Will Tunisian ever be a safe place for Europeans to have a holiday?

Discussion in 'Tunisian News & Current Events' started by Laura2014, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Laura2014

Laura2014 Well-Known Member

The inquest into the deaths of 30 British Tourists in June 2015 in Tunisia has concluded today that all 30 were unlawfully killed.

They ruled that the response by police was woefully inadequate, at best hapless at worst cowardly. The Tunisian Government has asked for the travel advice to Tourists to be amended stating that Tunisia is not the same country now and that they have learnt from this tragedy. Indeed the head of tourism states Tunisia is now 100% safe for tourists!

I'm not in any way reassured by this. It's acknowledged that up to 7,000 Tunisian men were fighting for Isis, many are now returning from Iraq and Libya through the back Door through unguarded border areas.

In my view Tunisia remains a dangerous place for tourists. They certainly would not be able to reassure me of my safety there.

In a country rife with corruption and secrecy how could anyone trust this information. The desire for tourists to boost the failing economy is so great I fear that they would say anything to bring tourists back.

Of course Tunisia cannot mend its broken economy without investment, it's a catch 22, but so long as they bury their head in the sand about the real problems and challenges there I doubt that they will win back the confidence of Tourists.

I don't want to go on holiday and constantly feel afraid. I don't know what the answer is, but as long as young radicalised angry disenfranchised unemployed young men are returning to Tunisia unchecked and free roam and to integrate with unsuspecting tourists then Tunisia is not somewhere I want to return too.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    RedRose, spartacus, Heidi and 2 others like this.
  2. Mango Chutney

Mango Chutney Well-Known Member

A very well worded post. Sadly, I personally believe that when the ban is lifted, we will be sitting ducks there now if we arrive en masse. We have almost been made the perfect target by our government putting the initial ban in place, but our government made the right decision, they had an obligation to their citizens...there was nothing else our FO could do to ensure our safety. We are now the golden victim, terrorism wants Tunisia to fail and another terrorist attack on tourists is the key.

ISIS are always looking for new recruits and those disillusioned youths are the perfect target market for them, as has been proven by the masses that have already joined...and unfortunately, many of them have returned home to Tunisia after becoming radicalised and receiving training. ISIS pay them an initial lump sum of about four thousand dinar, after that, a monthly wage of around five hundred dinar is then paid directly to the new recruit or sent to the family (most opt for the latter). I received this information from Houssem, I was always a little concerned that he held this information, as I was made very aware of his extremist sympathies by himself. This amount of money is massive to the unemployed youth. Some join because it's their true belief, others think they can just get the money, do the training and go home as wealthy heroes. The reality doesn't work this way though, they are expected to fight.

I am of the belief that the families of the deceased are now taking independent action against TUI, this will cost them millions if the cases are won by the families. What price for a life? It could be huge, so I can't imagine our tourist industry is going to be in a hurry to open the door again. On a corporate level, I imagine insurance is going to go through the roof for travel agencies, so it's not cost effective for a business to send anyone there.

Tunisia needs to fix itself from within, with regards to employment, corruption and I will include bezness. The violent street protests are are almost daily, it is just not safe to be there. I honestly don't know how Tunisia can fix itself, they are living on foreign handouts given to a greedy and corrupt government, the money is not going to the areas it needs to. Their two biggest income revenues are destroyed, those being potassium and tourism, jobs are getting less and less...the people are frustrated, but scamming innocents and abandoning the country is not going to fix it. There is nothing solid in Tunisia for foreign investors to want to invest in. I just see the country collapsing, it's a brewing pot, at some point it will boil over and I think it will be devastating.

Personally, I've never hidden my love of the country itself, nor my weakness for its history and the many genuine, warm and caring people I met. If Houssem was not there and the country was not so unsafe, I would have happily settled there, but I will never return. The terrorism aspect is terrifying, we are not safeguarded from conmen and so I know my safety is at high risk there. I will never return and I truly say that with a heavy heart. Amongst the rubble and the con men, Tunisia hides some true beauty. Myself and my camera will now seek safer shores.

RedRose and Heidi like this.
  3. Mango Chutney

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-02-24-07-28-24 Screenshot_2017-02-28-23-39-42_kindlephoto-5502519.jpg Screenshot_2017-02-28-23-38-18_kindlephoto-4946571.jpg The foreign office advice is still the same. The country is absolutely plagued by returning jihadists and radicalised locals. Many jihadists are returning by sea, a lot of them are also making illegal journeys to Italy, so the Tunisian coastline is a bit better protected now.

The State of emergency that was put in place while I was there in November 2015 has just extended again, it gets extended every time it's close to do the end of its new extension because of the returning jihadists and the daily violent street protests...very frightening to witness!

The state of emergency was also put in after Sousse, I was there then too, there are curfews and stricter rules in place during these times. They hadn't long lifted the state of emergency before putting it back in again after the November attack on the presidential guards in Tunis and the attempted bombing of the shopping mall, also in Tunis.

It's truly just not safe there, not so much on an individual level, though I personally would not risk it, but more on a group level. I was advised to hide anything that identified my nationality by the British Embassy in Tunis, bank cards, passport, my voice! I was fortunate enough that most Tunisian people believed I was Tunisian based on my appearance, though I did have to alter my English clothing a little, speak quietly in public, avoid crowded places etc. I was not on holiday, but living there, a tourist just cannot afford to be off their guard....not the relaxing holiday we wish for!

RedRose and Heidi like this.
  4. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

So you did not have any insurance coverage while you was there ? I bet your rat told you "Don´t you worry, I´ll keep you save" :Evil:

5. Mango Chutney

Me? I'd never, ever travel anywhere without insurance! It got harder to find insurance and was more expensive, but I would refuse to travel without it. But yes, he told me those exact words :D

Amira and Heidi like this.
  6. Mango Chutney

7. Heidi

Heidi The Sleuth

Latest:

[​IMG]

Tunisia Security Update Alert:
    Incident: Tunisair (TU, Tunis) has suspended all operations until further notice.

• Date: 9 March 2017
    • Type of Incident: Travel
    • Risk Level: LOW
    • Source: CH Aviation
    Tunisair (TU, Tunis) has suspended all operations until further notice. A statement issued to the AFP news agency says the move comes amid growing “tensions” between the airline’s pilot corps and technicians which culminated in physical clashes at Tunis Carthage International Airport on the morning of Thursday, March 9.
    Tunisair added that it had suspended all flights “in order to preserve the safety of its fleet”.

“Due to new tensions between two Tunisair trade unions and the altercation this morning at Tunis-Carthage, the company has decided to stop all flights until further notice,” it said.

http://tunisiasecurityupdate.com/tunisia-security-alert-tunisair-suspends-all-operations/

spartacus and Mango Chutney like this.