lawyer they can recommend, please please please??? I am really really at my wits end as I have been at this for 2 weeks and I have spent so much money of my savings on phone calls to Tunisia to no avail.

I want to know that I can divorce him quickly or just walk away knowing that we have no children, no comment assets and got married under separation of assets. If I cannot find a lawyer to help can I just walk away and not worry about repercusions if I decide to try to divorce him at a later date say from Canada?

Awaiting your advice. Many thanks. Michelle

A

Ariel

Hi Michelle,

In the UK it is possible to divorce here even if one party is Tunisian and the marriage was in Tunisia if the couple were habitually resident (domiciled) in the UK. I'm not sure whether the law is different in France?

M

mod

Hi

Yes you are right. I just got confirmation that I can do so. Many thanks for your answer.

S

screwed over

i am a canadian and have been married to a tunisian man for over 6 years and he has not yet been approved for a visa but now has told me he wants a divorce and that he will do so without my signature.. how is this possible?

Big Bang Theory

Senior Rat Expert
i am a canadian and have been married to a tunisian man for over 6 years and he has not yet been approved for a visa but now has told me he wants a divorce and that he will do so without my signature.. how is this possible?
Divorce in Tunisia is relatively easy compared to other countries. He will probably give the courts a false address for you then they will write to you 3 times and if they do not receive a reply from you he will get the divorce.