US Embassy, Tunisia

A

alAzima

One must remember that those numbers (except the 3 digit emergency numbers) are Tunis numbers and would be no good for people who live outside of Tunis.
I understand that the three digit emergency service numbers would only work in Tunisia - in country - like 911 works here

But the other numbers can be dialed and reached from abroad. I just called the airport and Allo Taxi ::laughing::

i understand that most of this would only be useful to someone in Tunisia who needed help - unless they wanted to call the airport from abroad to ask something

But I just thought I'd put it out there as we have a few members (several) posting here from Tunisia and maybe others planning to go might want to print it and tuck the list in their wallet? Just wanted to be helpful :)

Tunisianbelle

'Don't call me Darling!' Mod
I did not mean that the numbers couldn't be reached from outside of country. What I meant is that the 71 numbers are located in Tunis. If someone lives in another part of the country (Sousse, Gafsa, Sfax, etc) those contact numbers would be very useless to them unless they wanted to drive all the way to Tunis every time they needed to see a dentist or needed to go to a hospital.

Unfortunately, the Embassy (because it is located in Tunis) only posts information for Tunis and not other cities around the country. A shame since a lot of people branch out and more and more are moving away from staying in jobs located exclusively located in Tunis.

Tunisianbelle

Here is an example of the different city codes in relations to phone numbers (of course this is not a complete list!:p):

CARTHAGE/TUNIS/TUNIS SUBURBS (Capitol) - 71
BIZERTE/HAMMAMET/NABEUL (North/Northeast) - 72
KNEISS/MAHDIA/MONASTIR/SOUSSE (East coast) - 73
CHEBA/SFAX - 74
GABES/MEDENINE/TATAOUINE (Southeast)- 75
GAFSA/SIDI BOUZID/TOZEUR (Southwest) - 76
KAIROUAN/KASSERINE (Midwest) - 77
BEJA/KEF (Northwest)- 78
TAXI PHONES (Pay Phones) - 79
TUNISIE TELECOM CELL PHONES - 9 (90,91,92,94,95,96,97,98,99)
TUNISIANA CELL PHONES - 2 (20,21,22,23,24,25,26)

A

alAzima

Ah, okay I get it now :) I called Allo Taxi last night at like 2am Tunisian time ::laughing::

I'll start poking around and maybe some others can too and see if we can't get a list going that has various areas/regions of Tunisia :)

(f)

Tunisianbelle

I can always help people with anything they need for the area of Monastir :D

What kind of numbers would be productive to post? Doctors (which kinds)? Hospitals? Cliniques?

Etoyoc

Administrator
Staff member
You forgot to mention the 112 central emergency number, same number as in almost all countries in Europe (and in around 50 worldwide).

Etoyoc

Administrator
Staff member
Here is an example of the different city codes in relations to phone numbers (of course this is not a complete list!:p):

CARTHAGE/TUNIS/TUNIS SUBURBS (Capitol) - 71
BIZERTE/HAMMAMET/NABEUL (North/Northeast) - 72
KNEISS/MAHDIA/MONASTIR/SOUSSE (East coast) - 73
CHEBA/SFAX - 74
GABES/MEDENINE/TATAOUINE (Southeast)- 75
GAFSA/SIDI BOUZID/TOZEUR (Southwest) - 76
KAIROUAN/KASSERINE (Midwest) - 77
BEJA/KEF (Northwest)- 78
TAXI PHONES (Pay Phones) - 79
TUNISIE TELECOM CELL PHONES - 9 (90,91,92,94,95,96,97,98,99)
TUNISIANA CELL PHONES - 2 (20,21,22,23,24,25,26)

It is pretty complete - missing is just the new 4x number (TunisieTelecom, Elissa), the special pay numbers 88x (information and services, pay per call) ... and the correct Taxiphone number is 799x (not 79x), the 4th digit represents then the region (same as 2nd digit of the 7x numbers).
Then there are also special 4 digit numbers, mostly 18xx, mostly information services of the government.

http://tunisiepro.net/tunisia/tunisia-telephones.htm

T

tunisblue

i'm still afraid to use the phone, i still can't figure out how much it cost!::Mental::

T

tunisblue

taxiphone, cellphone or house phone? or should i ask from where to where?:huh:
lol. ok cell phone i know if i buy a 10 dinars card, i get about 6 minutes, but from the house phone i have no clue!:w:

Tunisianbelle

I went to the American Embassy in Tunis yesterday to declare the birth of Z and to apply for her passport. Two funny things happened -

1. One of the ladies that works there said that she likes my blog and travel site. She said that she got their links off an e-mail I sent to them. They are part of my signature for my e-mails and I take them off when I send e-mails to the Embassy, but I must have forgotten one time, apparently. Anyways, she says she likes my blog a lot and that my travel site was very helpful to her when she went on vacation this last time.
  2. The new Vice Counsel is from Colorado, we grew up not far from each other, and he is the same age as me! LOL It was kinda nice meeting someone else from Colorado :)

Tunisianbelle

lol. ok cell phone i know if i buy a 10 dinars card, i get about 6 minutes
Where are you calling? I spent 3 dinars last night calling my grandma in Texas and we talked for about 5 minutes. 5 minutes 20 seconds to be exact (my phone times the calls).

T

tunisblue

Where are you calling? I spent 3 dinars last night calling my grandma in Texas and we talked for about 5 minutes. 5 minutes 20 seconds to be exact (my phone times the calls).
from my cell phone, to my hubby in the states. the card went too fast. in the States a $5 dollar card gives me 20-35 minutes to Tunisia.:confused:

funny about the Embassy! your a household name, really should put it all in a book.:D:D:D

so its a new Consular? when we applied, what 6 years ago its was a woman from the Seattle area.:w:

Beansontoast

Rat Expert
Sounds like nice people at the US Embassy,can you send them over to the British Embassy and get them to move thier arses?

Tunisianbelle

Sounds like nice people at the US Embassy,can you send them over to the British Embassy and get them to move thier arses?
When I first moved here, there was an older woman. Tunisian. Very rude. She made everything very difficult for us and would not give us a straight answer for the documents we needed for certain things. I disliked her a LOT (and so did a lot of other people). I was always going to the Embassy so much though that over the years she started being nice to us. She left in 2005 I think it was and the people that came after her got to know me really well because I'm there so much (you'd think I like to go there or something! :D).

The two ladies I dealt with for hubbys IV were really nice - they are both gone now :(

I have heard from others that they do not like the service at the US Embassy. Apart from when I first moved here, I haven't had any problems.

Tunisianbelle

so its a new Consular? when we applied, what 6 years ago its was a woman from the Seattle area.:w:
The consular has been there for about a year or two I think. It;s the vice consular that is pretty new. Not sure how new, but he wasn't here last year when I had things that needed to be done.

Top Bottom