Your experience with the Tunisian Police-Thread

Discussion in 'The Cat's Coffee House' started by catgirl, Jul 6, 2012.

1. catgirl

catgirl Well-Known Member

A few of you have mentioned, that the Tunisian people are not afraid of the Police anymore.
    Maybe some are not, but the once I spoke to had a different opinion about this.
    And they also think, that the majority of the Tunisian people still have the
    bad experiences with their policeforce in mind and would like to have NO contact with the police at all.
    Not even as a witness.
    They say, corruption and bribery is still around. Different then before, but still around.

My witness (the brother of an employee of my hotel who spend the day with me sightseeing and shopping) disappeared after I really went to the Medina/Tourist police and got three policemen following me.
    He and also his brother told me later, that they have had the experience, that the police will give the people trouble, asking "Why do you have contacts with tourists?"
    they would even go to the employer of the people and interviewing them about the person (witness) and beside that, they will check the employer, if all papers are okay, all taxes paid etc.
    The owner of the shop my witness worked in became suddenly very quiet, when I came along with three policemen from Medina/Tourist Police to talk to the guy who molested me and "offered" me, to hit me!
    And many people in the Medina, who were witness of the incident did not
    call the police on their cell/mobile phone, after I have asked them to do.
    Even the guy working in the taxiphone shop did really hesitate to call the police from one of his phoneboots for me!
    I had to step out of the Medina to asked a person to call the police for me, which he did.
    But he must have been the 10th person I have asked to help me and the first who did!

I mean, when you had experienced DECATES of pressure and bribery and blackmailing by the corrupt policeforce in your contry, it is not
    out of your head all of a sudden because there has been a "Revolution".
    Your grandparents and your parents also told you to beware and better change the side of the pavement when you see policemen coming towards you.

The police was called from this man outside the Medina. I was waiting at Porte de Medina for one hour and no police came around.
    At least a woman came out of a shop and told me, that there is a Medina Police and where I can find it.
    Obviously the Tunisian men are more aware about their national police force as the women are and are less couragous as the Tunisian women! ?? !!

So I went there, told the policemen what has happened and they walked with me up the street (Rue de Paris in Medina Sousse). While I was walking with them, the Medina salesmen became quiet, when they have spotted the police.
    And they were not wearing a uniform, they wore plain clothes.

Even the guy who molested me and pushed me and offered to beat me up, wanted to escape with his car, when he saw me coming out of the Medina with three men.
    He started his car and wanted to disappear. One of the policemen stopped him.

At that day, I was really pissed off.
    They want your money (in the Medina) and the people complain, that the tourists are not coming in that number than before, but if a tourists needs their help,
    they are refusing to do so!

I mean, I did not asked them, to beat the idiot up for me, I only asked them, to make ONE phonecall (which I even pay for)
    BECAUSE:
    I don´t know the number of the police and I do not speak Arabic.

And what I have seen at the police station in Sousse-Center (near Corniche Boujafaar) was not a "nice come together with cake and coffee" at all.
    Policemen shouting at the people. People crying. One guy was beaten up by policemen, his t-shirt was torn apart. The guy was pushed back and forth. Forced to sit on the dirty floor, even if there were enough seats around.
    I saw relatives of the arrested people coming in and begging the police for...?...
    I dont know...Mercy?...Fairness?...
    I saw the policemen behaving very rude to the local people.
    They were friendly to me, especially after I have mentioned the words "Ambassade allemagne" and "Advocate".

Okay, I do understand the Tunisian people after that experience that they dont want contact with the police, but if they want tourists to come, there must be a way of help, if the tourists are in need!

marilyna and Galadriel like this.
  2. Galadriel

Galadriel Globe Trotter Extraordinaire

Exactly !!! No help for non nationals, bullying and intimidation for Tunisians that have to come in contact with them.....

marilyna likes this.
  3. catgirl

Next time I will take a cell phone/ mobile phone with me and get a SIM card from Tunisiana or Tunisia Telecom or Orange...or whatever there is...
    So I can help myself, when I need the police again!

Okay, after the local people try to explain me the reason of their behaviour, I can understand that.
    I was thinking positive about the (tunisian) police to call, as I am used to the police of Germany (and GB and Belgium and France and Holland and Denmark),
    who are called by the local people in Germany "your friend and helping hand".
    BUT what would have happend to the guy in the Medina, if he would have really beaten me up?
    Would the people in the Medina help me to get rid off him?

