visiting in oct

Discussion in 'RAT-DAR' started by shepster1, Aug 24, 2009.

1. shepster1

shepster1 Member

Hi everyone,
    Can anyone help with a problem i have?
    I am going back out to Tunisia in october to meet a guy i met in may. He is sorting out an apartment for us but being the cautious girl I am I would prefer to have a hotel as a back up.
    The issue I have is what do I do when I get to the resort? i wll have to check into the hotel - but then what do i do - just walk out with my luggage and turn up again for the transfer coach at the end of the week? Also the cleaners will realise the room is empty and presumably contact reception and it could all end up being very complicated! thinking they have 'lost' a guest or something!!:confused:
    thankyou in advance for your advice :)

2. shepster1

shepster1 Member

Hi Patricia,
    thanks for your idea of visiting friends - i think that could work.

I know what you mean about staying in an apartment - i have thought about this alot and am still undecided, hence the hotel back up so i can make up my mind when i get there! The main problem with the hotel is that Tunisian guys generally aren't even allowed in the grounds of the hotel which means if you want to spend time together its in cafes or on the beach rather than chilling in an apartment

3. mezoo

mezoo The Decider

"I would prefer to have a hotel as a back up"---good move :cool:
    i would not worry about anything else. I don't think the hotel cares if you are there or not...:)

4. Tunisianbelle

Tunisianbelle 'Don't call me Darling!' Mod Staff Member

As long as your bags are in the room, the hotel will consider you as occupying the room. However, if you have no bags in the room, and the room doesn't looked lived it, they can and probably will consider you a departed guest and check you out of the system so they can rent the room out.

When I was a hotel manager, this is what we did.

The only way you could get around it is to tell the manager that you will spend a few days away from the hotel, but you want to keep your room, and pay for it up front. You must keep a receipt for the room, and I would even get a managers signature with a note saying it is okay for you to be gone and they will not rent the room out.

5. shepster1

shepster1 Member

Thanks for the help Patricia and Mezoo,

I think I will go ahead with the hotel booking like you say.
    It i such a difficult call - we speak on the phone every day and he appears genuine - enough for me to go back out there but reading numerous posts on these sites there are so many bad stories you can't help but wonder....

thanks ;-)

6. shepster1

shepster1 Member

Hi Tunisianbelle
    the hotel will be paid for as part of a package holiday with Thomas Cook. In this case could they still consider me a departed guest?

7. Tunisianbelle

Tunisianbelle 'Don't call me Darling!' Mod Staff Member

If Thomas Cook has booked a block of rooms as part of a gropu holiday, it is unlikely they will consider you departed. However, if you just booked a single package holiday from Thomas Cook by yourself, then yes, they most likely will consider you departed.

8. Beansontoast

Beansontoast Moderator Staff Member

Maybe they just think you have been murdered or that you are stuck in the lift.

9. mezoo

mezoo The Decider

or stepped out for a snack...::AngeL::

10. WouldI

WouldI Guest

lateral thinking! :D

11. WouldI

WouldI Guest

OMG he's starting a story!!!! argggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhh!!! :D;)

12. shepster1

shepster1 Member

lol very funny!! ;) :D

13. the highlander

the highlander Well-Known Member

hi shepster

ok am going to be practical??? hard for me but here goes
    i see your friend hasnt given up? lol
    ok
    now would you really go over and spend 1 or 2 weeks with a stranger?
    remember how ever long you have chatted on phone YOU REALLY DONT KNOW HIM
    so hows this
    book the hotel
    STAY in the hotel untill you are sure
    then maybe spend a cpl or 3 or 4 nights together
    am not trying to put a downer on you holiday but i can see him rubbing his hands in delight
    heres a off the wall suggestion hahahaha
    ask him if he really wants to see you then he can stump up for the fights the hotel and the appartment
    hahaha
    see what happens
    but pls pls what ever then take care
    you are a stranger in a strange country always always be careful
    the highlander

14. ArabChick

ArabChick Spamtastic Member

Sound advice from the hairy one!! :D

Take it from him ... they don't come much stranger than a Scot!! LOL

:D

15. shepster1

shepster1 Member

Hi hun, have pm ed you but basically he cant stump up the money for one bloody phone call so i'm not hanging out for a flight!! i see this as another doomed tunisian romance!! one of many i'm sure you will be hearing about before the year is over!!(u)

16. shepster1

shepster1 Member

not that i'm drunk or bitter......

17. Lottie

Lottie New Member

*HUGS* to you Shepster :)

Take care of yourself first, always xxx

18. maya

maya Member

I think you are very smart doing this. I have done the very same thing, at first it was mainly because it was cheaper to buy flight + hotel + transfer than just a single ticket and arrange my own airport transfer etc. And, in the end I did feel more comfortable having my own room. Also to have a safe haven etc. I went back to surprise him so I booked a room for him at the same hotel.

If I would still be head over heels after the 2nd time, I would go back in September and he would arrange an appartment. BUT if I would, I would still have my own room. If you're afraid that they'll give up your room, bring some old clothes or towels that you can leave around the room and leave a book on your nightstand.

19. shepster1

shepster1 Member

Hi Lottie

I need some nurofen rather than a hug this morning:)

Have read your thread. I hope your new relationship is more successful than mine. Just go and have fun and if it comes to nothing then you know you tried. I'm not that bitter about what has happened with my man as it has been fun talking and texting with him. just a bit annoyed i don't have an excuse to book another holiday this year:D:D

20. curlylocks09

curlylocks09 Active Member

If you have a transfer, there is normally a Thomas Cook rep on the coach, explain to them that you will be visiting friends and will not always be in the hotel and they can explain to Reception then I've seen lots of people do this and as long as the hotel know, you will be fine.

21. TunisiaMoon

TunisiaMoon Guest

OMG!!! MEN!!!! Selfish arses!!!:D