4. catgirl

This Tunisian man said at the police station suddenly, that he has got a Dutch passport and he will leave the country tomorrow.
    I said to the policemen, that I assume, that this is a lie. Nothing but a lie.
    He did not have his Dutch passport with him, only his Tunisian ID Card. So, for me he is a Tunisian citizen. And for the Tunisian police as well.
    I said, that I want to see his Dutch passport NOW. He said, it´s in his house. Then I said, he should call somebody to bring it here.

The guy was happy to get away only with shoutings of the policemen at him and their pressure of making him sit on the chair and be quiet.
    Maybe he offered good bakshish to them!
    I reported him and his data was recorded in the book of records at the police.
    The police asked him for his signature under the report and he was signing there.
    Then they wanted me to sign there as well. I refused and said to them, that I can not read Arabic and so I do not know what I am signing for.
    The police man banged his fists against the wall and saying to me "Woman, you make me crazy".

After a while they were letting this guy go...first him and then me.
    This guy, 48 years old, even called his half family to come to the police station to support him. Poor little jerk.
    I was standing there on my own, foreign woman with only German, English and French knowledge, without knowing anybody around, and fought for myself.
    I am sure, he paid well to the police men, that´s why he got out of there so easily.
    And I could imagine, that a local person without residence in a foreign country, like him, had more problems with the police than he had?!?!
    Or what do you think?

5. NetNiet

NetNiet EVIL member :D

I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

But in general the police is changed.
    But the policesystem was very very ill like we all know, you can't change that as fast as we like.
    People write still at the internet about money paid to the police, tourists are writing that, they heard about that, but I doubt that is true, I think if there are policemen now these days asking for money.....they will get into big problem with the public but also at their work.
    Tourists who do pay policemen are very wrong to my perosnal opnion, because that way you support the corrupty and you don;t respect the Revolution.

Policemen are now mostly working far from their own place than they used to live and work.
    That way they're trying to let them do their work, because in their hown town there is too much history to let them do their work.

I will respond at some parts of what you did wite.

Again I think the corrupty is for most part blah blah blah.....yes offcourse there will be few incidents it happends, but the majority....no!

Afraid is something different than not having respect and not want to be involved in any way with the police.

Don't forget that up to 1,5 years ago the police could make your life and that from your family, a living hell. So you can''t expect that that feeling which they are brought up with is gone in such a short time comparing to their age and history.

Well what is wrong with this......?
    It's their work to control if the papers are ok etc.
    And protecting tourists, good I think!
    A lot of members are saying at this website allways that there must come a law etc to protect them from "rats", so when the police is protecting "tourists" by shopping sounds great as a first step isn't it?

In general, the police is very well protecting tourists!

Like I said, they prefer not to get involved in someones others problems.

Yep!

Don't forget the history and it was in the past possible that when a Tunisian man only whistle to a European lady and she went to the police, the Tunisian man ended up in jail.

Yes they wear less uniforms these days, that is also for protection for them.
    If policemen are working in their own town and they have to come in action, they wear very often masks.

I assume that you don't speak Tunisian, so you will not know why that man was brought in and beaten up, you weren't there when happened why he was taken in.
    In general I agree no reason for beaten up persons, but again I wasn't there so who knows what happened and why.

They did help you didn't they?
    And to be honest, I think they did great to come with you, get the man in and make a report, I don't know how it works in the UK, but in Holland if someone is threatening you with only words, the police will not even make a report from it, so coming with you and taking the man in and making a report....you can only dream about that!
    The police in Holland will come in action after you've been hurt and than you're lucky if you aren't dead!

Yes I can almost guaranty you that, Tunisian people will help when a woman or tourists are beating up by Tunisian or even other tourists.

I think this man only made one call to someone he knew and than the "Tunisian systems gets in working";) everyone is calling everyone, the stories are spread and made bigger with every phonecall and yes everyone will go to the policestation......

You say you're sure he paid the police, may I ask did you see it? Or do you assume that?
    If you're not sure, please stop spreading this kind of information and that you're sure about it, because than you support the corrupty in a way.

Again I'm very sorry that this happened to you and it's far from a nice experience, but what would you like the police did more than, come with you, take the man in and make a report from it?
    What did you expect more?
    That he did had to go to prison for threatening you with words?
    Again I don't want to underestimate it, but this report will go in the system, so he has now I guess a criminal record.
    Do you think he should have gone to jail for it?

catwoman1 likes this.
  6. Laurence

Laurence Well-Known Member

Personally I had only good experiences with the tunsian police and as a foreign woman I always have been protected very well by them.

7. Galadriel

The word to describe them after an incident involving the theft of husbands wallet at the Souk le Had he was cornered and pushed in a heavy crowd, was inept. The word, still prerevolution with regards to close friend when I was with her during a long nighttime louage trip was bullying and intimidating to her, well lets say they tried. Both times I saw and experienced personally. When myself and husband were with a non national resident and were stopped at a road block I would describe them as rude, and attempting to be intimidating. I would have taken their ID numbers if in UK and reported them.

marilyna likes this.
  8. mezoo

mezoo The Decider

i like the tunisian police and have never had a problem with them. ever. now american cops, the worst.
    p.s. communists have revolutions.

Amira, NetNiet and crazypink like this.
  9. Mona1

Mona1 Well-Known Member

We have never had any trouble with the police, neither before nor after the revolution but then again neither were in trouble either with the police or with criminals. They did a sterling job getting my husband's B3 and passport and our local police station were always incredibly helpful when we registered or had any questions.

I must say, however, that I have seen quite different treatment of resident tourists by the officials. The more the tourist demanded his/her rights (especially where the carte de séjour was concerned) the slower everything moved and the more amused the official became. :)

marilyna and NetNiet like this.
  10. Galadriel

Can`t say about American cops, (except for one who came and policed in Vancouver area from California, he needed a lobotomy, showed the kids his gun and said he would use it if he had to, didn`t last long) but customs officers- atrocious and Canadian not much better, I would rather have crossed into Iran. Tunisian customs far better.

NetNiet likes this.
  11. Mona1

Mona1 Well-Known Member

Back to the carte de séjour - the ex-pats (all European nationalities) were incredibly rude and banged on about their rights or how disgusting it was that they had to wait, blah blah blah....the more they gave a tirade the more the officials dug their heels in and after having seen their behaviour I actually completely understood why they were treated the way they were.

12. gem15

gem15 Well-Known Member

What rights does a CDS give them anyway??? Even if you dont have the CDS you are still entitled to be there over the 3 months as you can get a temporary one if need be. I waited 8 months for my last one and theres no point banging fists on tables here in Sousse as its the Police Office in Tunis that causes the delay.

You only really really need a CDS to buy a car or house etc but then you still have to wait.

13. Laurence

I had a resident card in Tunisia for long years and I always got real quickly prolongations. Police services were always very polite and helpful, as was the national security service as well. In case of exceptional delay I even got once a provisory resident's card. Maybe because I'm living in a non touristic area not depending on Tunis.

NetNiet and marilyna like this.
  14. Mona1

Mona1 Well-Known Member

Gem they were mainly much older people who were wanting to retire to Tunisia. The ones I saw in the office were French an British and they were really rude to the official and demanding immediate attention and that their application be worked on there and then. The more they raised their voices the more the official delayed sending the application off!

I, personally, never applied for a CDS as I never exceeded the three months at any one time.

Laurence, I have also only had good experiences with the police, national security and the officials. They have always been polite, helpful and have worked very fast on all the matters we had.

NetNiet likes this.
  15. gem15

gem15 Well-Known Member

A temp CDS can be done on the same day but the laminated ones take alot longer as all the paperwork has t go to Tunis.

Both myself and my dad sent them off at the same time this year and I got mine a month before my dad got his. It never makes sense. Ha Ha

NetNiet likes this.
  16. Sillygirl55

Sillygirl55 Well-Known Member

@Laurence, do you have any idea how we can get email addresses for the main police station in Tunis and for the police in Ezzahra please? We have searched everywhere and keep coming up against a brick wall, it's so frustrating!

17. Laurence

I really have no precise idea SG, but I would contact the Ministère de l'Intérieur in Tunis and ask for help there. They go about the whole police force in Tunisia.

Sillygirl55 likes this.
  18. Sillygirl55

Sillygirl55 Well-Known Member

Thank you, we will definitely try that. This rat chose the wrong victim, once he dragged her children into it, things got nasty. Thanks for your advice, we shall definitely follow that through :)

19. StannisTheMannis

StannisTheMannis Active Member

They will probably stop him but they won't call the police after that , nor will they testify if you ask them to .